Pakistani Bollywood singer asks for and gets Indian citizenship !!

Tools    

While several Pakistani actors and singers have worked for Bollywood , no one has asked for Indian citizenship . But Adnan Sami actually asked for Indian citizenship and got it !! ---that too from a hindu nationalist government which is not exactly in love with either muslims or Pakistanis .

http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/pakis...enship-1261281

While several Pakistani actors and singers have worked for Bollywood , no one has asked for Indian citizenship . But Adnan Sami actually asked for Indian citizenship and got it !! ---that too from a hindu nationalist government which is not exactly in love with either muslims or Pakistanis .

http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/pakis...enship-1261281
Hey ashdoc! Happy New Year.
What do you mean by "a hindu nationalist" government? Isn't India a secular nation?

P.S. I read this somewhere not long ago (not sure if it applies in this instance) but it said that Muslims are very concerned with minority rights wherever they are in the minority, but wherever Muslims are the majority, there are no minority rights.

happy new year .

yeah , it is a secular nation but the party came to power peddling hindu nationalism . it has newly banned beef eating in india because cow is holy for hindus .

So how does a secular nation reconcile with a religious-based party coming to power? Is there anything in the Indian constitution to protect the nation from a single religious influence (as pertaining to legal issues & governance)?

I know there are a lot of Muslims in India, but are there a lot of Hindus in Pakistan?

How do you stand on the beef issue?

So how does a secular nation reconcile with a religious-based party coming to power? Is there anything in the Indian constitution to protect the nation from a single religious influence (as pertaining to legal issues & governance)?

I know there are a lot of Muslims in India, but are there a lot of Hindus in Pakistan?

How do you stand on the beef issue?
simple . the party cannot declare india to be a hindu state until it gets two thirds majority in parliament . and it is nowhere close to getting that .

i have eaten beef in the past when it was not banned , though it was not easliy available even then . i feel that the party has unecessarily raked up the issue .

all hindus and sikhs were kicked out of pakistan at the time of partition . recently , an important player of the pakistani cricket team was forced to change his religion from christianity to islam , so the christains are too under threat .

simple . the party cannot declare india to be a hindu state until it gets two thirds majority in parliament . and it is nowhere close to getting that .

i have eaten beef in the past when it was not banned , though it was not easliy available even then . i feel that the party has unecessarily raked up the issue .
Probably being American makes me a bit biased, but I think it's never a good idea to mix religion and government (by that I mean allow a potential for religion to control government.)

I worked with an Indian lady who said that whenever her in-laws came, she had to move all her meat to a neighbor's freezer and hide it there for the duration of her in-laws' visit (because the meat was beef.)

Probably being American makes me a bit biased, but I think it's never a good idea to mix religion and government (by that I mean allow a potential for religion to control government.)

I worked with an Indian lady who said that whenever her in-laws came, she had to move all her meat to a neighbor's freezer and hide it there for the duration of her in-laws' visit (because the meat was beef.)
of course it is not a good idea to mix religion with politics . but the hindu nationalists came to power only after the upsurge of islamic fundamentalism across the world in the past few years . most hindus feel that only iron can cut iron ; only hindu nationalists can take on the islamic fundamentalists .

similarly , if muslims form 15 to 20 percent of america's population , then americans will also vote for a christian party .

of course it is not a good idea to mix religion with politics . but the hindu nationalists came to power only after the upsurge of islamic fundamentalism across the world in the past few years . most hindus feel that only iron can cut iron ; only hindu nationalists can take on the islamic fundamentalists .

similarly , if muslims form 15 to 20 percent of america's population , then americans will also vote for a christian party .

Thanks for explaining that. It makes an odd sort of sense. I'm not sure it's the best solution, but it is somewhat understandable.

Americans do vote for a Christian party.
i mean a real party with fundamentalist overtones , ready to go on the path of violence if it's constituency is threatened by islamic fundamentalists .

Yes, we all know the US has been influenced by the Judeo-Christian traditions of its founders and majority of its citizens which is reflected in much American literature, phraseology & documentation. But our Constitution clearly states that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."

The British and American governments keep sending millions to India,India sends rockets into space and has it's own hollywood.I love paying tax.

that's rubbish a man should be true patriot