Lawsuit Seeking To Halt Commercials Prior to Movies

Tools    

A Chicago English teacher who has filed a lawsuit against the Loews Cineplex chain for showing commercials in movie theaters at the times listed for the movies to start is likely to find others joining the lawsuit, her attorney has told USA Today. The attorney, Douglas Litowitz, has launched a website, www.nomovieads.com, aimed at bringing pressure on exhibitors "to pull the ads or at least be honest about when a movie will start so people don't have to be subjected to [them]," Litowitz told the newspaper. Loews Cineplex has called the lawsuit "frivolous and completely without merit," adding that moviegoers "expect this type of content prior to viewing the main feature." John Fithian, president of the National Association of Theatre Owners, added: "You can either have movies with ads and pay $7 a ticket, or you can pay $12 a ticket and not have commercials."

Get off my island
I don't mind the ads, some of them are quite funny. So long as they don't overdo it, of course

MoFo Survivor - r3port3r66 wins!!!!!!

in Australia we pay $13 a ticket and STILL get to see commercials for free ...hhhmmm...not quite right eh?

It was beauty killed the beast.
When Kong gets his hands on the sadists who came up with this marketing idea they will have their arms and legs tied together like a pretzel.

kong, your post made me giggle (or i expect that'd be KING KONG to me ) why not go introduce youself here and tell us a bit about yourself and your movie loves

I am having a nervous breakdance
The last time I visited a movie theater the film started about half an hour later than announced. I was so pissed. It resulted in me missing the bus after the film. And to top it all, this old guy told me to be quiet during the commercials!! I shot him and his bitch on the spot. Not. But I wanted to. By the way, the film was Bowling for Columbine.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Get off my island
Win some, lose some. Sometimes, there aren't enough. It seems to take a while for people to settle down when the adverts are playing, and some of them don't quite manage it before the main feature starts

My life isn't written very well.
I don't mind 5 minutes worth of ads in front of a picture. Once the movie starts, I completely forget about the commercials. And let's face it, a certain soft drink company owns the cineplex and if smaller businesses can get their products into the public eye then so be it.

What I can't stand is the blatant use of product placement within the picture itself. If you watch Spiderman again, count how many times you see logos for brands of beer. And it's not like the beer logos are a part of the scenery, they have been placed there on purpose. In one scene Spidey is swinging over a busy city street. We all know that special effects went into creating that action. So it's funny that when you're watching it and you see him swing past a beer truck, you feel someone told the special effects team to incorporate that particular logo into it. It's very subliminal.

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

Originally posted by Revenge of Mr M
some of them are quite funny
I agree, there are only only some company's that make good ads like M&ms. Plus wotkin at the theater I see the ads placed sometimes b4 they are added on and there are rarely are that many good ones at all.
I just think they should have ads(not long) related to the movies, then trailers, then then film

Get Low, Get Low, Get Low
Commercials usually take up atleast 5 minutes of the movie. i went to see old school and the commercial with the lady driving the car and the Celine Dion song "drove all night' played the entire time. It was advertising i think for some car add.

Plus a lady fan of PimpDaShizzle V2.0 and Most importantly JRS

Commercials usually take up atleast 5 minutes of the movie.
Commercials don't take up any of the movie running time. They do not cut out the first five minutes to play five minutes of ads.

Hi
I think the commercials start 5 minutes before, the trailers take up time from the movie..

Stupid... movie theatres I mean.

Their margins on food are so astronomical, their variable costs are extremely low (20 teenagers at $5 an hour). I really don't think ads will make or break the cinema. Especially at these big chains.

Get Low, Get Low, Get Low
good point...And why is the food so expensive? At our movie theater (Cinema Center) they charge almost $5.00 for a large soda and about $4.00 for a large popcorn. I figured they already raped you by charging almost 7.50 for the movie (a matinee cost 4.50) I know that they have a quota of some sort to meet, but damn it would be cheaper to rent two movies for that price of 7.50.

UGH

Hi
Aren't movies around 12 dollars in new york city?

Get off my island
It is &8.50 in London after 5 o' clock