The Batman

Tools    

I think my comic book movie enthusiasm has come to an end. I can even mark the dates. 2005 with Batman Begins until 2019 Endgame. They have shot their load, it's done. Unless you grew up reading comics which I didn't I think the audiences for these retreads and reboots are going to start dwindling until it's just die hard comic fans going, which to be fair are alot these days. The only thing that might get me to check this out eventually is the Riddler was always my favorite Batman villain. Joker is cool I just think the Riddler has so much untapped things they could do with him...I was really bummed Nolan didn't decide to use him in TDKR. The psychologic mind games he could have came up with would have been fun...oh well
Hmmm... the Riddler in TDKR? Instead of the Joker, I'm assuming.
The Riddler... and Two-Face... together in TCKR?

"Does anyone else feel like a fried egg?"

I think I may have talked myself into seeing this now

not a DC fan but my support worker wanted me to go and see batman with him on friday so i be wearing my MARVEL shirt lol i like zoe kravitz on hunger games. and one of the guys on the movie is from MARVEL also

not a DC fan but my support worker wanted me to go and see batman with him on friday so i be wearing my MARVEL shirt lol i like zoe kravitz on hunger games. and one of the guys on the movie is from MARVEL also
That will show 'em!
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
I’m planning out my liquids restrictions for today. 3 hours

I just got back from seeing this, and...

WARNING: spoilers below
...I don't have quite as much to say about it as I was hoping I would, but that's not because I didn't like it; on the contrary, because I actually liked it quite a bit on the whole. Rather, my relative lack of thoughts is more a result of how familiar an experience the movie was at times, not just with the obvious inspiration it took from Nolan's Bat-trilogy (particular in a scene where another iconic Batbaddie broadcasts his sadistic hostage-taking), but also from David Fincher's murky "serial thrillers", and even the elaborate death traps of the Saw movies, which resulted in the film feeling more derivative than it should have, especially coming from a director as skilled as Matt Reeves has proven himself to be.

However, despite that, and the fact that its somewhat convoluted plot and nearly 3-hour runtime both could've done with a little bit of pruning, The Batman still succeeds as meaty, intelligent, and engaging blockbuster filmmaking throughout, the kind that's disappointingly uncommon in modern Hollywood, as Reeves fully showcases his knack for directing memorable, striking setpieces (particularly during a frantic escape scene from a police station), and fully leans into the rich iconography and symbolism that's made its central character such an enduring figure in pop culture, creating a moody, thrilling experience that ultimately proves to be (mostly) worth the afternoon I spent to watch it. And, while its creative choices can't help but keep it somewhat in the shadow of The Dark Knight, which still remains the franchise's high water mark to date, The Batman still manages to be the runner-up Batfilm for me for now, and a strong foundation to build higher upon for whenever the inevitable sequel comes out; let the cinematic battiness keep flowing, baby!

Final Score: 8.5

I just got back from seeing this, and...

WARNING: spoilers below
...I don't have quite as much to say about it as I was hoping I would, but that's not because I didn't like it; on the contrary, because I actually liked it quite a bit on the whole. Rather, my relative lack of thoughts is more a result of how familiar an experience the movie was at times, not just with the obvious inspiration it took from Nolan's Bat-trilogy (particular in a scene where another iconic Batbaddie broadcasts his sadistic hostage-taking), but also from David Fincher's murky "serial thrillers", and even the elaborate death traps of the Saw movies, which resulted in the film feeling more derivative than it should have, especially coming from a director as skilled as Matt Reeves has proven himself to be.

However, despite that, and the fact that its somewhat convoluted plot and nearly 3-hour runtime both could've done with a little bit of pruning, The Batman still succeeds as meaty, intelligent, and engaging blockbuster filmmaking throughout, the kind that's disappointingly uncommon in modern Hollywood, as Reeves fully showcases his knack for directing memorable, striking setpieces (particularly during a frantic escape scene from a police station), and fully leans into the rich iconography and symbolism that's made its central character such an enduring figure in pop culture, creating a moody, thrilling experience that ultimately proves to be (mostly) worth the afternoon I spent to watch it. And, while its creative choices can't help but keep it somewhat in the shadow of The Dark Knight, which still remains the franchise's high water mark to date, The Batman still manages to be the runner-up Batfilm for me for now, and a strong foundation to build higher upon for whenever the inevitable sequel comes out; let the cinematic battiness keep flowing, baby!

Final Score: 8.5
What was your opinion of the Bat suit? (And is there more than one in the film?)

I like this Batman and this style better, but not the movie overall. Paul Dano’s histrionics are tiresome and uninspired and is easily overshadowed by Barry Keoghan’s role. Jeffrey Wright is great, we all love him, but I don’t know what movie he was in.

What was your opinion of the Bat suit? (And is there more than one in the film?)
It looked cool (and no, there wasn't; not much Schumacher-style "toyetic" shenanigans here, I'm afraid ).

I like this Batman and this style better, but not the movie overall. Paul Dano’s histrionics are tiresome and uninspired and is easily overshadowed by Barry Keoghan’s role. Jeffrey Wright is great, we all love him, but I don’t know what movie he was in.
Keoghan was only in it for about one minute, though...

Keoghan was only in it for about one minute, though...
That was the point.

The doors of wisdom are never shut. - 'Socrates'
I like your thinking lol. I went to a Star Trek convention once and decided to rock the boat by wearing a Star Wars T-Shirt. I did get a few disapproving glances all day haha.
Did you know that in the 1980s movie PREDATOR the titular character was not originally portrayed by Kevin Peter Hall. It was in fact Jean-Claude Van Damme donning a much more insect inspired full body suit before he left the production which then led to the recasting and redesigning of the famous hunter.

It looked cool (and no, there wasn't; not much Schumacher-style "toyetic" shenanigans here, I'm afraid ).
LOL! I wasn't thinking so much along those lines, but more like an evolving suit - I'd seen so many different previews that it began to look like the suit started out rough and made improvements.