Director Dissection with Seanc and Rauldc

Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Nice write up Sean! I'll have mine a bit later in the week!

Next will be Fincher folks! I look forward to seeing some films of his that I haven't seen yet as well as revisiting a few others!

Bad news, I think raul and sean are actually letting me be the guest for the Fincher section. Worse news, I'm really excited.

Sean told me among the Finchers we're watching will be Gone Gorl. I haven't even heard of Gone Gorl. So much for being a fan of Fincher.

My plan is to recap Chaplin/Keaton tomorrow and then by Friday watch a Fincher film. I may just start with a rewatch of Se7en.

My plan is to recap Chaplin/Keaton tomorrow and then by Friday watch a Fincher film. I may just start with a rewatch of Se7en.
I think I will start with Seven as well. You in @Swan

Actually sorry can one of you guys tell me how this all goes down?

Yeah for sure. Is there a start day or can I start whenever?
Just whenever. We don't go in order or anything. I try and watch one a week just to keep up, but no hard fast rules and no pressure. In fact we weren't even picking movies the first few we did. It just kind of naturaly evolved to that.

So with Chaplin I would say I am becoming a bigger fan. I hope that my next time I see City Lights a switch turns on because I didn't care for it when I watched it close to when I first joined this forum in 2010.

My favorite still sticks as The Gold Rush, not nominated here but a great film.

Limelight was very impressive and I was very surprised by my reaction to it. Could become a potential favorite.

1. The Gold Rush
2. Limelight
3. The Kid
4. Modern Times
5. City Lights
6. A King in New York

For Keaton, I really love The General. And I thought The Cameraman was pretty solid as well as Sherlock Jr.

1. The General
2. The Cameraman
3. Sherlock Jr.
4. College
5. Three Ages
6. Steamboat Bill Jr.

Se7en

Started with my favorite of his that I have seen. I love the atmosphere of the film. The dark shots give an eerie tone to the film that really gives it a chilling vibe. The scenes in the rain we're also brilliantly well done. He really knows how to use his surroundings to create the film he wants people to love. The story is really well laid out and it keeps us on our feet for the duration. One by one we see this killer laying out plans for his next victim. The chase scene was exceptional. Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman work well off each other, and Kevin Spacey as John Doesn't gives one of the more memorable and chilling performances as a film villian. Of course the ending was quite a decent shock the first time around, it really gives a high climax to the film. Again, Fincher uses the film atmosphere, isolating Doe and Mills in a very unsettling ending. I would find it hard for this to be a Fincher to surpass.

SE7EN is one of my favourite films and by far my favourite FIncher.

I may be able to join in in a few of the discussions here as Fincher is one of the few directors i've seen everything from. Ranked:

01.SE7EN
02.Zodiac
03.the social network
04.Fight Club
05.The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
06.Gone Girl
07.The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
08.The Game
09.Alien 3
10.Panic Room

Have you seen them all Swan? And how many have you seen Raul? He's not quite a favourite of mine but he's not that far away.
I haven't seen The Game or Panic Room.

I have only seen 4. I got a ways to go.
I didn't know that. I should have asked before I decided. I hooe you have seen Zodiac? Only reason I didn't pick that is because I watched it pretty recently.

Chief cook and bottlewasher
The Game is worth your time. Promise.

The Game is worth your time. Promise.
I liked The Game a ton on first watch. That was when it was released though. This will probably feel like a first watch almost.