Stan Lee VS. Marvel...

Tools    

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I just read about this. The folks at Marvel Films have claimed that Spider-Man didn't turn a profit and are trying to get away with not paying Stan Lee for the use of his characters. He's also been cut out of the potential profits from The Hulk, X-Men 2, Daredevil, and possibly Spider-Man 2, so he's suing the company that he created from the ground up. Are they that corrupt? I couldn't believe this. Spiderman was made for $100 million, and drew in over $400 million to date! I hope Stan "the Man" wins this one for all comics creators everywhere....

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Somewhere in Heaven Jack Kirby is laughing his a$$ off at this. Jack created most of what Marvel publishes today and only gets credit as artist, while Stan hogs the limelight and gets paid $1 mill a year. Before Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko arrived at Cousin Martin Goodman's offices of Timely/Atlas/Marvel where Stanley (Lee) Lieber was working he hadn't created anything that anyone wanted to read. Stan got to ride the coattails of those two creative giants (Jack and Steve) and soak up all the glory while they only got their regular pagerates. And now it's finally happened to "poor" Stan Lee. Jack never got no $1 mill a year, let alone any "created-by" credit.

This is poetic justice at its finest, my friend.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I do not buy that at all. Yes, Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, etc., did help in the creation of many of marvel's characters, but it is stupidity to downplay Stan Lee's contributions. Spider-Man did not exist AT ALL untill Stan Lee came up with the original idea. He did not take credit for the design of the character. (Steve Ditko did, but in reality, Spider-Man was designed by Jack Kirby. Wanna accuse HIM of taking undue credit?) Stan Lee worked in unison WITH the artists at Marvel to create the characters. Face it, without a writer, you have nothing. Give Stan "The Man" credit where it's due.

It doesn't matter whether you buy it or not 'cause I'm not selling it, it's just plain fact. The proof is in the pudding. What had Stan Lee ever created before Jack Kirby showed up to show him how to do it? Huh? Name one single thing he did. You can't, and do you know why? Because he didn't know how to do it until he was showed.

When Jack showed up in 1959 it was at a time when superheroes were considered on the way out or soon to be gone. Retailers were shifting their racks of comics to more profitable items and things were desperate (this despite the recent resurgence of quality stuff from DC; Infantino/Kane/Fox et al). Jack showed up as the guy who (with Joe Simon) virtually created entire markets single-handedly (romance comics, western comics) and brought to the table the most formidable and restless imagination comics had ever seen. The first Kirby/Lee yarns were nothing special but then Jack adapted his "Challengers of the Unknown" group into the Fantastic Four, making an everyman of Reed Richards (borrowing Plastic Man's powers), updating the Human Torch concept (who originally was an android, now a hip teenager), a strong-willed woman who could turn invisible and could kick ass right along with the boys, and a man turned into a Thing who feels compelled to protect the world even though he's regarded as a monster by it (Jack liked the Frankenstein idea). And that was just for starters, he then went on to develop The Hulk, X-men (Cyclops, Beast, Jean Grey, Angel, Iceman), Thor, Black Panther, he brought back Captain America (who he created along with Joe Simon in 1941), Nick Fury and his Howling Commandos (a war mag for people who hate war, as Jack did), The Avengers, he helped in the creation of Iron Man (Stan admittedly did most of the work there) and Daredevil (again Stan gets most of the credit here). Doctor Doom was Jack's as was the Silver Surfer and Nova. Stan helped with Galactus and the Watcher.

Now, if we compare their work together to their work with others, it is clear that Kirby did most of the plotting and probably created most of the principal characters, but Lee supplied all the dialogue and character nuance. In spite of this Kirby never got credit as co-plotter, he was merely credited as "artist." And the official company line at Marvel, due to the fact that Stan Lee is still the face of Marvel, is that Stan was sole creator. Is this fair? I think not. Most times Jack would just draw like mad and come up with the story by the seat of his pants and hand it in for Lee to dialogue and stick his character development in edge-wise. Jack had no choice but to do it this way as he was clearly overstretched by Marvel's burgeoning growth back then and he was doing, think of this number, a THOUSAND pages of story and art a year. That's equivalent to four comics done single-handedly every single month.

And after Jack left Marvel he went to DC and created the New Gods (with Orion, Darkseid, Lightray, Metron, and others), Mr. Miracle (the escapist artist Scott Free), and The Forever People, the Demon, OMAC, Kamandi, and others. He single-handedly plotted, drew and wrote those comics. He was constantly innovating and trying new things.

What had Stan created on his own without Jack or Steve around? Nothing. Can you name any? I have a comics encyclopedia open right here in front of me and I'm looking for anything that Stan did after Jack left but I don't see a damn thing. Jack created almost the entire Marvel Universe out of nothing but his own fire and imagination and he is still credited as nothing but the artist. I mean, for God's sake, Captain America was running around (in 1941!) beating up Nazis when Stan was in elementary school and in the '70s Marvel was printing issues with "Created by Stan Lee" on the front page! Who do you think was in charge back then and made that decision?

Now, having said all of the above, it has to be said that Stan did contribute to the above comics. He especially shone when paired with Steve Ditko (like Spider-man and Dr. Strange). It's just that these two giants brought so much more to the table than Stan did. And he's been soaking up all the adulation and attention while their contributions have been routinely marginalized.

The Kirby/Lee team was one of the most potent in comics before or since. But, if you take the Kirby out of the equation you have: nothing. Check your history, do your own research and don't just take my word for it, there are lots of sources you can go to to verify what I say here.

And the fact that he is just now getting a small taste of what he did to Jack is just purely poetic justice. And I am laaaaughing my a$$ off over it!

First of all it is obvious that one of you is a bit more eduacted in the comic world then the other (I was hysterical at the term "Stan the MAn"). If anything Stan Lee is a liar and a thief and I hope MArvel screws him. What I am dissapointed about is the lack of recognition and respect that Joe Simon gets. He has just recently captured the rights for his character Captain America, and here is an example of someone derserving of credit. Not only was he the intitial creator of Captain America, but also of many many other characters...including the Silver Spider...now, if you have ever seen a drawing of this character (which was created only a few years prior to Stan's "creative genius" Spider Man) one cannot help to laugh at Stan's supposed inspiration of "I saw a fly on the wall and thought it would be cool if a superhero could do that"...all I can say is, what goes around comes around...

Excellent point, Joe Simon is never mentioned these days is he? But, he was an original and an innovator right alongside Kirby (what a team they made!) in the '50s. He and Jack both fired off lawyers at Marvel when they tried to give Stan credit for the creation of Captain America. I've never heard of Silver Spider, though. Any online resources that list this info or pictures that you know of? I would love to see them!

Here is a link off of Joe Simon's website:

http://www.simoncomics.com/bigsil.htm

Thanks for the link. Pretty cool picture. I had wondered about where the original germ of an idea for Spider-man came from, the closest thing I could think of was "The Adventures of the FLY" from Simon/Kirby in 1959.