The Fellowship Of The Ring

→ in
Tools    

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
People like that deserve to be drug out into the street and shot out of stupidity. I mean, come on!!! Has ANY movie ever lived up to the book entirely??? NO!!
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I wouldn't say it has to "live up" to the book. It only has to live up to its own hype. PJ made it fairly clear: it's a good movie first, faithful to the spirit of the books second, and faithful to specifics third. In some ways, the movie was better than the book. In other ways, it wasn't as good. I don't feel comfortable calling one better than the other. They're apples and oranges.

I haven't read any of the books so it was all new to me. The scenery was totally amazing. My favorite character was the elf bow and arrow dude. When he was standing on that hill just shooting arrows one after another, that's was cool. Kinda like a video game or somethin.

Hey, what was the deal with the moth, or butterfly whatever and that big bird. I didn't get that part at all.

The guy's name is Legolas, Timing. And the moth thing involved Gandalf talking to it...he sent a message to the King of the Eagles. He has a name and everything. The book explains it in greater detail, naturally, but in the movie, you're just supposed to realize that he sent a message to the Great Eagle through that moth.

Now With Moveable Parts
I remembered the Eagle thing from the Hobbit. Seemed like everytime Gandalf left the little Hobbits, they would always get into trouble, Bilbo would forever be yelling out for Gandalf, and by some miracle, Gandalf would show up on some giant eagle.
Also, I remember the sword that glowed blue, Sting. Bilbo used it when fighting the Gobblins and also the giant spiders in the caves...

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Yea, above average. Somethings were amazing, some were average. Unlike what MANY people are saying, it wasn't the most amazing movie ever.

Now With Moveable Parts
Really? A Lot of people are saying it was the most amazing movie...EVER? Wow. Don't know about, ever...but I sure as hell won't say that I wasn't impressed as hell by it. Certianaly was better than Phantom Menance...or any other sci-fi/fantasy flick, I've seen in a LONG time.

Ok, so what was that thing that the lady in the woods gave the Hobbit dude? That white shining thingy. And what was that thing that the elf chick gave to Aragon?

Galadriel gave Frodo a phial. I think it's the phial of Elendil, or something like that. Like she said: it will bring you light in a place of darkness, basically. As for Arwen: she gave Aragorn a necklace of hers. I think it somehow symbolizes her decision to give up her immortality to be with him.

So you basically don't know either huh?

What!?

You don't know what the things were.

Ummm, yes I do. The first, the phial...well, I know what it does (basically), and I know how it comes into play later...but I'm not going to spoil one of the next two movies for you. As for the necklace: I'm 99% sure of it being symbolic...though you only asked what it was, and not what it meant.

Errr... k. I had the whole light in the darkness and the necklace thing down already. I guess I'll just wait a year. hehe

Now With Moveable Parts
Anyhoo...

Y'all ready for this?

Aight! Felloshi[p of the Ring was an aesthetically awesome movie that was fortunate to be working with such great material. There are a number of things that I thought were bad about this film. However, I think they all root to poor preparation by the director. At least I hope so. And I do not blame anyone, because filming three long movies at once is proabably an impossible task.

First, the action sucked. I want directors to begin to understand that it is not completely necessary to pace action scenes quite so fast. There is a fine line between quick cuts and a jumbled up mess. LOTR was mostly the latter. One could argue that they were trying to portray chaos and that's why its was so crappy. Please. With that many action scenes in a movie, its simply retarded to make every single one suck. One time, I liked the action: When the Ranger dude was fighting the wraiths on the watch tower. It was still early in the movie, so I wasn't sick of that style entirely yet, and it truly was absolute chaos, with Froto putting the ring on and all that jazz. Perhaps the footage taken of these scenes was just insufficient and so they had top edit it this way.

Second, the viewer got at least fifteen solid minutes of a close-up of a ring in Wood's hand. Dear Christ did I get sick of that shot! The bonus footage on the DVD is gonna be interesting... Perhaps they didn't shoot enough different angles, or were afraid to use the same shots all the time during the dialogue. Actually, that wouldn't make sense becasue that's what they ended up doing.

It appeared that the slow-mo was not shot slow. It looked to me to be quite choppy. can you say: afterthought? Poor planning? That's TV movie stlyes. Come on.

As far as the story and plot, step back. The material they were working with here is unmatched. The one thing I didn't liek was taht damn orc at the end with the bow. The predator guy with Tinactin all over his face. He was such a freakin wuss, but they played him up all beastly.

In retrospect, had this movie had good action (the shot of the elf capping foos that held all long kicked rear) it would have been extremely awesome. Unfortunately, it didn't.