Reviews of "...almost"

→ in
Tools    

Should have my copy soon enough...just starting this thread in advance for anyone fortunate enough to see Ryan's movie. I'll probably post my review here once I see it. If you're reading this, and have no idea what I'm talking about, you can read this announcement for more information:

Can't wait!

Well, I liked the movie.

Have you seen it yet?

Now With Moveable Parts
We're still patiently waiting.

I'm waiting, too. I can't wait...but I am waiting. I can hardly contain myself...though poor Ryan...his might be the next movie I see after LOTR. Tall order.

Now With Moveable Parts
No pressure or anything...sheesh!

Now With Moveable Parts
I saw it! Did anyone else?

Now With Moveable Parts
Okay. This is actually really uncomfortable posting a review. I mean, the director of it is a member. It's not like the untouchable Hollywood types who don't ever read what we say.*ahem*

Anyhoo...

I thought that the main charactor was a tad dull. He delivered his lines as though he were reading them. No one ever talked over each other, either. That bothered me a little.

The writing was pretty good. It drew more than a few laughs.

ALL the women just plain, annoyed the hell out of me. I already told Ryan that. They were horrible. There's this one girl...she didn't know WHAT to do with her hands when she talked. She waved them around, it was very unatural.

Overall...it was a great "first" project. Ryan is very talented. I really believe that his work is going to get better and better.

The irony is that it was Patrick who was usually reading his lines (if you watch closely, you can see him look down in some scenes. This is generally him looking to his script on the floor to find out what his next line is).

There wasn't a lot of preparation done (by me or by the actors), so we ended up with a situation where the actors are trying to remember their lines instead of actually acting. So lack of experience held us back a good bit. Now that I've got a movie under my belt, I'll be looking for experience in actors and make sure we all prepare more.

I almost quit early on after Day Four when one of the actors involved in the scenes that day showed up seemingly hung-over and not only didn't know the lines but also didn't seem to have ever read the script before. And once we finally struggled through the scene, I wanted to shoot the whole thing again from various angles, but the actors refused. So that scene looks horrible (it's the 4th Scene - in Patrick's living room). I was able to get a few shots from other angles, but not enough to cover all the places we had to cut to get through the scene.

The dinner scene had a similar problem in that I didn't shoot enough to cover everything, but that was my fault as I didn't feel very well and just wanted to go (it was the very last thing we shot). There's also the quite obvious fact that it got dark as we were shooting, so the shots didn't match.

There were some other technical things (especially in the sound department, though some other things, too) that tripped me up. But that was just inexperience. I already know how to do better next time around (of course, most directors are not also their own entire crew. Had we set it up like a real movie set, it would've ended up being much more watchable).

Next week sometime, I'll be posting the first scene for my next movie. Check it out and see how much better it looks vs. ...almost.

But in reality, I should probably just go back to Accounting.

You used to be an accountant? My dad was, too. Personally I don't think I could stand it...I hate math. Anyway, back on-topic: definitely looking forward to your next flick, based on what you've told me about it. The title alone piques my interest.

I was never actually an accountant. I majored in Accounting in college, but I never sat for the CPA exam or worked in the field.

I'm not a fan of math myself, but Accounting is never very complicated math, and virtually none of that is done by hand anymore anyway. I was going to specialize in Tax Accounting (and even briefly went to Baylor to get my Masters in Tax Accounting. I didn't last a single semester, though) which is geared more toward tax law and tax advice than the bookkeeping side.

I couldn't do it now. It just doesn't interest me anymore. I don't know that it ever did. But when I went to college, there was a lot of pressure to pick a major. That's just the one I settled on first. Had I picked something I liked more, I probably wouldn't have gone back to college so many times (including this semester. I officially became a Film Student today.... Just at the University of North Texas, though).

Well, you've made a film, you're a film student. Next stop, taking over the world.

silver bullet have u made any films?
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me