Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

This might just do nobody any good.
I’m still waiting on his and Refn’s Aleister Crowley biopic.

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
That one probably hit a snag with the Jimmy Page financing.

Woman of the Dunes, Hiroshi Teshigahara, 1964

One of those highly regarded films I put off watching for far too long thinking wrongly it would be a chore. Actually its a very direct(if warped) thriller that feels like it could have been released many years latter, certainly I think you can see where the likes of Lynch mined it for atmosphere. Its up their with Aguirre wrath of god for me in showing an environment itself as a threatening antagonist, not to mention being incredibly good looking generally.

10/10

Caché 2005
★★★★★ Watched 15 Oct, 2018

An exploration of the power in having control over a narrative whether it be through the editing process, shaping news coverage, or how we repress then justify our sins to ourselves and each other. Cache is a masterful allegory for the imperial monopolization of victimhood in which overwhelming forces grow indignant at the idea of sharing blame or developing a conscience. Our protagonist's fragile construction of reality crumbles as soon as he is challenged for the right to tell the story. A masterwork among Haneke's masterworks.

Pieces 1982
★★★ Watched 14 Oct, 2018

Local college campus hosts diverse student body.

Kids Return 1996
★★★★ Watched 14 Oct, 2018

More than a boxing movie, Kids Return is about the lives of millennials who move helplessly up and down the totem poles which they're set upon by the guiding forces in their lives. Coaches, teachers, parents, and peers determine the outcome of their disciples' lives seemingly upon whims. It's all written in stone, fixed and unalterable. Mercifully, Kitano finds humor in the human condition as if its the only way to cope with it. A quiet, contemplative coming of age flick really only dated by its score.

Creed 2015
★★ Watched 14 Oct, 2018

Rocky was about a working class guy whose blood, sweat, and perseverance made up for his lack of resources. Creed is about a prince who was predestined to be great. So is Black Panther. Coogler's idea of progressive politics are nepotist hierarchies of a different shade.

Coogler often lends his characters legitimizing circumstances like "being self-taught" or winning a battle of skill to claim the throne as superficial obstacles given his erasure of systemic ones. This is neoliberal pablum that leads to people like Kanye West calling slavery a mindset. Glorifying birthrights isn't radical in any hue. A millionaire with the luxury to retire from the financial sector in his 20s and solely pursue boxing under the guidance of a HOF caliber fighter on the strength of his name isn't an underdog.

Outside of ideology, on an entertainment level, I think Creed is an organic way to revive a franchise that most thought was run into the ground. The fight scenes I'd heard so much about were honestly a downgrade in conveying the pace and narrative of an actual boxing match but were quite impressive on a technical level in regards to both camera work and choreography. Still, Coogler's commitment to replacing what he perceives as fatalist circumstances like poverty with what he perceives as aspirational ones like that of royalty undercuts the drama of the story. It doesn't stop him from pretending Adonis is a man of the people in a dirtbike montage, but it does sabotage any chance of evoking the elation we experienced the first time Rocky climbed the steps.

Has anyone else seen Tom Hardy’s FX show Taboo? If so, am I the only one who thinks that that should have been the Wolf-Man reboot?
I think Taboo was more complex than just being a Wolfman reboot. That's how I like Tom Hardy.. barely speaking.

Victorian horror feel.
It has a gothic horror feel to it.

I think I will watch some Gothic horror films this week..

Shes Out of My League (2010)

First time I've watched this movie in years, but it still holds up pretty well. The formula isn't anything new, nice guy gets the girl. The jokes land pretty well with me though, though I think I might be inflating the rating a bit just because it's the first movie I remember seeing TJ Miller in. I'm kinda glad to not see Jay Baruchel in too many movies anymore, because he is just too awkward to be likable haha

“I was cured, all right!”

★★★★★
I've seen things like this happen in front of me so many times. I have an incredible identification with this movie. Almost happened to me too. I just had more luck than some of my colleagues who got into marginal life.

★★★★
One of the best of the year so far, Evans knows how to create tension and, more importantly, how to film that tension! The film will disappoint a lot of people, especially the "judicious" who like to criticize a movie for its 'narrative originality'. Apostle has nothing new in terms of narrative, but it brings a lot of energy to a ridiculous cinema, which is the American / British. All answers come in the form of guts and blood. Well filmed and well edited.

Unregistered User

★★★★★
I've seen things like this happen in front of me so many times. I have an incredible identification with this movie. Almost happened to me too. I just had more luck than some of my colleagues who got into marginal life.

★★★★
One of the best of the year so far, Evans knows how to create tension and, more importantly, how to film that tension! The film will disappoint a lot of people, especially the "judicious" who like to criticize a movie for its 'narrative originality'. Apostle has nothing new in terms of narrative, but it brings a lot of energy to a ridiculous cinema, which is the American / British. All answers come in the form of guts and blood. Well filmed and well edited.

The top film isn't showing for me UV, what is it?

Welcome to the human race...
Don’t know how I’d rank the Tarantino-lites of the world but I guess this one would be close to the top. Maybe. I was really just trying to make a joke so it’s a bit unfair on my part for lumping it alongside something like Smokin’ Aces. El Royale certainly has more going on for it in the way of actual craftsmanship but the script is just weak, it lacks cohesion and flow and the characters are not particularly interesting. Only (2018 breakout star (yeah, I know she’s been big on-stage for a while now)) Cynthia Erivo does anything worthwhile with what she’s given.

It’s not what I’d call a bad movie but It’s just... kind of there for me. Not as clever as it thinks it is and has nowhere near as enough gas in the tank for the 2 1/2 hour runtime. It obviously lacks any of the musings that made H8 worthwhile for me.
Yeah, the more I think about it the more it seems like Hateful Eight with the edges (and bloat) sanded down, which people will either see as an improvement or a dilution (and it probably doesn't say too much that I think about Bad Times less on its own terms than as an unintentional companion piece to Tarantino's movie, though I think the parallels/inversions are somewhat interesting). At least it's not trying to be "cool" in any way, which I think is what undermines a lot of the knock-offs..

Last movie watched...

The Image Book -

funny how there are people who want to slap Clint Eastwood on the back for getting "experimental" at the age of 88 with The 15:17 to Paris when Godard is pulling something like this at the same age

I’d seen bits of this before, but not, I think, the entire movie. I loved it. Faye Dunaway amazing.

Jennifer Lawrence really good in this. Don’t pretend to understand the movie, but not bad.

I wouldn't have guessed that you'd like horror movies.. How scary is it? Doc doesn't like horror movies, especially "jump scares".. Jaws was about my limit, and I still don't swim out into the ocean.

~Doc
I do. Not really scary, but I adore movies where sharks attack people

Submergence (2017)