Dirty John (Netflix’s)

Tools    

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
This is a special show based on a true story. I don’t want to say too much as characters are developed episode by episode. It is eliciting strong emotions watching this certain character. I’ll go into spoilers in subsequent posts.

I’m not done yet, two episodes left. I have to say (and this is a giant call) - this powerful performance is truly something else and the most memorable (type of character) I have seen on the small screen.

I feel this show is a must watch.

The shows based on a true story....in some films and shows you can take that with a grain of salt HOWEVER, these people do exist. I have encountered at least one. I'll use the spoiler tags as I don't want to give too much about the character as I think it is thrilling watching it all unravel, episode by episode.

WARNING: "Your Movie" spoilers below
Bana plays John aka Dirty John. I've just finished episode 6 and have two more to go. Bana is the most menacing character I have seen on the small screen and thats with great villains such as a Joffrey from GOT, etc, in mind. Banas performance is however something else. This person, John, is truly frightening. It's difficult to articulate. His intelligence, manipulation and unpredictable behavior, his physical presence, the crazy eyed stare of Bana. It's fear inducing! His seeming invincibility from authority. I appreciate he'd been imprisoned however I don't feel the legal system would be able to effectively stop someone like this in a preventative type effort. I just cannot say enough about this performance - this is the Hannibal Lecture infamy of the small screen. Maybe its because I have experienced someone like this. Of course the situation is no way comparable in terms the extent to what occur in the tv show, nor am I crying victim. I do however appreciate that some people are completely different to how they portray themselves publicly and privately to their peers.That there is no qualms about lies and manipulation. These people that have encountered John, that have been victimised by him, they will not be the same. John is poison.

Going to put this out here even though no one seems to have seen this or is talking about it. I've finished the show and have some thoughts.

WARNING: "Your Movie" spoilers below
Felt in the last two episode the menace of John was subdued. I can't put my finger on it nor does it spoil the show, it showed him as a little more vulnerable. In terms of his demise.....spoiler within a spoiler...apparently this is what actually happened. It's a surprise however given the arrogance and madness of the man I would say he strongly underestimated the youngest daughter. It looked a little unbelievable in the show that he could not overpower her, however I imagine in real life this scene would not have played so hollywood.

Regarding the mother - Prior to her calling the media and her looking at the photo of them and her attending his cremation I feel she was still under his spell and did not understand what had happened. I felt she still loved him. That she still believed it was real and there was some other explanation for his behavior such as he was unhappy. This is not the way I see the character. I believe him to be evil. Everything is a lie - everything was a plan to further himself. I am glad and it was brave of her to tell her story publicly. I feel its important to know these people exist and no every bad guy looks like a bad guy. In an age of online profiles and personal information availability, we need to be aware of the wolves.

It was a great show. One that leaves you thinking. I've raved enough about Bana's performance - it is great. He deserves some recognition.