MovieMeditation presents... "His Top 50 Favorite Horror Films!"

→ in
Tools    

I've only seen the Scream films from that set. I'm a big fan of the first one, I think it's a great, fun film. I had a great experience watching all three of them in close succession for the first time. I like the second and even third one, even though everyone seems to love to hate it, I know it wasn't great but I didn't think it was horrible like some.

I am fed up of, and don't really understand all the love for the fourth one though, I watched it again recently and it confirmed my suspicions. I wish I loved it as much as most who seem to regard it as in the top two of the franchise, but I just can't. The story for me was especially obvious, it tried to be cool with all the technology stuff and used the simple "I had to live in your shadow" storyline, everything just felt new and 'digital' if you like to me, and I didn't like it that much, sorry

Scream series is great save for the third one which is a heaping pile of crap. The first is easily the best, just a masterfully done self-aware slasher. I can't really call any of the other ones "masterfully done," but I do love the fourth one quite a bit - it's my second favorite, probably for nostalgic reasons more than anything, but I do think it's a fun flick. The second is my third favorite, very good flick. The third is not a favorite at all, because it's a giant piece of sh*t, and I can't take Daniel seriously for liking it.

I really like Orphan, too! Good pick.

My dad really likes The Mothman Propechies, and made me watch it when I was maybe 17. It was okay. I guess some people see something in it that I simply don't. Which is perfectly cool.

Not a huge fan of Scream, but some of the movies on these last few sets are great. Good list so far, MM.

Thanks for all the comments guys! I have two more sets coming up, which by the looks of it, will divide people on this forum as some have already done. But after that, We begin to dig into the very good stuff!

To me all of this is good stuff of course, but the closer we get to number one, the closer we get to horrors with worldwide acclaim, obviously...

Seen the first 3 Screams but haven't got around to the 4th. They are very good! Imo Ghostface is just as iconic as Jason, Freddy, and Michael Myers in terms of legendary slasher figures.

Looking forward to your next sets!

I really like Scream, Orphan is a great pick as well. My sister has been badgering me to watch The Mothman Prophecies, put it off due to the bad reception, may just give it the push now.

I really like Scream, Orphan is a great pick as well. My sister has been badgering me to watch The Mothman Prophecies, put it off due to the bad reception, may just give it the push now.
Well, if you liked my review of it and the style that I was describing, then you should definitely go for it. It's not really a horror movie through and through, but I love these kind of mysterious stories, which you aren't totally sure what to make of.

I've only seen the 1st Scream, once at the movies when it was out. I was drunk, my wife was drunk, and it turned into a mini riot.

I really like Orphan and Mothman, the latter my wife picked out for some strange reason.

~His Top 50 Favorite Horror Films~

32. Wrong Turn (2003)
· · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·

This is a film that somehow succeeds in keeping this unpredicted kind of balance, which would otherwise seem almost impossible for any other film, when using the same theme and overall idea… This is also why the sequels that followed were absolutely dreadful and laughably pathetic to sit through; it simply couldn’t find that same kind of balance and style that the first one had. Because despite being a rather ridiculous idea – which would probably even make you laugh if you heard it – you would still be surprised at how frightening and exciting it can actually be. And of course, it is also a whole lot of fun at the same time. Furthermore, it isn’t a bad thing that Stan Winston blessed this film with his amazing work in practical effects, which only makes the film and its atmosphere appear all the more terrifying for it…

I don’t expect I have to tell you the premise of this film, since it is basically given away in the very title. There is a group of very unlucky people, who unfortunately take a wrong turn and end up being stranded in some kind of remote forest with no human life in sight… Well, at least up until the group runs into three grossly disfigured cannibalistic mountain men, who tries to kill them at all cost and take them to dinner, if you know what I mean. But jokes aside, this film is actually surprisingly well-made, very disturbing to witness, and also extremely intense to watch at times – even despite the rather noisy nature of one of the cannibals, which I guess is only fitting. But the thing is though, that these cannibals are never portrayed as being downright hilarious or pathetic characters, and they aren’t really supposed to be either. However, I’m sure there are people who still won’t be able to take the film as serious as it should be. Because in reality the film carries a terrifyingly realistic approach, using a very dark and gloomy atmosphere throughout, which also contains some very nasty set pieces and unnerving practical make-up. Obviously it is still a film to have fun with, but you shouldn’t brush this film away purely for its concept and your first impression of it. Actually, it is a fine little hidden gem in the horror genre.

Why is it on my list?
Deformed cannibalistic rednecks may not sound that terrifying in its written words, but try to imagine being the one who was trapped in a large isolated forest with three inbred individuals, who uses inhuman approaches to catch you and eventually eat you like the brutal animals that they are – wouldn’t you be just a tiny bit afraid too? The tension in this film is quite great, and the set pieces are so amazingly detailed. Overall it is just blast to watch.

31. Quarantine (2008)

My second found footage pick on the list, and probably the one to stir things up to greater extent that the last… I say that because I believe some people will be furious about me not choosing the original version of this film, which to some degree, I can understand. But hear me out now… both the remake and its originator are so unbelievably similar in story, approach and execution, so whichever you may end up watching first will probably be the definitive version for you. I just happened to watch the remake first, and therefore ended up finding the original to play out like a lesser version of the film I already fell in love with. I couldn’t help but notice how I liked certain elements better in the film I already knew about, and the lead character in [REC] didn’t fall in my taste either…

I believe this was one of the very first found footage films that I ever watched, and it was a very different and convincing new format to me. I found the actual story to be rather lackluster and straightforward, as these films usually are, but it is ultimately everything but the actual story that makes this film interesting. The film is like an amusement ride through hell, where you are following this reporter slowly figuring out what is happening around her, only to be trapped inside an apartment building with an infective disease spreading faster than herpes at a college graduation party. What really drives this film through the (fourth) wall and right into your living room is the sheer intensity of it all. It almost has that video game feeling of a first person shooter, which isn’t far from the truth, only in this you have absolutely no control of where it takes you.

Why is it on my list?
The premise of the film starts out as some kind of suspicious element to the story, then it becomes very much real to the characters, but they still aren’t sure what it is. When they finally figure it all out, several people are already infected, and the movie pretty much turns absolutely insane after that. Fear-provoking disease-ridden beings hurdles towards the screen when you are least expecting it, and it is hard not to be “infected” by the high level of terrifyingly good entertainment that it brings forward. And when the last few minutes kicks in, the film also shows how to create the same level of intensity with little to nothing of those elements previously used. I think this film is pretty underrated, though I could understand how fans of the original might leave extremely disappointed that they paid money to see the exact same film.

30. The Woman in Black (2012)

By now it shouldn’t be much of a surprise that I love my fair share of haunting tales and frightening spiritual behavior coming from the opposite world of the living. What I love even more than that is when the story is told in a classic old fashion kind of way, with little to none distracting elements, in terms of either an overflow of grisly violence or annoying side factors, which draws you away from the central core of the film. Not that I don’t like films going in thousands of other directions, which may or may not work, but sometimes you just want to witness a film that doesn’t try to be anything but a classic ghost story – or whatever roots it might grow from and want to acknowledge.

This film is pretty much a straight up gloomy retelling of a classic storyline with similar elements, and at times, cheap spooks as well. But that doesn’t matter, because you can feel that it isn’t aiming for anything other than creating a truly unsettling atmosphere, while using many tricks in the book that you may have seen before, but still… It does them all right. This isn’t a cheap imitator or false imagining of something that once worked, it is something that works because it is exactly the opposite of those elements. Every scare and every dark and disturbing visual delicacy is delivered in exceptional manner, and you are right there on the edge of your seat when something suddenly moves in the background. Talking about backgrounds, the setting and overall production design of the film is top notch, and the cinematography helps separating the shadows from the even darker shadows. It isn’t easy to make an effective film of this subgenre, but this is pretty much a textbook example, though seen better before… probably from those of which it pays homage to.

Why is it on my list?
The shadows are moving around and the spiritual world is at full effect when Harry Potter moves through an old house refusing to use magic to find this damn thing… In all seriousness though, Radcliffe delivers a fine performance and takes a nice departure from his previous image as a child phenomenon of the wizard world. But even for the classic ghost tale of things and some solid acting, there is no doubt that it is the visual and auditory experience, which by the end of it, are the true stars of this picture.

I have to return some videotapes.
Quarantine was creepy as hell, and I have thought about watching "The Woman in Black", might watch it sometime if it was that good.

Rep for Quarantine, haven't seen it in a long time but remember liking it. Haven't seen the original one, Rec, or the other two in your set though.

I do like Wrong Turn well enough... it's not great but I have fun with it, and I saw it when I was a bit younger so there's a charm to it. Still the other two are truly for shame, MovieMeds.

While I really didn't care for The Woman in Black, at least it had some decent atmosphere (I guess...). I think when I went into it I was expecting a really moody and atmospheric horror film, coming from Hammer, and what I got was light on atmosphere and really heavy on lame jump scares.

Still, compared to Quarantine, The Woman in Black is practically a masterpiece. Quarantine is horrendous and the worst movie I've seen on this list so far. One of my least favorite horror films, probably, in all honestly. The original is incredible though. The last fifteen minutes are so godd*mn intense (the whole film is, but especially those last moments), and I don't know how you can dislike the gorgeous Manuela Velasco as the main character.

That's just my opinion. If ya like Quarantine, ya like it.

You better make up for this abysmal set. I tease though.

Scream Franchise is aboslutely great !

didn't see The Mothman Prophecies but I'm interested in it.

The Orphan is very nice !

Wrong Turn is one of my guilty pleasures. Always love that flick.

didn't like Quarantine the first time I see it.

The Woman In Black is very good imo.

Well Swan, with an honest list you expect honest answers. I don't want my list to look like everybody else's, I don't put greats high just because others do. Hell, I might even change my list and throw Quarantine on the #1 spot!

Anyways, there is one more set coming, which will be just as questionable as this one to some of you... But after that, we are digging into the very good stuff!

Anyways, there is one my set coming, which will be just as questionable as this one to some of you... But after that, we are digging into the very good stuff!
I guess I can endure a little more torture if you promise I get some treats at the end.

On a lighter note, favorite kill in Wrong Turn? I always liked the one where he axes the chick through the mouth against the tree, and - if I remember correctly - you see her pupils dilate or something. That was a great touch.

Uh, I don't think I can remember it well enough to point out my favorite death scene. But I might actually rewatch it soon, it's been a long time, and I'm in the mood for it now!

Nice three horror films there...

Wrong Turn films an be fun to watch

Quarantine was ok

I really liked The Woman In Black (and Im the one who mentioned to Derek to watch it!)