Ace's reviews

→ in
Tools    

I wanted to join in on comunity like this in a while and now after I finally found time and a proper place to do it I want to go and start doing some reviews. And more I want to start with something rememorable. So here it goes:

THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION

The heat

When I got to the point to whatch "The Shawshank Redemption" it has already made its way to the top of imdb.com top 250's list. I don't know what that means to you, but for me it stands for something. So the first idea that went through my mind was a hope for really enjoyable piece of cinematographic art. Then I found out it was based on a novel writen by Stephen King, which took away every hope that I had. I am not King's fan, his works as a writer are quite decent (yes this is the word for me). But was yet to see a good adaptation for the big screen. So I went in, hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.

The story

Andy Dufresne, young and successful banker whose life changes drastically when he is convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment for the murder of his wife and her lover.
Nothing spectacular, wouldn't you say? It is a story about a man wrongly accused and sentenced to prison. And yet it was put in a very stylish and not disturbing way. It was not one of those stories where we see the protagonist struggle to live in prison, but the struggle is so hard and he fights harder and he falls harder to the point where you want to kill him to save him from his misery. No, this movie had something that most of today's movies, even from some of the greatest writers, are missing - charm. We see a story about life and those are the hardest to catch on film.

The Characters

Our protagonist is so adorable that no matter who you are, he will win your sympathy. Just like the story, the characters are not that uncommon to see in prison film and yet they are believeble and deep. Each one of them have a certain purpose and it is chasing it. Nothing more nothing less. Even John Cusack's doing a well placed good role.

Directing and Camera work

And here is where it gets tricky - "The Shawshank Redmtion" was all the way a beautiful FILM! Yes, I said it. If Frank Darabont did good job at writing this ****, he did magnificent job directing it. The camera captures the emotions perfectly. Every detail, every shot seems well though and searched for. If there is one thing in this movie that is outstanding this is it. (And of course Morgan Freeman's narrative)

Overall

I can't really say that I agree with this being the best movie ever made, but it most definatly comes close. If you haven't seen it go see it, it is a must for every movie lover. It is a perfect movie for almost any ocasion happy or sad, it will lift your spirt if your down or it will help you appreciate life more if your up.

5/5 Stars
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shawshank-Redemption_-The.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	279.5 KB
ID:	11666  

I have heard of this one, I will have to check it out. The only thing I disagree with is I think it is the best movie ever made.

I liked this review a lot. You clearly added your own personality to it.

As for the movie, I absolutely loved it. What a perfectly put together film. Made me invest in the characters and situation throughout, a difficult feat.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood