Help with "The Witch"

Tools    

I haven't seen The Witch yet and it's hard to rely on movie critics nowadays so i rather hear it from users. So my question is how is the movie in total? I know i heard it's a bit slow but i don't mind slow movies as long as it's good and the vibe is tense and disturbing. So how is the movie keeping that in mind?

Also as a side question, does the movie have any similarity to Rob Zombie's The Lords Of Salem? (I mean it more as in the satanic disturbing feel of it?)

It's my favorite movie of last year, based on what I've seen. It's really f*cking amazing, well-made, tense. I've noticed it's a bit polarizing though, so you'll just have to watch it for yourself.

I don't think it's much like The Lords of Salem, aside from both being movies the Satanic church probably loves.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
The Witch is a different movie than what it might have been promoted as. To be clear, I loved it. With that said it is slow and is nothing like The Lords of Salem.

The Witch is very subtle, with long beautiful shots, and I guess the term artsy might not be a stretch to describe it. There are no real "action" scenes or standard horror scares as you might assume given the topic, so if that's what you're looking for then you may be disappointed. I might compare the pacing to that of The Arrival if you've seen that.

Honestly, I don't think I would label this horror, but there is this building tension throughout the film as you watch this family try to ...interpret (?) what is happening to them.

I enjoyed it. I think you will know in 10 or 15 if you're going to be able to get into it or not. I think it's currently on Amazon Prime. If you ever do watch it, then I'd love for you to post if you like it or not.

MC for the Great Underground Circus
As ynwtf said.

I wouldn't label it as a horror movie either. It feels more like a thriller based on folklore.

Has beautiful scenes and some interesting artistic imagery. The acting is also quite good.

I would describe it as part Shining part Revenant part Von Trier's Antichrist.

Movie is incredible. The language in it is a little tough though, they used writings from the 1500s to help craft its script. If English isn't your first language it might be a tough go; otherwise, you'll love it.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Neat. I was thinking of both The Shining and The Revenant when trying to find other movies with that ..vibe. Unique movie really. I'd love to find more like it.

The Witch is 100% horror.
I fail to find it a Horror movie. It has some horror elements to it, but it doesn't use the horror tropes as either reinforcement or basis,

Those horror elements seem to be there just to remind the viewer what the situation is rather than to scare the viewer [I didn't get scared in the slightest]

Neat. I was thinking of both The Shining and The Revenant when trying to find other movies with that ..vibe. Unique movie really. I'd love to find more like it.
you'll find some Shining references [the music and the general mood] and some Revenant scenery quality.

There's also some "Antichrist" in it, specially for the drama and the imagery in the end.

IMHO it was the best movie out of 2016 [was a bit disappointed by Arrival]

Movie is incredible. The language in it is a little tough though, they used writings from the 1500s to help craft its script. If English isn't your first language it might be a tough go; otherwise, you'll love it.
it made it even better. Those actors must have had some tough time using the language so well.

Of course it's horror. Just look at the themes in it. It's a very, very good movie, with a brilliant ending.
Superstition, religious fanaticism, pride, duty, family values, home missing, sexual discovery, love...

those are hardly horror themes.

Superstition, religious fanaticism, pride, duty, family values, home missing, sexual discovery, love...

those are hardly horror themes.
WARNING: "spoilerwitch" spoilers below
A black goat posessed by satan is though

WARNING: "spoilerwitch" spoilers below
A black goat posessed by satan is though
That's why I said it has Horror elements. Still, it doesn't work as the typical horror movie.

That's why I said it has Horror elements. Still, it doesn't work as the typical horror movie.
I think that's why I liked it so much.

WARNING: "spolierwitch" spoilers below
It's certainly different but the main theme is the prescence of the devil, and the resolution is that the main protagonist chooses to side with the occult. If that's not horror then I don't know what it is.

I think that's why I liked it so much.

It's certainly different but the main theme is the prescence of the devil, and the resolution is that the main protagonist chooses to side with the occult. If that's not horror then I don't know what it is.
I know. The same reason I prefer it to the more conventional style.

Even her choice doesn't come off as "horrible". She had no choice. It was probably death by starvation or to go back to the settlement and be trialed as a witch [also death]. The only 2 full blown horror elements I find in the whole movie is the mother and the crow scene and the witch with the boy. The rest acts like a thriller [did she do it or didn't she? Is there really a Witch or not?]

I know. The same reason I prefer it to the more conventional style.

Even her choice doesn't come off as "horrible". She had no choice. It was probably death by starvation or to go back to the settlement and be trialed as a witch [also death]. The only 2 full blown horror elements I find in the whole movie is the mother and the crow scene and the witch with the boy. The rest acts like a thriller [did she do it or didn't she? Is there really a Witch or not?]
It's creepy. It's disturbing. It's got witches and the devil in it. The Director calls it a horror film. That's good enough for me. I really enjoyed it.

I'm not a fan of jump scares but there's a fantastic one in this movie.