Matchstick Men

→ in
Tools    

A review by Gary Johnson
[b]I agree with what he has to say. Our tastes here connect, bringing enjoyment to this flick. Which attracted me to this great interview. Real literal 50/50 excitement.

While Ridley Scott isn't known for directing comedies, he did indeed score with one of the best off-beat dramas of the '90s — Thelma and Louise, which mixed good doses of comedy with tragedy. So Scott isn't completely new to the comedy genre. But his name remains mostly tied to action movies such as Alien, Blade Runner, and Gladiator.

Now, in Matchstick Men, he tackles something else entirely — a high-pitched drama of con-game manipulations mixed with the broadly played comedy of a father-daughter relationship. Nicolas Cage plays a con man named Roy who has a serious obsessive/compulsive disorder (a la Jack Nicholson in As Good As it Gets) who suddenly discovers he has a teenage daughter named Angela (Alison Lohman). We see he is so troubled by his estranged relationship with his wife and daughter that it becomes manifested in his behavior. He compulsively cleans every inch of his apartment, and all doors or windows must be opened in a repetition of three — open ("un"), close, open ("deux"), close, open ("trey," he says). In spite of his avocation, in spite of the fact that he makes a living by bilking people out of money, we sense his extreme vulnerability and this helps him win over the audience in spite of his status as a criminal.

The movie succeeds or fails based on how involved you become in Cage's efforts to form a relationship with his daughter. I have to admit, however, that I was bored by this part of the movie. Not that I'm an action movie junky (I'm not) and I couldn't wait for an action movie plot to take over (I wasn't). But there is little at stake here for the daughter. She's a mannequin, a pretty, perky non character. For the father-daughter relationship to work, we have to understand what is at stake for her, and the movie only offers generic faux problems. In other words, nothing out of the ordinary. And that's exactly the problem: she's utterly ordinary and the filmmaking lacks the attention to detail that might make an ordinary character interesting.

Most of the father-daughter scenes consist of Cage reacting in horror to something that Lohman has done. She doesn't take off her shoes before walking across his carpet. She hangs her underwear in the bathroom. She opens the Venetian blinds and lets in light. But because of the movie's structure — I can't reveal much about this — we can't experience what she's going through. She has to remain an enigma. I question this decision. I wish the filmmakers had let us in on the surprise. Surprises by their very nature are cheap. They work once and then the trick is over. By letting us beneath her faηade, we would have been given the chance to see what she's going through. In other words, we would have been allowed to see what she's actually getting out of the relationship. As is, however, we don't know who she is. We don't see her with other people — which because of the movie's structure can't be allowed. But this cheapens her and makes her a less rounded character.

To the movie's credit, though, once the con-game plot kicks in and Roy (Cage) becomes busy working a customer, along with his partner Frank (Sam Rockwell), the movie becomes fairly gripping, although it's also very familiar (thanks to movies such as The Grifters). The movie gains much of its sense of suspense simply from the fact that con man Roy is always on the verge of succumbing to his pathological obsessions. During a con, he nearly breaks down when a door is opened and fresh air flows in. The fact that a nutcase like Roy plies such an unusual trade (provided you can buy this conceit) provides for edge-of-your-seat suspense. While Roy is frequently a basket case, he can come to life when plotting a con. The excitement of planning a new con invigorates him. Here is where the movie really soars. These scenes are so wonderfully off beat and unusual that the father-daughter stuff becomes all the more bland and unconvincing — like a coy television situation comedy. Matchstick Men is a mixed bag — the con-game scenes are superb and Nicolas Cage delivers an outstanding performance, but the father-daughter scenes are poorly conceived.

Grade - B

It was beauty killed the beast.
Wow, Kong felt almost exactly opposite the way you do. Kong felt that the scenes between Lohman and Cage were easily the films best, and that all of the con stuff was less interesting.

Kong felt this way because the characters are all so quirky and eccentric. When they are just being themselves and interacted with one another it is a joy to watch. The acting is over the top, but in a bubbly, exciting way. The problem with the con scenes is that these highly dysfunctional people have to play it straight. They have to be normal, and normal isn't near as interesting as they are when they can simply be their weird and funky selves. Not only that, but all of the con stuff has been done before, and didn't feel as fresh.

Of course, the super cheap ending ends up changing the way everything is percieved.

The Adventure Starts Here!
I dunno about all this. I think anyone who has kids can easily understand how quickly they can change your perception of everything. For instance, even if you sneaked outta the house as a teen, once you HAVE a teen, suddenly it doesn't seem so innocent. I thought Cage played the sudden-father part quite well, and convincingly. Granted, Lohman plays the 14-yr-old a little too easy-going. Yoda mentioned to me in the theater early on after she first appears that she sure didn't seem "changed" enough by meeting her father for the first time in her life. She seemed a little too flippant about it. As soon as he said it, I realized he was right, but I'm not even sure I would have noticed that subtlety on my own. I was too busy reminding myself that Lohman is a 23-yr-old actress playing a 14-yr-old, so I kept thinking, "Wow, she really does a great job of being 14." Subtler things slipped by because I was too busy being fascinated by her accurate portrayal of a typical 14-yr-old.

Having said that, I also heard in advance that the ending was cheesy or cheap, and was therefore so ready for disappointment. But, I wasn't disappointed. I thought some things came full circle (things I guessed early on, other things I hadn't), and I was relieved that the ending wasn't cheesy as I had feared. (My feared endings would have been far worse.)

I forget how to hide spoilers in here, or I'd say more.

Just out of curiousity, is Kong the only one who thinks the ending was a complete disaster?

The Adventure Starts Here!
Originally Posted by Kong
Just out of curiousity, is Kong the only one who thinks the ending was a complete disaster?
Don't get me wrong, Kong. In a few days I may think the ending was stupid. But, since I feared the worst, I was relieved that it wasn't as bad as I was fearing.

Do you know my poetry?
Well kong, I absolutely loved the ending, such a plot twist that was, can I ask, why do you think its a complete disaster? I thought that ending was one of the best endings I've ever seen for a movie.I loved all 3 stories, in this order, The father-daughter relationship, the con-man story, and then him being all sick all the time.This is probably what I think, the best movie of the year.And also I strongly believe Nicholas Cage should win an academy award for his performance here.

Matchstick Men - A+++

Originally Posted by Ezikiel
Well kong, I absolutely loved the ending, such a plot twist that was, can I ask, why do you think its a complete disaster?
It's the same plot twist used in 95% of all con films. Completely cliche. That's not really what makes it a disaster though, what makes it a disaster is that all of the best parts of the film turn out to be a complete
WARNING: "Matchstick Men" spoilers below
fraud.

In essence, the movie swindles itself. It undermines everything it so beautifully created, and it does so for nothing more than a cheap and cliched surprise.

Do you know my poetry?
I didn't think there were any cliche's in the movie, especially the ending, Well I say the ending was not a cliche but not everyone will agree with me, so thats that. I thought the "One Year Later" thing was done excellent, not like other movies where they do the "one year later" and it sucks. Well people have different opinions, my opinion, excellent movie, excellent ending, and I spotted no cliches in this movie.

Originally Posted by Ezikiel
I didn't think there were any cliche's in the movie, especially the ending, Well I say the ending was not a cliche but not everyone will agree with me, so thats that. I thought the "One Year Later" thing was done excellent, not like other movies where they do the "one year later" and it sucks. Well people have different opinions, my opinion, excellent movie, excellent ending, and I spotted no cliches in this movie.
But the twist is virtually the same twist used in almost every con movie! That idea has been done to death! How is it not a cliche?

Hi
But the twist is virtually the same twist used in almost every con movie! That idea has been done to death! How is it not a cliche?
It's not a cliche if you haven't seen a con movie.

This movie (which I saw today for free, so nobody conned me out of any money) was just way too clever with its plot developments and didn't care at all about its characters. I left feeling unsatisfied and confused. I did not catch any hints at all about the twist ending.

I haven't really seen any other con movies (that I can think of), but Kong is right - a con movie conning you sounds like a cliche they can't stop. When I realized the film was all a con, I thought "aha!" but felt sad because I was really hoping for some more from the characters. But I guess that's what the movie was intended to do...

Do I care about Roy or Frank or Angela now? Nope. Not anymore. Frank, especially, was a totally wasted character.

And how about that very ending, where we see Roy, now with the grocery store cashier, who's got a bun in the oven? I'm sorry, but how about telling me how does Roy now live with all his ticks and his obsessive compulsive disorder? When he humped the cashier to make the bun in the oven, did he say "Uno, Dos, Tres!"? Or are we just to assume that since he had a woman in the past, he can handle a woman now? I can't buy it... I'm also surprised that they didn't make him an antiques dealer in the end. They were being so clever too... did they think that not making him an antiques dealer would be a clever SURPRISE?

And what was with Alison Lohman's dress in the final scene?

Do you know my poetry?
Originally Posted by Tuna
It's not a cliche if you haven't seen a con movie.
Yeah thats true, Kong, thats why I dont think its a chiche, because I havn't seen to many con moives.

I personally didn't like the ending because I had so gotten to enjoy the relationship between the 3 main characters. I did feel really cheated, but maybe that is what they were trying for, to feel exactly how Nic Cage's character felt. If that is so then they succeeded in spades.

Originally Posted by jrs
For the father-daughter relationship to work, we have to understand what is at stake for her, and the movie only offers generic faux problems. In other words, nothing out of the ordinary. And that's exactly the problem: she's utterly ordinary and the filmmaking lacks the attention to detail that might make an ordinary character interesting
I totally agree with this.

The fact that they never showed the daughter and the mother together, kind of helped give away the ending somewhat. I felt they should have not tried to make a twist like that and just tell the father daughter story straight up and have scenes with the mother and daughter together so the relationship could have felt more real. Also when they tried to make Alison Lohman look older at the end I thought they just made her look unnaturally creepy and trampy.

I must become Caligari..!
WARNING: "Matchstick Men & Nine Queens" spoilers below
Yeah , i didnt like the ending, It was done much better in Nine Queens
It's a god-awful small affair, To the girl with, the mousy hair, But her mummy is yelling "No", and her daddy has told her to go, But her friend is nowhere to be seen, Now she walks through her sunken dream, To the seat with the clearest view, And she's hooked to the silver screen, But the film is a saddening bore, For she's lived it ten times or more...

I ate all your bees.
Whilst I felt cheated by the ending at the time by the end of the movie I was glad of it, everything turned out for the best if not better , I'm a sucker for happy endings.

Mother! Oh, God! Mother! Blood!
Originally Posted by jrs
While Ridley Scott isn't known for directing comedies, he did indeed score with one of the best off-beat dramas of the '90s — Thelma and Louise, which mixed good doses of comedy with tragedy. So Scott isn't completely new to the comedy genre. But his name remains mostly tied to action movies such as Alien, Blade Runner, and Gladiator.

Now, in Matchstick Men, he tackles something else entirely — a high-pitched drama of con-game manipulations mixed with the broadly played comedy of a father-daughter relationship. Nicolas Cage plays a con man named Roy who has a serious obsessive/compulsive disorder (a la Jack Nicholson in As Good As it Gets) who suddenly discovers he has a teenage daughter named Angela (Alison Lohman). We see he is so troubled by his estranged relationship with his wife and daughter that it becomes manifested in his behavior. He compulsively cleans every inch of his apartment, and all doors or windows must be opened in a repetition of three — open ("un"), close, open ("deux"), close, open ("trey," he says). In spite of his avocation, in spite of the fact that he makes a living by bilking people out of money, we sense his extreme vulnerability and this helps him win over the audience in spite of his status as a criminal.

The movie succeeds or fails based on how involved you become in Cage's efforts to form a relationship with his daughter. I have to admit, however, that I was bored by this part of the movie. Not that I'm an action movie junky (I'm not) and I couldn't wait for an action movie plot to take over (I wasn't). But there is little at stake here for the daughter. She's a mannequin, a pretty, perky non character. For the father-daughter relationship to work, we have to understand what is at stake for her, and the movie only offers generic faux problems. In other words, nothing out of the ordinary. And that's exactly the problem: she's utterly ordinary and the filmmaking lacks the attention to detail that might make an ordinary character interesting.

Most of the father-daughter scenes consist of Cage reacting in horror to something that Lohman has done. She doesn't take off her shoes before walking across his carpet. She hangs her underwear in the bathroom. She opens the Venetian blinds and lets in light. But because of the movie's structure — I can't reveal much about this — we can't experience what she's going through. She has to remain an enigma. I question this decision. I wish the filmmakers had let us in on the surprise. Surprises by their very nature are cheap. They work once and then the trick is over. By letting us beneath her faηade, we would have been given the chance to see what she's going through. In other words, we would have been allowed to see what she's actually getting out of the relationship. As is, however, we don't know who she is. We don't see her with other people — which because of the movie's structure can't be allowed. But this cheapens her and makes her a less rounded character.

To the movie's credit, though, once the con-game plot kicks in and Roy (Cage) becomes busy working a customer, along with his partner Frank (Sam Rockwell), the movie becomes fairly gripping, although it's also very familiar (thanks to movies such as The Grifters). The movie gains much of its sense of suspense simply from the fact that con man Roy is always on the verge of succumbing to his pathological obsessions. During a con, he nearly breaks down when a door is opened and fresh air flows in. The fact that a nutcase like Roy plies such an unusual trade (provided you can buy this conceit) provides for edge-of-your-seat suspense. While Roy is frequently a basket case, he can come to life when plotting a con. The excitement of planning a new con invigorates him. Here is where the movie really soars. These scenes are so wonderfully off beat and unusual that the father-daughter stuff becomes all the more bland and unconvincing — like a coy television situation comedy. Matchstick Men is a mixed bag — the con-game scenes are superb and Nicolas Cage delivers an outstanding performance, but the father-daughter scenes are poorly conceived.

Grade - B
Notice how everyone responded to this review as if jrs had written it. It was actually written by Gary Johnson Here , and this pisses me off because it's happening on a regular basis.
NEW (as of 1/24/05): Quick Reviews #10

I think a lot of the film's problems lie in how it's perceived. Sure the "twist" at the end isn't exactly FULL SUN. But I think it was more of a character study than a heist movie, anyway. As such, Nicholas Cage gives us a great little performance that could so easily have fallen into a ham-tastic mess.

It didn't, though. And I walked away happy.

Evolution in Progress...
No matter what you thought of the movie... I dare somebody to say that Cage wasn't an awesome obsessive compulisive guy...Cage was awesome in that movie. In fact I may buy it just to watch Cage tweak...
Hmmmm tweaking...reminds me of the Salton Sea....now i must go watch the Salton Sea

EVERYONE MUST WATCH THE SALTON SEA!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kilmer Rules U!

"Some people have a gift for stupidity,an almost mystic ability to withstand any form of logic."-David Gemmell

When I become and Evil Lord dominating all mankind to my will if an advisor says to me "My liege, he is but one man. What can one man possibly do?", I will reply "This." and kill the advisor.