Swan's 2017 Movie Adventures

→ in
Tools    

movies can be okay...
I would say "Dogtooth" is a masterpiece, and "The Lobster" is pretty great.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

Time for me to start making a list. Looks like I am in the 35 range. Dunkirk is lapping the field but my top 5 is really strong.

Surprised Get Out isn't higher for you Swan. Has a legit shot at my top 10.
I like Get Out but I also think it's a bit overrated. Or a lot, depending on how you look at it.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Well, some of them are pretty weak - Minioish but weak.
Wow, so now my nickname is a way to describe a certain kind of films? Sweet.
I will bite, the definition of that word isn't even coming up on Google search. Please share?

Mr Minio the member

That's not a very nice way to refer to him Mind you, he'll probably take it as a compliment

Minioish = Kinkyish - Mr Minio isn't as kinky as he thinks.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Ingrid Goes West -
+
(Matt Spicer, 2017)

[NEW WATCH]

Fully entertaining and perfectly competent. My only problem is it seemed to want to be more meaningful than it actually was. Still, I had an enjoyable time watching it, not least of all do to Aubrey Plaza’s charismatic screen presence.

Wonderstruck -
+
(Todd Haynes, 2017)

[NEW WATCH]

This too was good, and actually the whole time while watching I thought I was going to give it a higher score. But then I realized - was there anything about it that really, really impressed me? Most of all it has a sugary sweet tone to it that, as I digested the film, didn’t sit well.

Lucky -

(John Carroll Lynch, 2017)

[NEW WATCH]

I sat in the theater with my 60-year-old father and remembered that cinema is a beautiful way to ease the pain of aging and fear of death. Stunning that this was Stanton’s last role, because if there was ever a perfect film to go out on, it was this.

Welcome to the human race...
Yeah, Ingrid Goes West is a bit of a mixed bag because I could pick apart all the different pieces it reminded me of (All About Eve, Young Adult, the "Nosedive" ep of Black Mirror) and it's pretty easy to pick up on what it's doing, but that doesn't make it any less affecting.

Wonderstruck and Lucky are both pretty high on my 2017 to-see list.

All three are good and well worth watching. Hope you like the latter two.

Captain Spaulding
That was a lot of +rep, wasn't it?

I love you, Swan. You're the f**king man. I wish everybody was more like you.

I've read some of these write-ups in the past, but it was still time well spent to go back to the beginning and read through the entire thread. It's always such a pleasure to read your thoughts on films. As I've said before, your enthusiasm is infectious. Most people struggle to put into words how a film really makes them feel, but for you it comes across as effortless. Give me your passion, your personality and your candidness over the impersonal objective/technical write-ups and reviews most people churn out. You're incredibly perceptive toward the movies themselves, able to intelligently articulate about individual aspects of a film on both a superficial level (acting, cinematography, etc) as well as on a deeper, more thematic level. More impressively, however, you regularly demonstrate the personal insight that I think most of us lack about why certain films and their individual components resonate with you or don't resonate with you the way that they do.

I think you and I are usually at least in the same ballpark when it comes to movies not named The Devil's Rejects, and this thread is more proof of that. I found myself either nodding my head in agreement or giving you imaginary high-fives while reading through your "Movie Adventures," with only a few stink-eyes thrown in (most notably for your overwhelmingly positive reaction toward Batman v. Superman, which I just finally watched for the first time the other day and found every bit as abysmal as most people made it out to be). Even on Letterboxd I usually keep an eye on what you're watching and if it's something you've rated highly that isn't already on my radar, onto the watchlist it goes. Most of your recent viewings have been for new movies that I haven't seen yet, and I don't want to be even more of a weirdo than I already am and start discussing movies you watched back in January when it's almost f**king Thanksgiving, so I'll just end this public display of affection now before it gets anymore embarrassing. Now lube up and let's make love!

Hehe. It means a lot to read what you said there. It's comforting to know my passion with this stuff is obvious and a strength, because I feel like it's very important to have that inner fire in life. Not even just with art but with everything. Thank you Cap for reading what I wrote, giving me a shock when I logged on and saw 68 rep with more incoming, and responding so kindly. It means a lot to know that my thoughts have spoken to you, buddy.

Shame -
+
(Steve McQueen, 2011)

[REWATCH]

Sex addiction gets talked about with this film a lot and yeah, that’s a part of the main character, but to me that stuff is more just a jumping off point to explore dysfunctional people and relationships in the modern world.

Justice League -
-
(Zack Snyder, 2017)

[NEW WATCH]

An unfortunate disappointment. Felt like it was trying way too hard to imitate The Avengers, which is bad enough on it's own and worse because I don't like The Avengers. I hated the forced humor and the heroes all lacked any real charisma. Batfleck, who was perhaps my favorite interpretation of The Bat in Batman V Superman, was awful in this one and totally different from that previous entry. DC, you can do better than this. Get those guts back.
Lady Bird -

(Greta Gerwig, 2017)

[NEW WATCH]

I absolutely love Greta Gerwig as an actress, she has great personality and thankfully that personality shined in her directorial debut too. I grew up 15 minutes away from Sacramento - which plays as important a role in the film as our main character (played wonderfully by Saoirse Ronan). It delves into cliches a little bit at times, but that doesn’t really matter because the booming charm and emotion simply overpowers any of the film’s flaws.

So jealous of where you live. I can't wait to see Lady Bird. I really need to catch up with Shame and Hunger. I have a feeling McQueen is for me but just haven't gotten around to more than 12 Years.

Apparently I gotta wait until mid-February for Lady Bird. That's too much, man.
I probably won't get it till VOD. Most people hate Netflix buying films but I love it when it happens. Got to sit and enjoy Mudbound last night. Same with Meyerowitz last month. Beautiful option for small films.

Welcome to the human race...
I guess so, though I'm not terribly fussed about most of Netflix's "original" films - for every Okja or Beasts of No Nation you get a bunch of stuff that's hard to care about.

I guess so, though I'm not terribly fussed about most of Netflix's "original" films - for every Okja or Beasts of No Nation you get a bunch of stuff that's hard to care about.
Not untrue but I wonder what my batting average is with theater releases. I probably don't end up caring about 20% of what comes out.

Super jealous of Swan seeing Lady Bird too, looks really good. Shame is great, haven't watched it a second time yet should do that soon. Haven't seen Hunger or 12 Years a Slave yet either.

Hooray for Captain Spaulding?

Had no clue where his name came from until now. Kinda think someone may have pointed it out before and i've forgot though. Watching Duck Soup soon, haven't seen any Marx Bros films.