Media Bias

Tools    

One of the big news stories out there these days is the CBS shakeup in the wake of an independent panel investigation into the story on Bush's National Guard service. There seems to be a pretty significant controversy out there having to do with media credibility and bias. In the not-too-distant past, the Jayson Blair scandal rocked the New York Times, in which a reporter was discovered to have been fabricating news stories. This resulted in the resignations of Blair and other high-level editors from the paper.

So what's your opinion on media credibility? Is there a real problem in the media with regard to credibility? Is it a systemic problem? Does the media need to reassess its standards vis-a-vis accuracy? Or is this simply a phase or a case of a few bad apples?

I personally have a problem with the credibility of the Fox Network. They are so blatantly biased in their news coverage and, often, overtly partisan, while claiming, all along, to be "fair and balanced", that I find it laughable at times, if it wasn't so serious! In my mind, they come across as being almost propagandistic in their approach to news coverage.

And yet, the argument made by many ultra-conservative news sources, to justify their often blatant partisan one-sidedness, is a so-called liberal bias in the mainstream media. Is such an assessment justified, or is it merely paranoid hogwash?

So, what's your opinion? Is the news media pandering to politicians? Is the news reliable? Is it valid? Is it true? Can you trust the news anymore, or has the media degenerated to the level of partisan propaganda (some more obviously than others, I'd say).

What I find really interesting is the recent cancellation of CNN's "debate" show "Crossfire", not long after comedian Jon Stewart made an appearance on the show and basically told it like it is. He called it partisan hackery and theater (though he did it in a riotously funny way). And now, the show has been cancelled. And that is scary, considering that Jon Stewart is a witty satirist from Comedy Central, for crying out loud... and if something he says results in the cancellation of a news show on CNN... then maybe Jon Stewart should be on CNN while Paul Begalla and Tucker Carlson should be on Comedy Central!

Anyway... what are your thoughts?

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Of course there is bias, questioning it is almost redundant at this point. In corporate America, money speaks louder than the heart.

Yes the media should reasses itself, but it won't. Not until the American Public demands, in mass, that they do as such; which they won't ever do because too many people are blind to it or simply don't care one way or the other.

Just get your news from bloggers, it's probably more reliable these days.

history *is* moralizing
medias are 100% OBJECTIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(signed: Berlusconi)

Originally Posted by darkhorse
I personally have a problem with the credibility of the Fox Network. They are so blatantly biased in their news coverage and, often, overtly partisan, while claiming, all along, to be "fair and balanced", that I find it laughable at times, if it wasn't so serious! In my mind, they come across as being almost propagandistic in their approach to news coverage.
I'm curious to see what examples you cite as being biased. I know a national radio talk show host has a standing challenge for someone to cite specific evidence of bias on the NEWS portions of Fox (not the opinion pieces/shows).

My Top 100 favorite movies.

Originally Posted by Mose
I'm curious to see what examples you cite as being biased. I know a national radio talk show host has a standing challenge for someone to cite specific evidence of bias on the NEWS portions of Fox (not the opinion pieces/shows).
One example that comes immediately to mind is Fox News' abuse of their so-called "Fox News Alert". According to insiders at Fox News, their news alert was originally created to report emergency news situations. But it seems that it is often used to report tabloid news updates like, for example, celebrity break-ups and nonsense like that. I don't know what you call that, but I call it biased reporting--more than that, an abuse of the news system.

Nevertheless, if you consider the big picture, it appears that this kind of shabby, shallow, sensationalistic journalism in the Fox News Network is pretty characteristic of their journalistic style, considering that Rupert Murdoch, the news baron behind Fox, is, ultimately, a tabloid czar with such trashy publications as "The Sun" under his belt. In my opinion, shabby, trashy, sensationalistic journalism is, in all probability, his trademark.

Originally Posted by OG-
Just get your news from bloggers, it's probably more reliable these days.
Lol! Too true!