Erratic Behavior's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

Saving Private Ryan

Year: 1998
Starring: Tom Hanks, Barry Pepper, Matt Damon, Edward Burns, Tom Sizemore, Giovanni Ribisi
Director: Steven Spielberg
Writers: Robert Rodat
Length: 170 Minutes

A remarkable World War II film from Steven Spielberg. All three brothers of a U.S. soldier named James Ryan have died in combat, so a team is sent on a mission to bring Ryan home safely. The plotline was perhaps inspired by the story of the Sullivans.

The highlights of this film are the battle scenes. The opening battle scene of D-Day at Normandy, while tough to watch, is also mesmerzing and visually stunning. Not only perhaps the most intense, exciting, and realistic war scene ever filmed, it ranks up there with the greatest action scenes of all-time, period. There is another war scene at the end of the film that is nearly as brilliant.

Some have complained that the story line isn't quite that strong. While it is far from weak, it is true that it could've been maybe developed a little bit stronger, and the scenes between the battle scenes could've been a little bit better. I found the storyline to be compelling and moving, but not quite at the level to make this my choice as the best war film I have ever seen (refer to my next review). But regardless, the performances all around are strong, and Saving Private Ryan is a cinematic masterpiece.

***** out of *****

Schindler's List

Year: 1993
Starring: Liam Neeson, Ralph Fiennes, Ben Kingsley, Embeth Davidtz
Director: Steven Spielberg
Writers: Thomas Keneally, Steven Zaillian
Length: 197 Minutes

Throughout the 11 years since this came out and until the other day, I never saw this movie because I knew what type of movie it was. Still, I just had to see it because despite how sad I knew it would be, I knew it would also be a great movie. It's considered by many to be Steven Spielberg's best film. Considering the catalog that Spielberg has, that's a hell of a compliment.

The B&W movie is about Oscar Schindler, a German businessman played brilliantly by Liam Neeson, who profits by using cheap labor from the Jews in the ghettos that they've been imprisoned in by the Nazis. While he intitally has mostly financial incentives, his conscience gets to him as he sees the horror that the Jews experience. Also causing his heart to grow is his Jewish accountant, Itzhak Stern. As Stern, Ben Kingsley gives possibly his best performance since his performance for the ages as Gandhi in 1982. The third main character is the ruthless Amon Goeth (Ralph Fiennes). All three main stars give great performances. I've always felt that Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes resemble each other. Luckily, the two play such drastically different characters that I never confused the two.

Eventually Schindler saves the lives of many Jews who work for him. Schindler's list comprised of more than 1,000 Jews.

The film is very difficult at times to watch, but masterfully filmed. The B&W gives it a gritty feel, and the horrific events (such as the Liquidation of the Ghetto) are filmed in a way to give the viewer a sense of being there. The storyline is also very well-developed. It is in fact the superior development of the characters and plot that catapults this film to number one on my war film list over Saving Private Ryan.

Schindler's List is depressing and upsetting, yet some of its most emotional moments do not come from its sad moments. Some of the most powerful moments come the "good" things that happen, such as Schindler bringing in the parents of a Jewish woman who has begged him to use his power to bring her parents from another ghetto to his factory. There aren't any cheap moments thrown in for extra emotional effect, just realism. Even the sadistic Goeth shows at times that somewhere he does have a heart and a human side, but refuses to let it out and promptly acts violently. This movie is simply a powerful masterpiece.

***** out of *****

Tape

Year: 2001
Starring: Ethan Hawke, Robert Sean Leonard, Uma Thurman
Director: Richard Linkater
Writer: Stephen Belber
Length: 86 Minutes

Interesting film, based on a play by Stephen Belber (the screenwriter). All of the film takes place in a hotel room. Vince (Ethan Hawke) is in town to see a film made by his high school buddy Jon (Robert Sean Leonard). Vince hasn't moved anywhere in his life since high school, still selling and smoking weed. Jon has moved on to making films, but there remains some issues from high school that Vince is still bothered by, dealing with his girlfriend back then, Amy (Uma Thurman).

Some may be bored by the lack of things happening in the movie. But strong performances by the three characters, sharp dialogue, and plenty of interesting camera angles help compensate for this.

The dialogue leads to a conflict between Vince and Jon, and ultimately the incident of the past which is the main source of the conflict will be discussed between the two men and Amy.

***1/2 out of *****

Thanks again Erratic, some powerful movies there