What Makes a Good Movie Review Site?

Tools    

If this Questions doesn't belong here let me know.

I have been doing alot of surfing around lately looking at all kinds of different movie review sites, and I was wondering what do you look for in a good site? What makes a site one that you would go back to in the future, compared to one that you goto once and never return.

This is my list, let me know you if you have something to add.
  • Content that changes at least a couple of times a week
  • A site that is clean looking and easy to get around
  • Fun and entertaining
  • Reviews are serious and help you out
  • the people are nice and very helpful

Stuff I don't like.
  • Pop-up ads that annoy the helll out of you.
  • Reviews that are all one sided
  • Sites that look Ugly

What do you look for in a good site? Give Links to good sites that you like..

Thanks
PopcornMonster

shop.popcornmonsters.com
Buy stuff for cheap!

I've moved this to the Movie Forums Site Stuff forum. It was either that or Intermission: Miscellaneous Chat, and this one seemed slightly more appropriate. I'm open to suggestions, however.

This seems good, I wasn't sure where to put it.

So Yoda are you like the guy that runs this place? or are you just a helper? You seem to be everywhere. I hope if you are a helper you get paid well

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Yoda is the Head Hancho, and I'm in second command (only for a short while longer).

Personally, I tend to enjoy a site that looks very good, as well as a reviewer that adds some humor to their review (ie., if they're seeing it with a normal audience, things that might annoy them while watching it).

If you can glue me to your review by adding humor, and making me want to see the movie (if I haven't already) I'd say you have a good review site going.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Thanks Spudracer for the info. I agree, if you feel that you can relate to the reviewer then you are more likely going to believe them, and trust their judgement.

I think that is probably why I don't like Professional critics, because all these guys do is watch movies and they probably do it in a room by themselves and they notice the little things that nobody cares about..

Spudracer, where are you going in a short while? you leaving this fine site?

Originally posted by PopcornMonster
Spudracer, where are you going in a short while? you leaving this fine site?
I wish I wasn't leaving this fine site. I'm enlisted in the Navy, and I'll be shipping out for Basic Training on the 9th

Oh,

Well good luck to you. I know a bunch of people in the Navy and they say it is a real adventure..

Good Luck!

Beware the Moon
Interesting question. As there seems to be an ever widening collection of movie reviewers popping up all over the net nowadays, it can be difficult to differentiate between cool and crap.

Content that changes at least a couple of times a week
Not always practical, so I would be happy as long as there was reguarly updated content.

A site that is clean looking and easy to get around
Easy navigation is essential in designing a website, but some nice graphic design can make a lot of difference as long as it doesn't contain an even balance. Nothing bland or boring and nothing too bright ot garish.

Fun and entertaining
Most review websites are written for fun but others suffer as the fun and entertainment kind of dissappears from the page when every new screen you open is trying to sell you something. Are you looking for a movie review site or a home shopping site. The reader/surfer needs to be able to tell the difference as soon as he/she hits your welcome page.

Reviews are serious and help you out
Any reviewer worth his salt will attempt to give you a serious view of a film, it may in many cases be an opinion based upon their own preferences but that is why you find a reviewer with a similar taste. Beware the "professional movie critics"....you know who pays their salary!!

the people are nice and very helpful
Most movie reviewers that you can contact are generally helpful and are usually quite happy to speak to you.

Pop-up ads that annoy the helll out of you.
Pop-ups are the insipid bane of surfers. Easily avoided as long as you don't pick a site that is sponsored by everybody on the Net. It is sad that some people use them unashamedly to make a quick buck when apart from the advertising their site is quite good.

Reviews that are all one sided
Most reviews are in some respect but is it an informed one sided review or just an ill informed juvenile rant.

Sites that look Ugly
Once again that is down to how well thought out and how well the site is designed. I think "Frontpage" has a lot to answer for.

Hope thats of some help

Now With Moveable Parts
MoFo (this site. Catchy nick name, eh?) is my home. I visit this site several times a day and have met some of THE coolest people here.

I also frequent Logan's site. (See Logan's profile and or sig for the link) He and his partner have a very cool place to tool around on.

Thanks for the info guys, I think we are the same page, and I think that is probably what everyone else, thinks as well.

Making a website that everyone likes is hard, and I guess if you can make a majority of the people happy then that is all that counts.

Thanks

Originally posted by PopcornMonster
Making a website that everyone likes is hard
Making a website that people will come to is harder. I had that problem, and I gave up. Lack of time and energy to keep my site going.

If you ever wanna start a DVD site, I have an address I'll sell.

Originally posted by spudracer

If you ever wanna start a DVD site, I have an address I'll sell.
Whats the Address?

I am just curious, how much you asking for the name?

Have you tried to sell it before?

Well I got it pretty cheap. I would sell it for $10.

I got a year run with it so I really haven't thought about selling it.

Originally posted by spudracer
Well I got it pretty cheap. I would sell it for $10.

I got a year run with it so I really haven't thought about selling it.

That isn't to bad.

The reason why I asked was because I just opened up a new part of my site where I list the Top100 DVD's for the day and I compare the prices at a bunch of different online web merchants and list them so that the user can see who has the DVD that they want for the cheapest price. I was thinking of maybe spinning this part of my site off so into a new website so that it wouldn't take away the focus of Movie reviews and such on the old site.

Anyway, If I did spin it off into a new site, I was going to need a new Domain name. and I hadn't thought of one yet. I am up for suggestions though. Yours is ok, better then everything I have thought of so far.

If you want to look at the Top100 list thing here is the link. (if I am not suppose to put this link here then you can remove it if you want).

http://www.popcornmonsters.com/Top100DVD/index.php

If the link gets removed you can get to it by going to the link in my Signature and looking in the menu for Top 100 DVD list and Price Comparison.

It is a free service, It isn't perfect yet, but I am making it better everyday..