Kickboxer: Retaliation (2017)

Tools    

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
Production has been completed on the sequel to the reboot of Kickboxer, which marked the lead role debut of Canadian stuntman Alain Moussi, who took over the role of Kurt Sloane, who turns to his brother's teacher Durand, played in full circle by the original Kurt, Jean-Claude Van Damme, to avenge his brother's death at the hands of Tong Po.

The sequel is set a year after the first film's events, where Kurt is forced back to Thailand to face a new opponent by the name of Mongkut, played by Game of Thrones' Mountain himself, Hafthor Julius Bjornsson. Kurt ends up in prison to fight and soon finds himself challenged over and over again when he refuses to fight Mongkut. He soon finds a new group of mentors alongside Durand. They include the likes of Mike Tyson, soccer star Ronaldinho as a master kicker, Fabricio Werdum, and Roy "Big Country" Nelson.

Christopher Lambert plays Thomas Moore, the mastermind behind the operation who is an ex-patriot and martial arts expert himself.

Dimitri Logothetis wrote and directed the sequel. He co-wrote the first film in the reboot saga, which has been confirmed it will be a trilogy. Kickboxer: Vengeance is the first film and is already on DVD & Blu-Ray.

tournaments with a story

I would have not even thought about watching this...and then I saw the cast.

50% is wanting to see the Mountain on screen for more than 5 minutes. Then throw in a Christopher Lambert (is that make-up or we get work done?) villain, real-life Balrog and I'm in.

I would have not even thought about watching this...and then I saw the cast.

50% is wanting to see the Mountain on screen for more than 5 minutes. Then throw in a Christopher Lambert (is that make-up or we get work done?) villain, real-life Balrog and I'm in.
There's loads of real-life fighters in the film aside from Tyson. They include kickboxing champ Rico Verhoeven, MMA fighters Wanderlei Silva, Fabricio Werdum, Shogun Rua, and Roy "Big Country" Nelson, and strongman Brian Shaw. Soccer star Ronaldinho plays a prison who helps our hero refine his kicking skills as well.

I actually liked the first reboot Kickboxer: Vengeance so I'm definitely on board for this one.

Well Go USA is releasing this in select theaters on January 26. They put their official trailer up today.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Who is the big chunky guy? He's packing some serious muscle - reminds me of the more athletic sumo wrestlers. Didnt realise Lambert was still around.

Who is the big chunky guy? He's packing some serious muscle - reminds me of the more athletic sumo wrestlers. Didnt realise Lambert was still around.
That's Hafthor Julius Bjornsson. He's an Icelandic Strongman champion and is known today for his role as Gregor "The Mountain" Clegane on HBO's Game of Thrones. He replaced Conan Stevens, who played the character in the first season.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Ah thanks very much, WFG. He's one whole lotta man, that's for sure.

in for an 80s style revenge type of martial arts action film. but i want stan bush soundtrack otherwise i won t watch it

I came across something interesting with both Kickboxer: Vengeance and Kickboxer: Retaliation. The filmmakers truly pay some sort of homage to the original saga (1989-1995, five installments) in terms of various references:

The original Tong Po, Mohammad "Michel" Qissi, made a cameo appearance as a prisoner in Vengeance.

One of Kurt's training moves includes a jump onto a platform then backflipping off of it. The same move was used by Mark Dacascos when he completed the original saga in The Redemption: Kickboxer 5, where he played Matt Reeves, who was out to avenge the deaths of his student and good friend David Sloane.

Finally, I saw on the IMDB page that martial artist and actor Kamel Krifa appears in Retaliation. He took over the role of Tong Po in Kickboxer 4: The Aggressor, Sasha Mitchell's last Kickboxer film as David Sloane.