The Island of Misfit Posters

Tools    

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!

This whole thread is hilarious.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Indeed.

Meanwhile, I would have done Lord of the Flies or something along those lines (ask Chris, my own The Unnamed Chocolate Shop would be perfect for such a question), but it wasn't a text we had studied. We studied Tykwer's Lola, Shakespeare's Macbeth and Muriel Spark's The Driver's Seat. We had to do two of them and one of our own choices and it was only natural that I do Pravda when the play is my whole life at the moment.

Just thought I'd clarify that.
But you're right, Flies would have been perfect.

Lord of the Flies... what a book. You could write an entire paper on just the opening sentences: "The boy with the fair hair lowered himself..."

Originally posted by The Silver Bullet
It's okay, Mary. I'm laughing at you not with you...
Sure, go ahead. Laugh it up at the poor little retarded girl who thought the dog food would enable her to talk to Ganja, her grandma's dog. Yeah, go on. It's funny!

Real funny.

Originally posted by Mary Loquacious
Sure, go ahead. Laugh it up at the poor little retarded girl who thought the dog food would enable her to talk to Ganja, her grandma's dog. Yeah, go on. It's funny!

Real funny.
Yes..yes it is..

You know, I didn't even think it strange until I got to be about sixteen, and then I started wondering why in the hell my Grandma Winnie, who we can be reasonably certain has never gotten high in her life, had a dog whose name was a slang term for marijuana.

We did some snooping and found out she got the dog from a young man who worked with her at the hospital. And that young man, shall we say, knew all about slang terms for marijuana.
He also, later in life, became one of my English instructors, and he always had great things to say about Grandma.

But you know, we never had the heart to tell her the truth about Ganja.

"Gran?"

"Yes?"

"We have something to tell you about Ganja..."

"What's that?"

"His name is a slang term for, well, pot."

"And pans? Well, that's relatively funny, no?"

"No, no, not pans exactly. We mean, well, his name is a slang term for African Woodbine. Acapulco Gold. You know what we're saying?"

"He's named after an African tree?!"

"No. Not an African tree, Gran, listen to us. The guy who had Ganja, well, he smoked Ganja."

"He hurt Ganja!?"

"Gran! You're dog is named after Bambalacha, Dawamesk, the Goblet of Jam and the Golden Leaf! Your dog has been named after the Rainy Day Woman, for Christ's sake!!"

"How could he be named after so many peopl..."

"GRAN! LISTEN TO US!! YOU COULD ROLL UP THAT DOG IN A NEWSPAPER, LIGHT HIM, SMOKE HIM AND GET HIGH!! HIS NAME IS GANJA FOR F*CK'S SAKE!!

Oh Gran. Don't cry...."

Yes, that's the way I always imagined it would go. Ending in tears and heartbreak for all involved.

I actually have a song I wrote about it somewhere. Perhaps I'll track it down and upload it. It's to the tune of A Few of My Favorite Things (so easy to put words to that song), and is called A List of Nicknames for Dope. It's pretty funny.

I love words like that.

crazed out movie freak
Look at us people. This guy starts a thread about not being able to fit in. So what do we do we take over the whole thread and he doesn't even get a word in. This guy either needs to speak up or quit complaining. I mean you have to be able to voice a pretty strong opinion with these people or you'll never keep up.

p.s. gotta post more to be "in" the club bro.

Look at us people. This guy starts a thread about not being able to fit in. So what do we do we take over the whole thread and he doesn't even get a word in. This guy either needs to speak up or quit complaining. I mean you have to be able to voice a pretty strong opinion with these people or you'll never keep up.
For one, you're not in any position to start preaching to those who have been here longer. Monkeypunch does post, the place wouldn't be the same without him, but don't start telling others how to conduct themselves.

p.s. gotta post more to be "in" the club bro.
You're not "in" the club yet...bro.

I don't know if there even is an "in" club. Here's my philosophy: as soon as you stop trying to get in the "in" club and just worry about posting quality stuff, you're in.

Now With Moveable Parts
Silver B.~ That little script you gave us was great. It's not surprising you want to be a writer, you're very talented. Me laugh!
Side note: Lay off Raz. Seriously. It's not nice.

Kently-Poo~ Sheeh, you too. I hate that we have the power to make people feel insecure or left out. It's a movie site, for cripes sake, not highschool! Be cool. Granted the guy uses more than one smilie, is that a crime? Okay, yeah...he starts threads about the sexiness of others, but I'm willing to overlook it, now come on! Lighten the f*ck up, you all sound like a coupla prigs. (Mary Lo~ good use of my new word, eh?)

Very nice.

I'm backing Sades on this. Raz is entitled to his opinions, no? Although giving him sh*t about the Smilies... that's just a bit o' teasing that I'm sure Raz doesn't mind.

With that having been said...

I have to say that, although I've contributed to taking this thread way off topic, I think you're fine, Monkey Man. You like good music, and you know of the Wesley Willis. You're gravy in the Mary Lo book.

Aha! I told Kently and Silver to ease up on him. Glad to know I'm not alone. Not that it changes my stance at all.

Prig is an excellent word. Heavily used in The Chronicles of Narnia, I think. I think it started in Britland.

Aha! We can play "Spot Sadie's New Word!"

It's not "prig," but that's a damn good guess...