Hi. Some of you may remember me. Some of you newer MoFos may not. I haven't posted here for quite a while.

I made it no secret that I'd been having trouble with my mental health. Depression got me down hard. I had also put down the fact that I haven't had the inspiration to write anything here to that. Well, a lot has changed. I've changed jobs. I like to think I've also grown somewhat as a person. I've gotten better. Turns out my "writer's block" hasn't had too much to do with my depression.

Last week, The Last Jedi came out. "Hurray!" I thought. "A perfect time for me to come back to reviewing and discussing movies." Well, after a week of thinking about it I concluded that it is not.

Two years ago, when The Force Awakens was released, I walked out of the cinema happy. The new Star Wars movie was good. It may seem riddiculous to some of you but it was the original Star Wars trilogy that actually got me interested in movies. I was a kid when I first saw it. It made a huge impact on my childhood. I also never grew out of it. It was here to stay in my mind and in the minds of so many of my peers. I saw greatness in the medium of film. One could influence the way people perceive things with a movie. The overall culture of a generation could be shaped with a movie. The only condition is that the movie would have to impact people's lives in some way. It would have to make people think. It would have to direct people's imaginations into places it hasn't been before.

And here comes the problem. I asked myself: "when was the last time a movie had a truly great impact on me?". "When was the last time a movie changed my life?". The answer is; sometime in the previous decade.

But hell, the continuation of the movie series that got me into loving the medium should revive that love, right? The last movie was objectively better than the prequels. It showed real effort of the makers to make it worthy of the Star Wars title. It had the original cast. It looked like the original Star Wars. Many of the props were actually based on drawings from the old trilogy. It still had music by Williams. It didn't overuse CGI and a lot of the creatures were actually puppets. It checked all the boxes.

When I walked out of the cinema after seeing The Last Jedi, I also thought to myself: "The new Star Wars movie is good".

Well, it is good. But the thing is it's not great. The previous movie, no matter how much I wanted to believe that two years ago, wasn't great either. I can already sense your urge to call me another butthurt fan. I'm not, though. It's my opinion that even though the movie itself had its flaws and could have been made a bit better, the people who made it put a huge amount of heart and hope into making it a great Star Wars. It's not the purpose of this post to belittle their work or the appreciation it got from many of its fans.

What I mean to say is that I personally no longer feel the appreciation for movies in general that I used to. I feel that no new movie, no matter how good it is, isn't actually great in the full sense of the word. In my view, most new movies kinda blur together into an inexpressive blandness. This includes those that receive critical and/or public acclaim.

I can't stress enough that this is just my personal view on modern movies. I may be wrong. In fact, I probably am wrong. It may just be another symptom of the "I'm having trouble dealing with adulthood" disease, or something else that's just wrong with me.

Still, the fact remains that I can't, in good conscience, review any more movies for the time being. What am I supposed to say? "This movie is awesome! Go see it now!" when I'm having trouble believing it myself? Or should I go: "This movie is meh..." just because I think that of most new movies?

So, until I am able to say that a movie that recently came out was so profound to my existence that it made an impact on my life, I have to stop. I have to say goodbye. I hope tremendously that that moment won't come too long from now.

Stay awesome, MoFos!