Picture file size

Tools    

If you're posting something to MoFo using a host site, like IMGUR for example... make the image no wider than 700 pixels and it won't be adjusted by MoFo's white text boxes to fit the site... and it will look crisp and clean. A good height for an image on MoFo is 500 pixels and that way it will fit the height of the page as well.
Height of an image isn't too important, but 700px wide is as wide as I'd recommend.

Actual file size isn't a problem on MoFo if you're using a hosting site... but the host site itself might not like huge files.
IMGUR hates BMP images... but, it works superbly well with PNG.
PNG is far superior to JPG images as well. PNG is loss-less format, meaning unlike JPG, they don't pick up digital noise when shared between sites and devices.

Thanks for the tips, Rick!

~Doc

Thanks very much. That is indeed server-related. Either the file was huge (several MB), or else you have a corrupted cookie issue, I think. Or you could be running a VPN but I'm guessing you're not.

If you have the post you eventually put the image in, that might help rule out the former. You mentioned something like 82KB, which definitely wouldn't trigger any size limit errors, particularly on the server side.

Can a website allow you to save an image to your desktop, open it, have it viewable, then allow it to post, but then have it not be visible? That's what happens sometimes...

~Doc

Can a website allow you to save an image to your desktop, open it, have it viewable, then allow it to post, but then have it not be visible? That's what happens sometimes...

~Doc
I don't think so.

If you download a photo from anywhere on the internet, and save it to your computer...then upload it to MoFo and the upload is successful, the photo will stay.

My guess is you did not actually save the photo file to your own computer.

I don't follow each part of that question, but: it's possible for you to put a local path, from your own computer, into an IMG tag, in which case it'll show up for you but not other people, since they don't have that file at that particular path on their computer.

And yes, what CR said: if the image is actually successfully attached to the post (not embedded with the IMG tag, but uploaded as an attachment), it'll definitely show. If it doesn't, it's for some unrelated browser/cache/personal computer reason.

Doc, I downloaded this photo from a google image search, saved it to Linux Mint, and uploaded it to MoFo. I did that just to see if maybe Linux added something funky to the file name, it didn't.

Thanks, lads. I suspect the problem arises when I simply right-click and copy a picture from a website, then try to paste it into a post. I'll try confining the process to saving it to my machine first, then uploading to posts. Extra step, but if it works that should solve the intermittent problem. I think I've tried that a few times, but still occasionally got a pic that wouldn't load into a thread-- with the error message I sent Yoda.

BTW, CR, I use Linux (Ubuntu) Mate. So your trial with posting pic via Linux answers my question about the O.S. being the problem.

~Doc

Thanks, lads. I suspect the problem arises when I simply right-click and copy a picture from a website, then try to paste it into a post.
That method causes problems for me too, at times. BTW that's called Hot Linking. Some web sites don't allow Hot Linking, and so yes you can copy the photo form the website and paste it at MoFo, but some hours later that website detects that you've done that, and somehow can break the link...making your photo disappear.

BTW, CR, I use Linux (Ubuntu) Mate. So your trial with posting pic via Linux answers my question about the O.S. being the problem.
Do you have an older version of Ubuntu MATE? The latest version comes with many different kinds of photo software.

https://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/features

Do you have an older version of Ubuntu MATE? The latest version comes with many different kinds of photo software.

https://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/features
It's pretty up to date. New version. I have Shotwell and Shutter, but I've not been able to figure how to resize pictures with either.

I tried to load Gimp, but evidently I've got a package problem, so my Linux guy is going to come over and straighten it out.

~Doc

It's pretty up to date. New version. I have Shotwell and Shutter, but I've not been able to figure how to resize pictures with either.

I tried to load Gimp, but evidently I've got a package problem, so my Linux guy is going to come over and straighten it out.

~Doc
Cool...I have GIMP but haven't used it. It looks to have lots of photo editing tools built in.

What are you using to re-size your photos?
I mostly use Windows 7 and I use Photoshop to resize photos. But Photoshop is overkill for just resizing, as even the simplest little photo editing apps/software will do the job.