O Brother, Where Art Thou?

→ in
Tools    

Didn't see it.
This was one funny movie. It was peculiar like most Coen brothers flicks, but it was still very funny. I highly recommend it.

MovieForums Extra

So it's worth having a look? I haven't seen the movie, but I've heard mixed reviews about it. Some people put it in the top ten list of last year, others in the bottom ten, so I don't know what to expect...

Didn't see it.
If you like other Coen brothers movies, you'll probably like it. It has their weird sense of humor.

I just saw this movie and I thought it was pretty weak. There are attempts at humor but it just doesn't carry over too well. Clooney isn't goofy enough to play that kind of character. It was like Tom Cruise tryin to play one of the three stooges. I don't think so.

I don't agree with Timing's criticism of Clooney's performance. Georgy raised this Coen effort up a notch. He was excellent.

Otherwise, O Brother was a sub-par Coen movie. That being said, it's still one of the best movies of the year.

The Coens don't know how to make bad films.

I thought it was one of the best films of the year without a doubt. George Clooney's portrayal was hilarious, and he should do more stuff like that. He never took himself too seriously. The small parts by John Goodman, Stephen Root, Holly Hunter, and Charles Durning were also just fabulous.

What was the deal with all the blind people, though?

There certainly was a lot of music in it--it almost could have been called a Coen Brothers musical.

There was a certain spiritual tone underlying the general comic theme, which of course was a loose portrayal of the classic "The Odyssey" by Homer.

All around, just fabulous. Everyone I've talked to has loved this movie.

I never liked George Clooney & always avoided his movies, but I'm nuts about Brother Where art Thou. I just loved the way everybody burst into song all the time -- not like Fred & Ginger oldies, where the orchestra starts up & all, but just out of pure cussedness & happiness! And who was the little short goofy one? In that one instant when he relaxed & stopped looking goofy . . . (when he said "I'll buy back the farm . . .) he was perfectly beautiful! I understand that people are trying to buy "Soggy Bottom Boys" tapes now? Very cute!
Love to all
Jozie

O.K. I have seen this movie 100 times at least and just want to know if anyone else can get tired of it?

I love the humor in the movie especially George Clooney. The moral of the story is a great one and the music is amazing.

"When I am older I want to take a barge out on the ocean, and live in the middle of the Bermuda Triangle!"

Love it; got it listed at #3 on my list of all-time favorite movies. Haven't gotten tired of it yet. Been a little while since I've seen it, though, so I might have to pop it in again soon.

I went ahead and merged your thread with an existing thread on this topic, by the way. In the future, please search for existing threads to avoid duplicates.

The moral of the story is a great one and the music is amazing.
Given enough time, all the old things become new again. Plot is from a classical Greek story that is still one of the greatest of all time. And Man of Constant Sorrow was first recorded some 70 years ago. The strangest thing about that film to me was that, back when the film was in theaters, country music stations refused to play any of the songs from the O Brother soundtrack because they sounded too country! Then the soundtrack wins a big music award, and the country stations are sitting there with egg on their faces for having never played it. Reluctantly, they finally started to play Constant Sorrow, but only the acoustic guitar version, not the fullblown Bluegrass version with banjos and mandolins that is the far better of the two.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Hey ruffy, I think you mean the "country pop" stations, which I realize amounted up to 99% of the stations then (now?).

Hey ruffy, I think you mean the "country pop" stations, which I realize amounted up to 99% of the stations then (now?).
Yeah, the "New Country" stations playing tunes that are no more countrified than Los Angeles by singers I've never heard of. Either that or a handful of "Classic Country" stations, which wouldn't be so bad if they would play more than the 40 classics they keep repeating. Thank god for the CD player in my pickup.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
"We thought...that you was...a toooooooad..."

Great movie! The color used in the film gives it the look of an older film, while retaining the technology of today. Truly a film you can watch time and time again without it getting any older than the first day you saw it.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

This is a funny thread to look back at. Was there really a debate about whether O Brother was a good or bad film? Who on Earth wouldn't love this charming, hilarious work?

I do remember a British movie magazine at the time that reviewed the soundtrack and said the Coens normally do well with these things but this one was awful and would definitely be a failure. Whoops.

I'm glad someone remembered this movie. It was great. And John Goodman was a crazy blind racist that ended up getting squished underneath the cross he was burning. Thats a swift boot to the head if you ask me.

In the movie when they pick up that black kid who had sold his soul to the devil at the crossroads, I have heard that its an old myth in the rock world and a couple of other artists from "back in the day" have claimed they have been there or something. I was wondering if anyone else had heard those stories before, and if so do you know were it is!!??
I don't know.
Is it Captain Howdy?