The DVD at 5 Conference was a huge sucess.
The conference was held in Marina del Rey, Calif June 27-28 to celebrate Dvd's Fifth Anniversary.

It was two days of celebration, moments of candor and encouragement to avoid the mistakes of the past and move on.

The event was presented by the DVD Forum and produced by Video Store Magazine and the DVD Entertainment Group (DEG).

The awards dinner on the first night was emblematic of the whole event, bringing together the home video presidents (and other senior executives) from most of the major studios and independents, senior executives from hardware manufacturers and members of the creative community to recognize those who pioneered the way for what was the most successful consumer electronics hardware and software launch in history.

Warren Lieberfarb, president of Warner Home Video, who unfortunately was out of the country and could not attend the conference, was honored as “the father of DVD” for his leadership in bringing DVD to market, Lieberfarb sent a video message to the gathering, congratulating not only his own staff and industry colleagues, but the creative community “who embraced the vision of the product,” and saw its potential for extending their theatrical creative visions into the home. “It is truly everyone’s success and everyone’s contribution,” Lieberfarb said.

Fellow pioneer Ben Feingold, president of Columbia TriStar Motion Picture Group, also was honored for taking DVD global, and he, too, made a point of thanking many of his staff and others in the industry. Others were recognized for their leadership, including Bob Chapek, president of Buena Vista Home Entertainment, for bringing family entertainment giant Disney into DVD in a big way; and Emiel Petrone, for his leadership as the founding chairman of DEG.

Others hoisting honors for their companies’ early support of DVD were: Steve Beeks, Artisan Home Entertainment; Kelly Sooter, DreamWorks Home Entertainment; Peter Staddon, 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment; Garrett Lee, Image Entertainment; Susan Marble, MGM Home Entertainment; Steve Einhorn, New Line Home Entertainment; Eric Doctorow, Paramount Home Entertainment; Ken Graffeo, Universal Studios Home Entertainment; and John Beug, Warner Bros. Records.

The “DVD at 5” panel sessions, which all looked closely at the challenges and opportunities confronting the DVD format in the next five years, were the main purpose of the conference.

I will try to post some of the more interesting panels, it truelly amazes me how far technology has come.

I thought this should go to the NEWS section, but since the SUBMIT NEWS page is still dead.. hint hint... I put it here.

Enjoy.