Gosford Park

→ in
Tools    

I just saw the movie this weekend and it exceeded my expectations. It definitely lived up to expectations and it is worth all the awards and nominations it has been racking up.

I do believe it will also be nominated for several academy awards.

for more info, you can check out www.gosfordparkmovie.com

Want to favor us with more of a review than that? Which performances were your favorite among that amazing cast? Did anybody surprise you or catch your eye who you might not have noticed before? How is Jeremy Northam's singing voice? What did you like most about the flick? What didn't really work for you, if anything?

Give us something other than a link to the film's webpage.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Now With Moveable Parts
I saw a little story on the film, on Bravo, this weekend. Looks like a GREAT piece of work. Love the cast, I adore Emily Watson and Ryan Phillipe. I thought the notion of doing a movie in the style of Upstairs,Downstairs, is a wonderful idea. I've always been a fan of that show. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Saw Gosford Park tonight. Absolutely loved it!

Nobody can handle a large ensemble like Robert Altman. His ease with actors, use of a roving camera and his revolutionary sound designs allow the viewer to glide effortlessly through a large, disparate group of people, yet feel as if you know each character intimately. Whether an actor has but a couple lines or a crucial featured role, you feel you know what each of them is about at their core. It's a remarkable accomplishment of filmmaking that only Altman can do quite like this. That rare ability melds well with the trappings of an Agatha Christie-type story set in a pastoral English country estate, circa 1932.

The entire cast is good - except for the vacant-as-always Ryan Phillippe, who is out-classed by every single actor on screen, from the leads to the extras to the canine. They wisely address this painfully obvious weakness directly in the plot (it's tipped fairly early), but even so, somebody who can actually ACT would have helped considerably. But he's only one castmember out of almost two-dozen principals. The film is certainly strong enough to survive the one bit of miscasting, though it is definitely noticeable.

The rest of the cast is spectacular. Among my favorite standouts are Clive Owen, Kelly Macdonald, Richard E. Grant, Jeremy Northam (he sings...well!), and Bob Balaban, though it's hard to pick out any handful of performances without instantly remembering ten more just as worthy.

As for the murder mystery itself, Altman fans familiar with the likes of The Long Goodbye, The Player, and Brewster McCloud will understand going in that the genre frame is only there to be used as background noise for Altman's more important canvas of character and relationships and brauva filmmaking. The killer is indeed revealed by the end, though probably too quietly and subtly for some audiences to even realize what was just told to them. This is how most of the major plot points are resolved or uncovered, which always excites me as a viewer. I thought Gosford Park was wonderful, smart and always interesting.

Like every single Bob Altman movie since the freakish success of M*A*S*H, this movie will probably disappoint the mainstreamers who take a peek, but that's part of what makes Altman Altman, that he never plays to the lowest common denominator....and thank the Movie Gods for that.

Grade: A

I am soooo glad you liked the film. sorry I haven't been able to respond sooner, i have been out of town.

I thought Kelly MacDonald was quite good, but my favorite performances were from Maggie Smith and Richard Grant.

I do agree that the genre is merely background noise for a larger examination of the issues, but i do think that mainstream audiences could and will respond to the film--especially after it is nominated for several academy awards, which I believe it will.

and the best thing is that I thought Altman might have been done. clearly he is not and I can't wait till his next film.

Altman will never be done, not until he's buried. He's always had periods of bad films (and Dr. T & the Women is one of his absolute worst), but he always springs back. The thing with Altman is even in his failures he's always swinging for the fences. When he strikes out they're unwatchable, but when he connects, man there's nobody like him!

I wouldn't say Gosford Park is among his four or five best films (his '70s work was just too innovative and magnificent to ever be dethroned, even by his own stuff), but it's definitely in the top dozen. In Altman's filmography, that's damn impressive.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
I didn't even really know about this opne - I vaguely remembered seeing a trailer that looked good but only saw it once. Then the film seemed to have disappeared. Then looking for something to see this weekend I saw it at only one of the nearby theaters - looked it up and realized this is totally something I would see! A period piece, and comedy! But I haven't seen it yet. Gorsh, so much I'm meant to see ... still haven't seen Amelie! But I look forward to this one.

I haven't watched this movie yet. I plan on it soon, I like Altman. I really like Altman. McCabe & Mrs. Miller is my favorite of his, so good.

I don't usually read any reviews, but it seems like everyone likes this movie. I think it's gonna be good.

yep, i just saw this over the weekend and i agree that it is one of Altman's best films. Which is saying a lot because he really hadn't made a great film since the player (i didn't really care for short cuts, sorry).

really superb performances, smart funny script. and of course, altmans' usual directorial imprimatur.

you won't be disappointed when you leave the theater.

Well, if it's a reeeeeel good film, we may get to hold our breaths forever before it gets out here to the boonies. But Ihope . . .
Love,
Jozie

Saw this tonight.

I'm so disappointed. I had high hopes for Gosford Park...I was hoping it would be Altman at his finest, but no. I think I didn't like it because, well, hold up...let me put it like this: this movie had the same, er, stylistic qualities of Altman's best work, like Nashville. The dialogue, the framing, the camera moves, etc. But there was one crucial difference for me, and that was the characters. I didn't find one likable character in the whole cast. The movie is cold, distancing, and misanthropic.

I suppose one could make the case that we don't have to care about the characters because the movie satirizing them, but I don't buy it. First off, I didn't see it as any kind of satire - I think it hated its own characters. But even if it was meant as one, then why, oh why, are we thrown headfirst into the feelings of characters we're supposed to be laughing at/disliking?

Let me try to put it another way. Early in the movie, Altman offers scenes that perfectly illustrate how snobbish and ugly the upstairs folk are. This is distancing the audience from them. Then, later, he tries to make us care about the very same trivial matters he was thumbing his nose at. I feel the same way about how the servants were handled - we're kept a distance from them at first, then later we're meant to be compelled. And that's the difference between say, Short Cuts and Gosford Park. Short Cuts cares about its characters, loves them, wants us to care about them. Gosford Park doesn't - it's more preoccupied with illustrating the divide between its rich characters and their servants, and it's just not the same.

Two more complaints, albeit minor ones - the movie was downright ugly. I don't know what the conditions were when they filmed it, but it wasn't pleasing to the eye at all. The visuals looked straight out of one of those Charles Dickens adaptations from the BBC. Also, the running length. I don't mind longer movies as much as most folks, but during this one I was seriously becoming disinterested. It's simply too long.

That said, I was impressed with a few aspects of the movie, namely the cast (Maggie Smith was great, as usual. Also, Helen Mirren was a standout and a half). I didn't have much trouble with Phillippe, although I do wonder if they came up with the "oh, he's an actor" thing to cover up for his piss-poor accent. Regardless, the performances were pretty solid all around.

And I gotta be honest: At the end of the day, I'd rather watch ten Robert Altman failures than one Joel Schumacher success.

Guy
I saw Gosford Park today and was dissapointed as well.

About half way into it, I became bored and uninterested in the characters. It's still a much better film than Dr. T and his Women and Cookie's Fortune though!

I'm also wondering why this is an R film. No nudity, no sex, no swearing and a bloodless murder.

Dear guys --
Well sorrr-eeee, but you're all wet! Because it was really good! Ana and I drove two hours round trip to see it (great stadium seats though). What -- you were expecting Altman to make "Remains of the Day?" It was so cute that he used that Agatha Christie setting to show how snotty those snoots really were -- a little dusting of arsenic on the sugar coating. All those people, all those backstories, all those plots -- that's what Altman does, that's all.
Love,
Jozie

Wonderful movie. Absolutely magnificent.

Onto the complaints. Steve, when you say likeable I assume you mean sympathetic because some of cinema's greatest creations were unlikeable (Jake La Motta, Michael Corleone, Charlie Kane). Do we care for them in some way? I cared for many a character in Gosford Park. In fact, Altman introduced so many well-rounded, interesting people that when the movie finished, I missed them.

Emily Watson's Elsie was the character most dear to my heart. She was genuinely in love with her master and broke the servant's silence to defend the man. Her genorosity to the new arrival, Mary, also highlights her attractive characteristics. Altman, also must have fallen for Elsie to give her such a happy conclusion. I assume she makes it to Hollywood.

Mary was completely loveable. Our little detective. Richard E. Grant - always great in an Altman film - provides a moment of cheer when he spills the drink over Phillipe. Helen Mirren, while cold and lifeless, garners a moment of sympathy when we find out her past. "I am a servant. I have no life". Maggie Smith becomes the movie's comic relief. And Alan Bates sad salute to his reflection is very moving.

No likeable characters? If anything there were too many.

Holden's review was good but a shade too harsh on Ryan Phillipe. I was surprised that he wasn't outclassed in this illustrious company. Kudos to him for trying to do interesting projects and succeeding.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
I enjoyed it; it did run a bit long but I loved seeing this world played out (servants vs. aristofatcats).

I think Ryan Philippe was used, mainly, as another option for a murder suspect, to spice up 1) the murder plot 2) the sex plot 3) character dynamics/relationships (his boss, an American vs. the landed British (culture), a guest vs. the servants). social issues, which is frankly how most Americans are going to feel - they are going to identify with Philippe and ... Weisman, his boss. they're going to feel as baffled by the dynamics in this film as he did while in it.

Jeremy Northam was a darling, as usual. Gorgeous voice. Quite a crime he and the lady in Green didn't get to start something a little more ... I don't know if I wanted them to have an affair but the girl deserved to make her husband and the rest of the lot shocked and jealous. There's an irony to his being used - he's in many of these types of films and is the requisite gentleman - what he plays in this film he plays in real life and his mild smile is a laugh at it all - he impersonates these landed people in real life and is always "entertainment" and nothing more to the rest of the world.

Emily Watson, of course, quite good. I don't know if I really believed that she loved him, though. Maybe a forgiving affection? She knew what he was and knowing that, didn't think she'd LOVE that.

This film does have a major exploration of a thing I can't stand -- not too much of anyway. I totally understand that sometimes things are best left unsaid ... this is a major part of British/aristocratic culture, manners, diplomacy, all that. But I was peeved at our heroine's final scenes. Carpe diem, my @ss.

As you can tell, I DID have feelings for these characters. The initial sensation IS to keep you distanced. It's true, you can't be on both teams at once, in that world. You CAN watch and sympathize for both, though! But then, you get pulled in. You see that an almost military discipline is what give dignity to these people's lives- it is a sort of military, you give up your being to something greater. This is a world where you're grateful for an employer who treats you well and if they don't you make do with what you have because you can't afford to complain.There's a pecking order, a whole world of rules and there are small joys in it. It's a hard knock life, all that. And the life above stairs is just as full of unhappiness - petty betrayals, denials, superficiality.

Which is better? Neither. Both have their ugly side, both have their tough times and small joys. You get what you get when you're born to either, and in the end ... you make do with what you have. Elsie understood that. She was the only one who really did. All others became bitter or vengeful or remained clueless. She's the only one who was aware and, though her circumstances changed, as our detective asked - she didn't regret it. She understood, and just moved on.

I loved it, fantastic.

definatly a best pic nominee, everything was great, cinematography, acting, directing, score, you name it, this movie had it!

Funny as hell i espicaly liked the old women in this movie. Ryan Philippe was great, i think hes one of the best actors.

This movie is a must see, better than in the Bedroom and A beautiful mind. If you havnt seen this or missed it in theatres, i for you.
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me