Semi-Lurkers

Tools    

Female assassin extraordinaire.
what's the deal with the izzies?

hehe. and it's "berate" ... hmm, as for privacy ... no one should be expected to share more, though of course you may wish they would. the net is filled with strangers. in the same way that you dont' share your business with strangers on the street, you don't on the net. while it's not necessarily likely to hurt you, it's still, once again, the principle, and there's nothing at all unnatural about not wanting to flirt too much or reveal too much about your personal life to people you don't know, no matter how nice they seem. there's a reservation there to protect information - and of course, the net right now is striving to meet that need in users so that they feel more confident about using it while accessing OTHER information.

my father used to tell me to never let people know my phone number. not even friends. i couldn't say whether someone was home with me or not when someone called - just that they were not available. i couldn't tell people my parents were divorced. i couldn't say what religion I was. he felt this was personal business and family business and no one else's. he was an intensely private man and i understood his reasoning though i didn't agree with it when it came to wanting to divulge information for my own convenience.

so anyway ... the net is about sharing information with a limit upon the free range with which you spill your personal info. most websites, if they do allow this, are organized to fit a particular need ... as in, this is a movie site so we spill our movie related info. i'm sure family support sites have people sharing the latest drama that happened between a troubled teenager and his abusive father. etc etc. these are things people would deliberatly seek out and spill ... it's very rare when you come across any site where people behave as their true and total selves and let ALL info out as if the people they speak to are people they've known for years, rather than a few to several months. that kind of disclosure can make others uncomfortable and feel like "too much" - airing laundry that doesn't need to be aired and that for some may seem totally inappropriate for a public forum, let a lone a site with a theme. hence some people who can't stand the flirting on MoFo ... can't please everyone. so, a happy medium of respect is all we can aim for.

i really don't think there's anything major about people on invisible. if they never speak and have no posts at all - i'd encourage them to post, since it's a forum and we're not gonna bite. but announcing yourself as you surf - really no big deal.

i agree with you Thmilin.
........what say i just follow you around and say "i agree with Thmilin" or "i disagree with Thmilin".....ha ha ha ha. it just seems like i've done it a few times........

I just found out how to become univisble I thought I was the visble for you guys all the time but it just didn't say your name cause you know your there oh well you can tell when I'm on now I was just messing around with the options I'd like to ask you guys and gals how you add those pictures on your posts tell me please thanks

Female assassin extraordinaire.
lol, it's cool Patti, i don't mind an entourage!

gone
I'm at work, all links I visit show up on traffic reports, I sit near my "team leader" (the other word for group suck up) and every now and again I this forums colour scheme from afar, I thought he might be checking up on me and this is why I'm hiding my *** deep in the trenches! (damn they'll probably read this post)

The other option would just not to browse the forums at work, but that will involve working at work, which just doesn't make any sense. (I'm signing my own P45 termination form here)

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!

Well my job consists of making sure kids are typing. I hear the clickety clacket of the keyboard so I KNOW they're typing.

Next week, however, I move down to the other lab and will assume the Semi-Lurker status.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

i've never lurked......but when i fall into an anti-social phase (my posting slows way up cuz i don't have much to say )- i don't need to lurk because i pretty much am in my own little invisible mode mentally.

oops, my pathology is showing.

Now With Moveable Parts
patti, you so cra-zay. I love ya!

The very first post I ever read was the "Best Animated Film" thread -- I posted on it the very same day. And I've never just watched since.

Meanwhile, no one ever "touches base" with me. Am I regular?

Or irregular?

Better get me some metamucil.

i always address you silver! so does sades, and T, and Toose, and spud.....we all do. isn't that what you mean? better keep some Metamucel on hand though, just in case.

Lol.
I just wanted to see the reaction, and if I got a reaction like that I could make it my "Highlight" in the highlight of your day Tab.

Hee hee.

Nothing like feeling accepted.

SB... I love ya man.

Semi Lurkers, by definition, are those who participate but turn off their names so no one can see when they're online. I had a day or two when I posted something and got an immediate response from someone in semi-lurker (invisible) mode. Just wondered what they're hiding??

Run Silent, Run Deep

that's my defination for the guys on invisble mode.