Ali

Tools    

Will Smith + Michael Mann = brilliant looking film

I can't wait for this one. I have been growing to respect Mann more and more and am so eager to see how he can dazzle me again in Ali.

I'm looking forward to Christmas even more this year

Steve

It must be the favourite for the Best Picture at the Academy Awards. And Smith, if he's a success, has to be a shoe-in for a nomination at the very least.

But it's going to be difficult. Doing such recent history that so many people already know about it and refreshing it won't be easy. We've all seen pictures and films about Ali, heard his voice, read his words. He is an icon. If Will Smith can embody this, then it will be quite an achievement. He's got the look down. He's got the voice down. And we all know he has the confidence. My fingers are crossed that he can deliver.

If Michael Mann can deliver Ali as good as The Insider then there'll be no stopping this one. But is that an impossible task? The Insider was an incredible true life story but its characters were unknown personalities. Ali's characters from Ali himself to Malcolm X are public personas and are going to be much more difficult to turn into honest and real characters.

This is the film I'm hoping will conquer all comers at the Oscars next year. I've got great expectations but a lot of worries.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
It looks to be a very touching film, and it should deliver the one-two just like the great Ali.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I'm very excited about this one too!

check out these clips i found on ifilm... i guess wil smith's been training a grip for this role as ali.. i hear Ali is actually there in person or something while wil goes through the training... just to make sure things go right. but anyways there are clips of the director & wil discussing ali's ring strategy for the shots, wil practicing, some other inside scoops, they're really interesting.

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilm/product/f...2398630,00.htm

should be good. saw the trailer last weekend..can't believe that will smith the fresh prince...he looks like a real boxer.. crazy. dying to see this also.

B&W
If this movie is done right it will be brilliant!

Peace,

So did anyone catch this film yet? I'm curious to know if our predictions were true. I haven't had a chance to see it yet, since I've been bogged down with family activities, but I've been hearing a lot of good things about Wil Smith! I mean, he got that Golden Globe nomination for a reason right!

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Originally posted by badmemory
So did anyone catch this film yet? I'm curious to know if our predictions were true. I haven't had a chance to see it yet, since I've been bogged down with family activities, but I've been hearing a lot of good things about Wil Smith! I mean, he got that Golden Globe nomination for a reason right!
I've heard mixed feelings above all, so can't make any promises on whether it's good or not. Regardless, I might check it out tonight.

I saw this movie on the 26th and had mixed feelings about it. I thought the boxing scenes were very good and I thought Mario Van Peebles did an excellent job as Malcolm X. The movie got long after a while though, and some scenes were long and boring. Still, I'd be surprised if it didn't receive a Best Picture nom, best director for Mann, best actor for Smith, and maybe a supporting actor nom for Van Peebles, but he did not have a huge part in the movie which could hurt his chances.