Play it Again, Sam - a thread for theatrical re-releases

Tools    

I did not see a thread dedicated to theatrical re-releases - by which, I mean of course, those that actually send movies back to theaters for at least a week-long engagement.

I'm not talking merely about those Fathom Event things where they only show a movie for a day or two at most. And usually with a terrible picture quality, because it's being sent to theaters via satellite instead of having a proper DCP at the theater.

Anyway, this year in particular seems to be full of theatrical re-releases, partly in due to the fact that many movies planned for release this year had to be postponed due to last year's strikes.

This month, alone, we have re-releases of Les Miserables (which is going to be shown in Dolby Cinema), the original 2021 Dune (in IMAX) and Nolan's TENET, which - in some locations at least - is going to be shown in 70mm IMAX format.

Further down the road, Lucasfilm has promised a 25th anniversary of Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace, which will be returning to movie theaters in May (just in time for May the 4th). No word so far on whether it will be shown in premium formats like IMAX or Dolby, or if the re-release will also include the 3D version, last shown theatrically in 2012.

It is also very possible more re-releases will be announced in the coming months, as studios begin trying to pad the schedule during the slow periods of the year (usually late summer and early Fall).

I left out one very important theatrical re-release earlier, or at least an important one for Coppola fans:

A new, restored and re-edited version of Coppola's One From the Heart is now out in (some) theaters, although from the looks of it, it definitely won't be playing on very many theaters.

Thanks for sharing this

This is the official poster for the TPM 25th anniversary re-release, coming to you galaxy on May 3rd.

Does anyone remember how crazy the opening was 25 years ago? People were literally camping out next to movie theaters to be the first in line.

Just a reminder, for anyone who may be interested, that Les Miserables (2012) and Tenet are both now in general re-release, with the first one playing in Dolby Cinema theaters and the second one being shown in 70mm IMAX in selected locations.

I've already been to both and the presentation for both (if not the movies themselves) were magnificent.

Caught Les Miserables 2024 remaster the other week. Sounded pretty awesome.

The cinema I frequent has been doing a sci-fi re-releases throughout this month. Have also caught 2001, Interstellar, Blade Runner (Final Cut) and The Martian.

Blade Runner 2049 and Dune 1 are currently getting screenings also this week, ahead of Dune 2's releas.

AMC is going to be showing The Matrix in Dolby Cinema on the 20th to mark the 25th anniversary of the movie. Looks to be one showing only.

Folks in Southern California may be interested in this exhibit at El Capitan

Lola still running....

Peter Jackson’s Lord of the Rings trilogy is coming back again — but they’re a bit different this time.

Warner Bros. and Fathom Events are teaming to rerelease the Oscar-winning fantasy blockbusters this summer.

The versions screened will be Jackson’s extended editions (so you might want get the jumbo tub of popcorn), and also the versions that the filmmaker remastered in 2020 for a 4K Ultra HD rerelease. This is the first time the remastered versions will be in theaters.

The films will screen across three days at Fathom Events participating chains, like AMC, Cinemark and Regal.

The screenings will start with 2001’s The Fellowship Of The Ring on June 8, then 2002’s The Two Towers on June 9, followed by 2003’s The Return Of The King on June 10.