Songs that play like a movie - Part Two

Tools    

Hello music fans. For those who have been following the "Songs that play as a movie" postings, I'd like to let you know this is a continuation from the original thread.

There's a reason (or two) for making this concept into two parts. The big thing being that when I post this many videos from my device, the cyber - demon that controls all things mysterious and incomprehensible ( to me, anyway ) online -
starts ' bumping ' me off the thread , making it difficult to read. And post.

And since this has turned into an interactive thread - which I am extremely happy about!!!!! - a new thread will give more space to anyone who wants to send feedback. So please feel free to keep posting your much appreciated comments here.

Also , I thought it would be fun to post the Top 5 'finale' of the list on a separate thread . Of course, since I've been cluttering up cyber space by chattering and nattering at considerable length about these song in thread #1 - it's gonna wind up being a top 6. Ah well, I never have been that good at math.

So next I will post a few comments in response to your comments, and then it's on with the list. And to those who have been following the songs as movies list this far - and any newcomers who join in-
Welcome to the show

A few comments for @dadgumblah. I am happy to hear you share my enthusiasm for John Denver. What a heavenly voice. It makes sense that he was so gracious to the audience to share all his hits. I never got to see him in concert myself, and you are the lucky one 'dad. ' Yes so many of his songs are visual, from Annie's Song to Rocky Mountain High to Country Roads. (Wished there was space to post all of them) Maybe that visual aspect of his songwriting is part if his universal appeal, That and his poetic words and deeply lyrical music.

As far as the blues, I also enjoy everyone from the electric BB King to the acoustic Libba Cotten ( up through Clapton and the Stones, Chris Smither and Bonnie Raitt- all of whom I thought of listing). The blues really form the backbone of rock - and the stories they tell always hit home.

Great storytelling from the country music songs you listed as well - you mentioned that @average joe would like the Wooly Swamp song- that was amazing! - as complete a plot as the best horror movie made, with the ironic twist of the bad guys sinking into the sand. And the Jim Stafford song was full of deliciiously creepy visions- like the parchment note warning the townsfolk not to come round here again.
Brrrrr- reminds me of sitting round the fire at camp, and scaring ourselves silly with ghost stories.

6-
An historical movie, set in the American Civil War, is the clear narrative of the next song. I was made aware of this country /bluegrass singer-songwriter by a talented musical friend, who sent me Claire's CD, with the assurance I'd love this song. The songwriter was inspired, btw, by reading a cache of old letters found by a descendant of the soldier who is the narrator of the song. At first listening , I was wary that this was going to be just a telling of the story of war, glorifying the rebel South. As the verses of the song unfolded , I saw this was a much more universal story, which is based on a true event, during a cease fire in battle. (I can see Charlie Plummer as the soldier) . The spare but lyrical bluegrass backup sets the tone for the story.

I also was thinking of this song when, back on the first thread, @christine was talking about Hattie Carroll finding a resting home where everyone is equal. Words that are haunting; as is this song- movie placed in a setting from about 160 years ago, which, alas, still has meaning today.

Dear Sister
Claire Lynch

And next- the Top

5-

There's not much I can add to say about the next movie, as the song says it all. A story of the unseen lives of a modern age, told by what many consider to be the best pop group ever born.

As Father MacKenzie, I'd cast Anthony Hopkins. As Eleanor, Dame Judi Dench.

Eleanor Rigby
The Beatles

4-
The movie that tells the story of a lovable rogue comes from a traditional Irish folk song, dating back to the 17th century. One could say that traditional folk songs were the movies for people in the 1600s , when news was carried in song form from town to town by troubadours. The narrator of this story is a highwayman, a folk hero of that time- admired because they were poor lads who robbed the rich landlords of their day. Perhaps an early version of Bonnie and Clyde? In this movie, I could see Johnny Depp as the rogue.

There's many covers of this song, and many versions, though the story is basically the same. In this version, there is one verse omitted -
( which I mention because I think it makes the narrative clearer) - and that's the verse where Molly filled the guns with water, so they would not fire.

Jerry Garcia was a lover and performer of folk music long before he was a mainstay of the Grateful Dead. I like this version because he and David bring a lilt to the music, and sympathy for the thief. Who I just can't help but admire myself- because in spite of all his travails and betrayals, he remains a happy go lucky sort of fellow, who takes delight in being alive.

Whiskey in the Jar ( traditional)
Jerry Garcia and David Grisman

Intermission:

Thanks for your interest @average joe. New one coming up.

3-
Story of a journey. A smaller voyage of one family that turns into an epic that spans generations. The song tells itself so beautifully, I need not add to its description.

But I have a couple of observations about how I first heard this song, and how it came to be. Sometime after 9-11, this song was performed on the Letterman show. Hard to believe that's almost twenty years ago. But one can still remember the shock and raw shattered nerves the nation felt, and certainly , of the populous of the stricken city of New York. So, this song became a sort of salve, a lullabye for a country, in the most unlikeliest of times. An answer to crisis of a gaping loss that makes one wonder -where is there hope.

Secondly, despite what it says at the end of the video, this song was not written by Nanci Griffith. It's not her story. It was written by Julie Gold. She was a struggling songwriter, who came to New York City to try and make it in music. She worked odd jobs, including clerking at a library, while trying to make music. At the age of thirty, she was going nowhere in music, and was barely hanging on by a thread financially. So, with a good deal of apology and embarrassment, she asked her parents if they could find it in their hearts to support her for six months while she pursued her dream.

They said yes. And they also sent her the piano she'd left behind at home in Philly as a birthday gift. . Which barely
fit in her cramped one room apartment. She started writing songs on that piano in a frenzy of energy. The first song she sat down to write was something called From A Distance. Yes, the song that was sent to Bette Midler who catapulted it to fame. Julie broke out of poverty from the royalties and has lived comfortably in Manhattan ever since. It was reported that when she first hit it big, Julie went back to the library she'd worked at, and gave a free concert.

And this song was sung there. It was part of the group of songs she'd started writing on her six month 'reprieve.' And the song was written for her parents. It was their story. They were the ones who escaped from the horrors mounting in Europe in the thirties. And who found it in their hearts to give their beloved daughter the very gift that would make her whole.

Goodnight New York
Performed by Nanci Griffith and Emmylou Harris
Written by Julie Gold.

The obvious songs that play like a movie are Bohemian Rhapsody, Stairway to Heaven, Eleanor Rigby, and Billie Jean. And those are just 3 songs I thought of at the top of my head.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

All good picks @mojofilter. At least one of them - Eleanor Rigby- appears on my list. I've now posted 23 songs that could be movies, and a few mofos have mentioned a good number of other cinematic songs . When I started the topic of this thread ( this is part two) , I didn't realize how many different styles of songs - like heavy metal for instance- were story tellers. Always interesting to hear about music and share ideas on songs.

And btw, one song I considered but didn't make the final countdown- may be of interest to you -
I've Got My Mojo Working - great song!

2-
The movie is about a chance meeting in a jail cell , by two men traveling in different directions. Jerry Jeff Walker, a Texan musician, is the narrator and the writer of the song; he's the guy on the way up. An indigent street performer is the second man; he's the one who called himself Mr. Bojangles
( after the famous dancer Bill Robinson , though the dancer in this song was a white man. ) Our Mr. Bojangles is the man on the way down, in fact, he's already landed there. The story told us is that Jerry Jeff was arrested for public intoxication. Though Jerry himself has mentioned that the true inspiration for the arrest may have had more to do with Jerry making a pass at the lawnan's wife. According to legend, it was a completed pass. That's no surprise to this member of the audience, as Jerry Jeff in those days (and even now) was what one might call a 'purdy' tall drink of water.

Mr. Bojangles was rounded up during a sweep made during a high profile murder case, when any impoverished soul hanging about on the street was subject to arrest. The dancer took the name Bojangles as an alias to the law. Telling each other their stories in their shared cell , Jerry heard some light hearted tales about the dancer's life. But the mood turned serious when the dancer started talking about his dog; which inspired Jerry Jeff to write this timeless song. The song was not only a hit for Jerry Jeff, but recorded over and over by many musicians. I've chosen the version here because I like how the musicians imbue its bittersweet story with a joyful lilt. As for Mr. Bojangles , perhaps it is possible to believe that he was able to find- within his daunting, untethered journey through life- in every day; true moments of joy. In the dance.

Mr. Bojangles
The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Written by Jerry Jeff Walker

Final Intermission

It's time to wrap up this song list, and though it's been a bit of a while since the last song was posted ; today is the perfect day for the big reveal.

But first, I will offer a final instrumental break, giving listeners the time to grab a cola, a coffee or a wine cooler, find a seat and settle in. Relax , adjust your headphones, and enjoy:

Icarus
The Paul Winter Consort

NUMBER ONE

And today is his birthday -
I knew from my first post that it would be one of his as my number one song/story pick. The original troubadour, the Bard of Bleecker Street and the person who took inspiration from all the music that played before he started singing and writing; and who influenced all the music that came after, And he's still touring and still writing songs as strong as ever.

Only thing I wasn't sure about was which song to pick. And I thought of about a half dozen other songs; some that were more famous, and some that told more linear stories; but I settled on my first instinctive choice.

If the story told here is as mysterious and poetic as it is narrative, well that's fine with me. Most reviewers have little doubt it was dedicated to his wife Sarah. They cite clues such as her last name Lowndes was similar to lowlands, and her first 'magazine husband' worked in publishing.

If you're looking for a clear story, I would say it is of a man who cares so deeply that he has come to know and understand and accept every nuance of this woman, and to embrace everything she's made of.

But you don't need to unravel every hint and nuance , you can just glide along in the journey, as the song unveils a story as profound as has ever told
It's there in the words
It's there in the music
It's there in his voice

It's the oldest story in the world-

It's the story of love.

Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands

BOB DYLAN

Thanks to those who listened, posted songs and comments.

And thank you to Bob Dylan for your music and inspiration, and for being the first to welcome the Muse into my life.

Happy Birthday Bob!!!!

May 24, 2019 : 78 years today -
and may you stay forever young!