MoFo MC January: Collapse (2009)

Tools    

Personally, I don 't care about his past. No one has a clean cupboard or past. He's no more mentally unstable than I am.
I agree with this only because he's predicted a lot of things already and isn't advocating anything violent or ridiculous, just to be prepared, which everyone should be.

I think you're dead on though Deadite, not only will the natural resources last longer than he thinks but the prices will continue to rise. So most likely I see a collapse that takes so long to occur that by the time the general population even realizes what's going on, most of them will be screwed.
But that's the thing, the general population doesn't want to know. People somehow harness this mindset that cannot see outside the system that's in place as if it couldn't be replaced. I don't think it's going to run out as fast as he said, but I also think it's going to run out way faster than anyone else would anticipate, so kinda like you said it'll sneak up on people and then oh my god we have no oil. "Who saw this coming?!?!"

And I feel like its my duty to sort of state the obvious. He claims that "everything will be on the table". I disagree. The rich will still be running things. They just most likely, won't be doing it where we can get at them. They will always need a labor force so some of them will try to keep chunks of population protected so they'll always have people to do their work for them.
I'm once again in between you two. The rich will still run certain things, like the underground bunkers the government built during the cold war, of which could run for about a year each, but after that and besides that, I feel that "everything will be on the table" is a fair assumption just because people will be forced to act differently, or rather how they really are.

But how many will perish if things get really bad? In America? Millions, I'd wager.
Yep, essentially. Ever since I became aware of all this I've asked people here and there:

"Do you know how to plant a vegetable?"

"No, why would I need to?"

"nvm"

We're going to plant a garden this year.

Ya'll got company:

Subculture of Americans prepares for civilization's collapse
(Reuters) - When Patty Tegeler looks out the window of her home overlooking the Appalachian Mountains in southwestern Virginia, she sees trouble on the horizon.

"In an instant, anything can happen," she told Reuters. "And I firmly believe that you have to be prepared."

Tegeler is among a growing subculture of Americans who refer to themselves informally as "preppers." Some are driven by a fear of imminent societal collapse, others are worried about terrorism, and many have a vague concern that an escalating series of natural disasters is leading to some type of environmental cataclysm.

They are following in the footsteps of hippies in the 1960s who set up communes to separate themselves from what they saw as a materialistic society, and the survivalists in the 1990s who were hoping to escape the dictates of what they perceived as an increasingly secular and oppressive government.

Preppers, though are, worried about no government.

Tegeler, 57, has turned her home in rural Virginia into a "survival center," complete with a large generator, portable heaters, water tanks, and a two-year supply of freeze-dried food that her sister recently gave her as a birthday present. She says that in case of emergency, she could survive indefinitely in her home. And she thinks that emergency could come soon.

"I think this economy is about to fall apart," she said.

A wide range of vendors market products to preppers, mainly online. They sell everything from water tanks to guns to survival skills.

Conservative talk radio host Glenn Beck seems to preach preppers' message when he tells listeners: "It's never too late to prepare for the end of the world as we know it."

"Unfortunately, given the increasing complexity and fragility of our modern technological society, the chances of a societal collapse are increasing year after year," said author James Wesley Rawles, whose Survival Blog is considered the guiding light of the prepper movement.

A former Army intelligence officer, Rawles has written fiction and non-fiction books on end-of-civilization topics, including "How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It," which is also known as the preppers' Bible.

"We could see a cascade of higher interest rates, margin calls, stock market collapses, bank runs, currency revaluations, mass street protests, and riots," he told Reuters. "The worst-case end result would be a Third World War, mass inflation, currency collapses, and long term power grid failures."

A sense of "suffering and being afraid" is usually at the root of this kind of thinking, according to Cathy Gutierrez, an expert on end-times beliefs at Sweet Briar College in Virginia. Such feelings are not unnatural in a time of economic recession and concerns about a growing national debt, she said.

"With our current dependence on things from the electric grid to the Internet, things that people have absolutely no control over, there is a feeling that a collapse scenario can easily emerge, with a belief that the end is coming, and it is all out of the individual's control," she told Reuters.

She compared the major technological developments of the past decade to the Industrial Revolution of the 1830s and 1840s, which led to the growth of the Millerites, the 19th-Century equivalent of the preppers. Followers of charismatic preacher Joseph Miller, many sold everything and gathered in 1844 for what they believed would be the second coming of Jesus Christ.

Many of today's preppers receive inspiration from the Internet, devouring information posted on websites like that run by attorney Michael T. Snider, who writes The Economic Collapse blog out of his home in northern Idaho.

"Modern preppers are much different from the survivalists of the old days," he said. "You could be living next door to a prepper and never even know it. Many suburbanites are turning spare rooms into food pantries and are going for survival training on the weekends."

Like other preppers, Snider is worried about the end of a functioning U.S. economy. He points out that tens of millions of Americans are on food stamps and that many U.S. children are living in poverty.

"Most people have a gut feeling that something has gone terribly wrong, but that doesn't mean that they understand what is happening," he said. "A lot of Americans sense that a massive economic storm is coming and they want to be prepared for it."

So, assuming there is no collapse of society -- which the preppers call "uncivilization" -- what is the future of the preppers?

Gutierrez said that unlike the Millerites -- or followers of radio preacher Harold Camping, who predicted the world would end last year -- preppers are not setting a date for the coming destruction. The Mayan Calendar predicts doom this December.

"The minute you set a date, you are courting disconfirmation," she said.

Tegeler, who recalls being hit by tornadoes and floods in her southwestern Virginia home, said that none of her "survival center" products will go to waste.

"I think it's silly not to be prepared," she said. "After all, anything can happen."

(Reporting by Jim Forsyth in San Antonio; Editing by Corrie MacLaggan and Greg McCune)

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
I'd reccomend Crossing the Rubicon for all those interested in the subject. Ruppert lays out a prima fascia case for the criminal prosecution of Cheney for his role in the crime.

its brilliant. means, motive opportunity up the yin yan. The best part is he only writes about things that are proven, that would hold up in court. So while the theories presented may sound whacky, they all have a strong foundation of evidence.

I watched the documentary Collapse today, and I'm still not sure what to make of this little beast. Michael Ruppert, is the only man of the documentary, which was pretty much just a self driven multi-media interview. Ruppert claims to not be a conspirator, because he uses fact. But it feels like he's so obsessed and paranoid, that he convinces himself of these facts. He talked about the Bush administration and Dick Cheney with such fear, that it's convincing. He states in one point of the film that "he's not messiah", but he sure acted like a prophet at times. Smoking a cigarette while talking about organics and the chemicals in soil, feels a bit contradictory to me. The words flowed out with such confidence and with an egotistic tone, it became hard to believe a word he said.

His ideas did match mine in some areas. When he was talking as a Malthusian, on oil and other natural resources, it was hard connect for me. It was to pessimistic when he would flat out state "it just will never work" on many of the solutions. I agree with the fundamentals, but to say buy seeds, invest in gold, get first aid books, sounds like a mix of Harold Camping and Glenn Beck to me. I did agree with him though on the sham that paper money is. Maybe some of what he says was true, but to think like he does, that every last thing he said was true, then we have a cult. The 100th monkey never came to create one though, and it's for the best.

Even with my displeasure these were fascinating ideas. I always intrigued, and even if you're nowhere a Cassandra, it'll make you think. The Titanic philosophy did touch me on a personal point, mainly because I'd be the one saying "it won't sink". It was always watchable and always strong. No one's gonna meet with the guys ideas on everything, most won't like him, but most will listen. It might've been random rambling, it might've been true studies and statistics. There's a cover up, there always has been, but we're still here. In a hundred years the atrocity of the Clinton, Bush, and Obama years will be released. Just like it was for Ulysses S. Grant and Harding. Corruption is there, oil is a problem, revolts may take place, but is it how Ruppert says it is? No.

I just saw this, and I also read Chris' and and PW's analysis of this movie. For the most part I agree with what both of you said. I too was surprised at how easily he was to ignore the return from nuclear energy. Yes it takes a lot of resources and government regulation but the return is immense. I wasn't too satisfied with how easily he glossed over it. He also didn't really go into solar and wind, which he claims are the only sustainable energy sources. But how? Whats wrong with the current systems in place? What needs to change?

I think overall he's a smart guy, and probably has an idea or two that he really believes in and is discouraged by being thrown aside all the time when he really believes something is going to happen.

I find that most of what he says doesn't have to do with whether or not something is true. Most of what he said WAS true, he just seems to draw different conclusions than I would. So many times he would say "this is a law of the universe" and I'm like well it doesn't have to be...there is no problem of man that is relatable to laws of the universe. There was one thing however that touched me on a personal level and that was the population curve. I think about this all of the time. The planet earth has never had to sustain so many people in so little time. Something has got to give.

Finally, I too saw the duality in the title of this doc. "Collapse" of a man who was betrayed by his fiance, kicked out of the LAPD, ridiculed and mocked for his "batshit insane" ideas as well as the potential collapse of our civilization. Overall a good documentary but definitely definitely meant to be a look at the mind of one individual as opposed to a documentary about how the world as we know it will change.