The Film Noir Years Quiz.

Tools    

I need a new horror book! 😳
What horror book have you been working with so far?
It's more like a writing book that i fill in to do these quizzes, a few days ago it was on my cabinet and it slipped off and fell behind a radiator, i can't reach it, tried using a coat hanger to reach it but it's in such an awkward position!

Many Noirs of the classic period have been remade over the years. Which of these has not gotten a remake (at least not yet)?

Out of the Past
Criss Cross
Angel Face
The Big Clock
They Live By Night
The Blue Dahlia
I will say The Big Clock

anyone mentioned: Dark Passage (1947) great film noir, i saw it on tv once i was still in high school, and i loved every bit of it.

anyone mentioned: Dark Passage (1947) great film noir, i saw it on tv once i was still in high school, and i loved every bit of it.
That's probably my favorite Bogart/Bacall flick, and I'm a big fan!

The answer is The Long Memory.
open floor
Orson you as well BOP do you like Brit film noir? They made some excellent films as well. Usually using a well known American actor in one of the leads.

Again guys, like the Brit horror movie their film noir are also of the strongest quality. John Mills made a series of top shelf noirs. One, along with The Long Memory, I recall is The October Man. There are three perhaps more others of his. Google them. Another well worth a look is Interrupted Journey with Richard Todd. Strongly recommended. Take a look at those. We can discuss on the Favorite Movie thread perhaps.

Actually, I take back my last comment. I do remember a couple of good Japanese noirs. This one involved a kidnapping plus mistaken identity equalling a tough ethical decision. (How's that for a segue?)

I will say The Big Clock

Nope. The source material for John Farrow's The Big Clock (1948) starring Ray Milland, Charles Laughton, and Maureen O'Sullivan, which is based on a Kenneth Fearing novel of the same name, has been used for two subsequent films so far. The best known is Roger Donaldson's No Way Out (1987) starring Kevin Costner, Gene Hackman, and Sean Young. That version had a technological upgrade with computers as well as changing the setting to Washington, D.C. and was given an international espionage spin, but plot mechanics wise it was the same story. Before that it was remade it France closer to the novel by Alain Corneau as Police Python 357 (1976) starring Yves Montand, François Périer, and Simone Signoret.

And for the record, the 1987 No Way Out is in no way a remake or reworking of the racially tinged Joseph L. Mankiewicz directed Noir No Way Out (1950) starring Sidney Poitier and Richard Widmark.

Anybody else wanna have a go and at least eliminate another flick?

Many Noirs of the classic period have been remade over the years. Which of these has not gotten a remake (at least not yet)? There may be more than one correct answer.

Out of the Past
Criss Cross
Angel Face
The Big Clock
They Live By Night
The Blue Dahlia
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Correct on all counts Holden. Not The Big Clock which I enjoyed. They Live By Night?

Not that one, either. Nic Ray's debut feature, They Live by Night (1948) starring Farley Granger and Cathy O'Donnell, is adapted from the novel Thieves Like Us by Edward Anderson. That same novel was adapted again in in the 1970s by Robert Altman, reverting back to its original title Thieves Like Us (1974) starring Keith Carradine and Shelley Duvall. It was not however the source material for the Ben Affleck flick Live by Night (2016) which is adapted from a 2012 Dennis Lehane novel.

Down to four choices...
Many Noirs of the classic period have been remade over the years. Which of these has not gotten a remake (at least not yet)? There may be more than one correct answer.

Out of the Past
Criss Cross
Angel Face
The Big Clock
They Live By Night
The Blue Dahlia