Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice

Tools    

^^^ A review driven by need, so driven to make an account here. I repped it though I didnt read it (avoiding spoilers), Welcome to the forum! Btw, separate your block post into paragraphs, and all will read it.

Welp, a bunch of people I know came back from BvS talkin' it up like no tomorrow and one of them admitted to hating Dark Knight Rises, so it looks like Ima hafta see this for myself.

So consecutive posts say "you won't like it unless you're a true fan of DC" and "this is for the uninitiated masses, not true fans", and both of you back up those points well. Now I'm confused. Will I enjoy this as someone who has never touched a comic book but enjoyed the Nolan Batman movies?

So consecutive posts say "you won't like it unless you're a true fan of DC" and "this is for the uninitiated masses, not true fans", and both of you back up those points well. Now I'm confused. Will I enjoy this as someone who has never touched a comic book but enjoyed the Nolan Batman movies?
Yeah, I'm seeing the same contradictions.

Yeah, I'm seeing the same contradictions.
Remarkably, and this is quite surprising for a mega-budgeted Hollywood production, the film is actually more suited to the highly initiated DC fan rather than the mass audience. It's highly likely that this was the unintended consequence of WB & Snyder's poor structuring of the movie, or maybe it was overconfidence in the audiences' true knowledge of the actual DC mythology. Having witnessed the massive success of the MCU, WB thought that general audiences are willing to put some research before going to the theater (or that they are already well-versed into comic book lore)

Even famous youtube critics missed some key points in the movie and thought it incoherent, even though the cues were there.

The reason why I could understand what was going on in this movie from start to finish was thanks to Grace Randolph's shot-to-shot analysis of the trailers. Someone who is not well into the comic-books, or did not somehow possess the necessary information would miss several important elements in this movie.

For example, I am sure that at least 95% of the audience did not understand the Darkseid tease, or the Apokalypse tech in Cyborg's "intro".

Edit: BvS is heading for an estimated $170m OW. And this is with what essentially are catastrophic reviews (critics have been extremely harsh on this one) Had the reviews been OK we would be looking at over $200m. If they were great, this OW would approached Star Wars VII. I have zero doubts over that.

What I find weird is that the one complaining it's not for 'true fans of DC' also says they should sell Batman and Superman to Marvel.

I posted in The Rodents review thread wanting his take on this flick. If he doesnt like it thatll be enough for me. At least I know hes not trying to suck studio ass like so many of these critics today.

I posted in The Rodents review thread wanting his take on this flick. If he doesnt like it thatll be enough for me. At least I know hes not trying to suck studio ass like so many of these critics today.

Welcome to the human race...
I'm pretty sure he is a troll. There's some interview online where people are asking him about this stuff and, from what I remember, he was cracking up in a way that made it seem really obvious they were on to him.

He might manage to be a contrarian in interesting ways, anyway (I've played games where you have to argue for some random position you don't even hold, and it can be interesting seeing how people manage it). But I'm pretty convinced this is an act, or intellectual exercise if you want to be really generous.
Perhaps. For all we know, he's one of those or a combination of all three or maybe he really does sincerely think that way about movies. At the very least, his approach to films is different enough to that of your typical professional reviewer that

rofl

"Zack Snyder went against the mob and dared to raise the genre to a level of adult sophistication in 2013’s Man of Steel, the most emotionally powerful superhero movie ever made."

Armond White's reviews always read like they were written by the architect from Matrix Reloaded.

That's part of the fun of reading his stuff, even if there are moments where you're reading a paragraph full of five-dollar words and find yourself wondering if he's actually making a point or not with his extreme verbosity.

Off to see Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

I find it strange that some people are dissuaded of watching it due to the bad reviews. I mean, come on! It's effin Batman versus effin Superman!!!
I guess the prevailing conception is that if the film can't even execute such a simple and potentially awesome premise without majorly screwing it up then it's probably worth skipping or at least waiting until a later date to actually watch.

The Rodent is quite possibly the most populist reviewer on this website. Virtually every film he reviews is some sort of blockbuster, he gives out 4.5s and 5s more often than anyone else, both Planet of the Apes prequels are in his top 10, and (if the review database is any indication) then he's also the only person on this website to give Man of Steel a
. That being said, even he might turn out to hate this film, so I'm also anticipating what he thinks about it.

The Rodent is quite possibly the most populist reviewer on this website. Virtually every film he reviews is some sort of blockbuster, he gives out 4.5s and 5s more often than anyone else, both Planet of the Apes prequels are in his top 10, and (if the review database is any indication) then he's also the only person on this website to give Man of Steel a
. That being said, even he might turn out to hate this film, so I'm also anticipating what he thinks about it.
Hunh?! Ok then This explains Omniz post. No I didnt know that, but still am interested on his take too.

Whenever I do see it Ill probably be mildly entertained like MOS, another movie I walked into with a chip on my shoulder. Its always better thinking itll stink beforehand compared to thinking itll be great.

My unpopular thoughts

BVS Review
I agree with you in the sense that the movie has been treated unfairly by critics. Noway BVS deserves a score of just 30% on RT. It should have been at least 60%.

Eisenberg's Luthor is also getting too much flack I think as well. Maybe Cranston would have been the better choice, but Eisenberg goes for it and it largely works (outside of a couple of scenes) His Tower speech and his blackmailing of Superman was quite awesome in fact.

The movie is far from perfect and the main problem for me is the bad editing and ponderous nature of the film itself, not the allegedly thin characters or perceived lack of motivation. The film lacks spring in its metaphorical step, otherwise it's pretty spectacular!

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Edit: BvS is heading for an estimated $170m OW. And this is with what essentially are catastrophic reviews (critics have been extremely harsh on this one) Had the reviews been OK we would be looking at over $200m. If they were great, this OW would approached Star Wars VII. I have zero doubts over that.
I'm not sure that reviews will really have had much effect on its box office to be honest. N

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I'm not sure that reviews will really have had much effect on its box office to be honest. No matter what the reviews said I think it would always have made about this amount of money. Just the fact that Batman and Superman are in a film together means that even if it were the worst film of all time it would still make huge amount of cash. It's pretty much critic proof. Same as the Transformers films; they get trashed every time a new one comes out but they still gross insane money

^^^ A review driven by need, so driven to make an account here. I repped it though I didnt read it (avoiding spoilers), Welcome to the forum! Btw, separate your block post into paragraphs, and all will read it.
Enjoy the paragraph breaks.