Can someone explain Identity to me? *SPOILERS*

→ in
Tools    

Can someone please explain identity to me? I knew it wasn't the prisoner after he was running away, and i thought it was probably the excop after he had suspicously surprised the prostitute. But the end really confused me.

It made it sound like the excop, cop, and kid were guilty. Identities i know but that still doesn't explain it. All of those people were real. The prostitue, owner of the motel, etc all talked to the kid, cop, and excop and mentioned their names or occupations, the so called identities even had their own cars. I also don't understand the same brithday. I understand that his identities would of had the same brithday but the prostitute had the same brithday as well. Was she another identity? Another thing i don't understand is who the hell cleaned up all of the bodies, and how the dead body in the freezer relates to this all.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Every single person trapped at the motel was an identity.

The kid did it all, too.

Ahhh! So he was convicted with multiple murders that we never knew about, and the whole movie was him killing off his identities to leave only one? Thats pretty cool, thanks