Tech Problems: Please Read

Tools    

Yes, tech problems have plauged the site for the last couple of hours. They seem to be gone now, thankfully. For awhile there, though, it seems the main page, Shoutbox, and a few other pages now and then, were producing errors. I hope this is done with now. I'm sorry for the inconvienence.

Rock God
perhaps i'll live to forgive you.......

....... perhaps.

Now With Moveable Parts
Het, Chris:
I couldn't get a dial up connection on my computer, so I'm at my mom and dad's, using their's. I'm logged in under my name of course, but I'm having trouble getting my PM's. Everytime I got to "Forum Options" it's not refreshed, same with," New Posts". Clicking the refresh button only helps once in awhile...I'm confused. Is there some sort of setting that I need to do...I just want my damn, new PM's!

Try hitting Control-F5, which should do a "hard" refresh...IE: forcing the page to load the new version. If that doesn't work, you can try clearing out your cache...it's cumbersome, but it ought to work. I can also stick some no-cache meta tag headers onto the PM/New Posts page. Just let me know...

Now With Moveable Parts
cache? i have no idea what that means..and I'm on their computer...so...I don't want to do anything scary that would get my Dad to yell at me. I'm having trouble enough with their funky keyboad!(Forgive any typos, more than usual )
So, this F5 thing...can I press that at anytime?

HOLD on "Ctrl," and hit F5, then let go of both. Do this on the page you want to refresh to show the new information (New Posts, PM Inbox, etc). It might not work, though. It's worth trying, but I wouldn't put anything on it.

Cache, simply put, is the big batch of files your computer copies from the web onto your hard drive. Your computer does this all the time...saves the logo on this site, for example, onto your hard drive, so when you visit again later, it loads a lot faster...it uses the cached version. As a result, sometimes, it uses cached pages, too...thus not giving you the latest version when it loads. I'm not sure if your dad would dislike your wiping out the cache or not. Some people would, some wouldn't. It depends on several things.

Anyway, I think I've got the no-cache meta tag headers on most MoFo pages now...so that might help.

Now With Moveable Parts
Okay.*trying to look like I understand* thanks.

Yep, more tech problems. The webhost upgraded to a more recent version of PHP and problems inevitably ensued. They tweaked things a bit and now all is cool, thankfully.

The Gweat and Tewwible
Why exactly was the site closed down for a day? Nothing has been fixed or changed.

Nothing noticable. There's a lot that goes on behind the scenes. The data was being "rolled back" each day so that many posts, shouts, users, threads, etc, were lost. I lost an entire box office report (argh, I hate re-writing things) as a result, too.

It APPEARS that this is fixed now...the forums were closed so that no one would post/do anything that they might just have to re-do again the next day. I opened them when I felt at least partially convinced (I'm still not sure) that it might not happen again.