The Forum Improvement Thread

Tools    

More stuff:

The signature system has been improved. As it stands now, you can add many signatures (there is no real limit) and have them randomly displayed on your posts. Be sure to give your signatures descriptive titles, though, because, as of now, there will be a dropdown menu on the New Thread/Post Reply pages, at the bottom, just about the Submit button. This will allow you to attach a SPECIFIC signature to your post, if you like. That post will then always display that signature. That way you can have specific, appropriate signatures for some posts, and random ones for the others.

Anyway, there are some things to watch: if you go back and delete a bunch of signatures, it'll mess with your specific signature display. So will changing or moving around a bunch of them. If you select your first signature to always display on a post, and you change that at some point, it won't matter...the forum will still display whichever signature is in that SAME slot in numerical order. So you've been warned.

Enjoy the features. I'll be scouring for bugs over the next couple days.

Another improvement: the "Subscribe" link on the top of each thread will now be changed to "Unsubscribe" if you're already subscribed to that thread. Naturally, it will also lead to a page to remove your subscription, instead of add it. Just a little convienence.

They keep coming (I'm especially proud of this one): you know that little paperclip image next to a thread's link when there's an attachment somewhere within? Now you can click on it to display only the posts with attachments within that thread...the thread is otherwise duplicated, with all the same page number links and all that. Cool, eh? I'm gonna see if I can stick a "View Attachments in this Thread" link somewhere ont he thread page itself, too.

Another: now, the Subscribe/Unsubscribe links lead to popups, so you don't have to bother with that annoying redirection page just to subscribe to a thread.

More: now, on the user's profile, at the end of the breadcrumb along the top, you'll see their status (online/offline). Also, as you all know, the Shoutbox has been improved somewhat as of late. I hope you all like it.

Small improvement: now, by clicking on a user's avatar, you can see whether they're online or not, and also, you can see their local time. Useful for fellows like SB, who's local time is radically different from most of ours.

Now With Moveable Parts
WOW! That's frippin cool! Thanks, Chris. Neat-O Mosquit-O!

Now With Moveable Parts
Yeah...I clicked on my own and it said, 5:17AM [friday] and it's 5:17PM on Thurs.

Alright, another little addition: now, just below the link to download an attachment, you'll see a Who Downloaded This? link. Clicking on it will display a popup listing all the users who have downloaded that attachment. Note: the script tracks downloads now...but did not before. Therefore, any downloads before, say, last night, were not tracked...so even if an attachment has been downloaded 100 times, it might only have one or two users listed as having downloaded it. Enjoy.

Now, on the Who's Online? page, instead of a plain text "Editing Post" message, the word "Post" is a link directly to the post being edited. Cool, eh?

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
*shrugs shoulders* I guess...
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by TWTCommish
Alright, another little addition: now, just below the link to download an attachment, you'll see a Who Downloaded This? link. Clicking on it will display a popup listing all the users who have downloaded that attachment. Note: the script tracks downloads now...but did not before. Therefore, any downloads before, say, last night, were not tracked...so even if an attachment has been downloaded 100 times, it might only have one or two users listed as having downloaded it. Enjoy.

ahhhhh, i was wondering. thanks chris.

More stuff: all kinds of changes to the Who's Online? page. Now, if someone is Reading a PM, Sending a PM, or Replying to one, it'll let you know if it's one of yours. IE: "Reading a Private Message From You," or "Replying to Your Private Message."

Of course, no usernames are revealed...it won't publicy display who you're sending the message to, or replying to...unless you ARE that person. Furthermore, now you'll know if someone is sending a new PM, or replying to one they received...but anonymity remains...as it will continue to. Knowing who everyone was PMing on there would kinda defeat the purpose, after all.

Hope everyone's cool with all this. If there are any problems or complaints, lemme know.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Originally posted by TWTCommish
Of course, no usernames are revealed...it won't publicy display who you're sending the message to, or replying to...unless you ARE that person. Furthermore, now you'll know if someone is sending a new PM, or replying to one they received...but anonymity remains...as it will continue to. Knowing who everyone was PMing on there would kinda defeat the purpose, after all.
A confused look just swept over my face reading that. I got the idea though.

Another thingamajig: now you will see a checkbox on each post, and next to it, the word Quote. At the bottom of each thread page, you'll see a bottom opposite the Post Reply button titled Quote Selected. This allows you to quote several posts at once...check the ones you want to quote, hit the Quote Selected button, and voila.

Furthermore, as you may have noticed, the little popcorn items next to your "profile" buttons on each post only appear if you've entered any favorite movies.

More stuff: there's a "Download" link on all threads now. Clicking on it will allow you to view or save a file containing the contents of the thread in plain text form.

Also, just like with replies, PMs now only quote the last message...so no more automatic quotes, within quotes, within quotes.