Reality Shows, Too much or not Enough?

Tools    

Originally Posted by bluebottle
I'll only ever watch reality tv, if they start handing out guns and knives to the contestants.
I remember a while ago somebody proposed this and got it quite far in Britain until the Brittish government stopped it.

Kaiser "The Devil" Soze
Originally Posted by jrs
Who here is a watcher of The Apprentice ? I love that show. I can't wait to see on each episode, who Donald Trump proclaims "YOU"RE FIRED!!!"
Dude I watch this show.........who are you pulling for?

Kaiser "The Devil" Soze
Originally Posted by Piddzilla

Am I totally unhip? Is this show ironic only I'm not getting it? Does anyone here know people like this? God, I am so annoyed... I used to loathe shows like Ricki Lake and that stuff for putting poor people on national tv for everyone else to laugh at (well, just one of the reasons to why I loathe those shows), but this must be some absurd kind of way to balance it up a little.
I think global population probably agrees with you, which is why it is "good TV", the shock value. They should make a follow up show in the future when she loses all her daddy's money and lives on the streets for real.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by kaisersoze
I think global population probably agrees with you, which is why it is "good TV", the shock value. They should make a follow up show in the future when she loses all her daddy's money and lives on the streets for real.
I hope I don't offend anyone here, but judging by her clothes (remember, only seen one episode) she's allready walking the streets.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

There is one reality show that I liked while it was on, though I can't remember the name of it. The premise was that a few families had to give up their current lifestyles and revert to life on the American open range circa the mid-1800's. They started at the advent of spring and had to work their asses of for 6-8 months gearing up for winter in Northern Minnesota. The winners were decided by who could survive a wind, snow, and ice blasted winter. None of them could survive according to the experts, so the family that came closest won. I don’t remember the prize. One of the perks they all were allowed was that each family could bring one item from modern civilization. This successful business owner hired a company to make him a still, then he proceeded to sell his moonshine to the other families, the harder life became, the more they bought. They were all making a living by chopping wood, baking, and supplying eggs and vegetables. There wasn’t a whole lot of high drama going on like you see in shows like Survivor and Big Brother, I mean, it had some, but it wasn’t provoked for ratings like these other shows do. It was really entertaining, heartbreaking (like the family rooster being butchered because of hunger, much to the dismay of the young boy who had made it a pet), and very enlightening. I guess the biggest difference between this show and the others, is that this was made by public television, not a major network. That made the integrity of the show much higher.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Originally Posted by kaisersoze
Dude I watch this show.........who are you pulling for?
With Protege losing and heidi gone (thank God), I am pulling Versacorp.... and hopeflly Troy is the winner. He , in my opinion, is the deserving winner. What about you?

Originally Posted by higgy
Most reality t.v. is terrible, music reality t.v. shows, but there are some good ones like there's something about mary (don't know i anyone else gets this but it is hilarious, it is about a stunning transexual who 6 guys have to try and pull, but they don't know she is a transexual).

I would like to see that..lol Never heard of it though.

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
Am I totally unhip? Is this show ironic only I'm not getting it? Does anyone here know people like this? God, I am so annoyed... I used to loathe shows like Ricki Lake and that stuff for putting poor people on national tv for everyone else to laugh at (well, just one of the reasons to why I loathe those shows), but this must be some absurd kind of way to balance it up a little.
Babe, On the talk show issue: THEYdon't put these people on their shows, It's the PEOPLE themselves who call these shows (for the money, the free trip, hotel, limo and the site seeing). That is why I find it so amusing. Why would anyone get on a talk show in front of the whole nation and say, "I don't know who my baby daddy is" or "My 70 year old mother slept with my boyfriend and now he is with my dad"?

As far as MTV's reality shows, I like them because they are competative (and the drama doesn't hurt either) That's television now. Almost everyting you watch now is "reality". I agree it is so commercial but what are you going to do? You know when there are constant commercials about , diarrhea, tampons, and condoms, it is definately a sign of the times ...lol

Could you tell me which US TV show features a 23 year old woman who believes she is taking part in a reality tv show in which her and her fellow contestant must convince their families that they have become engaged?
Originally Posted by piddzillas_girl
Babe, On the talk show issue: THEYdon't put these people on their shows, It's the PEOPLE themselves who call these shows (for the money, the free trip, hotel, limo and the site seeing). That is why I find it so amusing. Why would anyone get on a talk show in front of the whole nation and say, "I don't know who my baby daddy is" or "My 70 year old mother slept with my boyfriend and now he is with my dad"?

As far as MTV's reality shows, I like them because they are competative (and the drama doesn't hurt either) That's television now. Almost everyting you watch now is "reality". I agree it is so commercial but what are you going to do? You know when there are constant commercials about , diarrhea, tampons, and condoms, it is definately a sign of the times ...lol

As far as MTV's reality shows....that's television now.
I remember when MTV was actually....well, normal. I WAS MusicTeleVision.
Now? It's a waste. It does air music videos in various time slots but please.
Except for only a couple (literally) of so-called reality hows put on the air...television has been bombarded with with crap almost nightly.

Babe, On the talk show issue: THEYdon't put these people on their shows, It's the PEOPLE themselves who call these shows (for the money, the free trip, hotel, limo and the site seeing).
Exactly. Why would a rich person do this for stuff he/she allready has? I am very well aware of that they are not forced under gunthreat to be on the show.

That is why I find it so amusing. Why would anyone get on a talk show in front of the whole nation and say, "I don't know who my baby daddy is" or "My 70 year old mother slept with my boyfriend and now he is with my dad"?
Yeah, why would anyone do that unless that guy didn't need the money desperately?

On the reality shows the "contenders" are mostly never paid (except for perhaps the winner). That makes it a completely different issue because money isn't what's driving them to be ******** on tv.

Yeah, I agree. The reality shows, not only on MTV, are better than the Ricki crap because of mostly what I wrote above and, as you say, they are more like a competition than a freak show (even if the freaks seem to come by the dozen). And that it is commercial doesn't bother me. But I don't think people should be treated like starved monkeys in a cage that's been promised a banana if they throw some **** at each other.

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
My most hated reality TV is the local news.
Yeah, I've heard that the american news are kind of... hmmm... Cait? Care to help me out here? Caitlyn the news!

They like to scare people into mass consumption...and it works.

It makes me sick. Why is a little girls death national news? It doesn't effect the price of grass, or my health care. But it makes my neighboor more afraid to let his kids play in the front yard and to also purchase a burglar alarm.

Kaiser "The Devil" Soze
Originally Posted by jrs
With Protege losing and heidi gone (thank God), I am pulling Versacorp.... and hopeflly Troy is the winner. He , in my opinion, is the deserving winner. What about you?
Kwame should win in my opinion, I don't have an adquate reason though... I just like the guy.

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
They like to scare people into mass consumption...and it works.

It makes me sick. Why is a little girls death national news? It doesn't effect the price of grass, or my health care. But it makes my neighboor more afraid to let his kids play in the front yard and to also purchase a burglar alarm.
Word. I couldn't agree more. You should read Pierre Bourdieu's book On Television. He was a french sociologist/philosopher that passed away a couple of years ago and who said a lot of worth considering about television and media. He was also an intellectual marxist elitist ******* who seemed to think that he had to save the stupid working class from shallow pop culture and turn them onto opera instead. But if you are able to see past this, you will realize a lot of things about tv that you have never thought of before.

Do you know my poetry?
Originally Posted by jrs
Who here is a watcher of The Apprentice ? I love that show. I can't wait to see on each episode, who Donald Trump proclaims "YOU"RE FIRED!!!"
I hate Donald Trump and I hate that show.

I do confess........

At times............I have watched........

The Anna Nicole Smith Show............because it makes me all the time and I just can't believe she is for real.........

and

The Osbornes.......because again........what planet is he from? He makes me all the time........

It's a crazy world we live in.......

"I'm your hell, I'm your dream.......I'm nothing in between.......You know you wouldn't want it any other way".........

"Listen, when I slap you, you'll take it and like it"..........Humphrey Bogart..........Maltese Falcon.......

Graze on my lips and if those hills be dry, stray lower, where the pleasant fountains lie...........William Shakespeare.......

MovieForums Extra
The only "Reality Show" I watch is "The Apprentice". I'm pulling for Amy.
She seems to have it together. I am so glad Heidi and Omarosa are gone. They were like fingernails on a chalkboard........... I started watching this show 'cause it was on after "Will & Grace" and I was too lazy to change the channel. I'm sure that's what the producers were hoping for.

Originally Posted by Nikki
The Osbornes.......because again........what planet is he from? He makes me all the time........
The Osbornes is quality.