The Nobel Prize of Literature

Tools    

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
He's also against the war in Iraq like many, many other people, which isn't a very controversial standpoint. Do you see what I mean? There was a lot of people who were against the NATO intervention, mainly because they didn't understand the suffering and the slaughter that was going on. Isn't it possible that Pinter was one of them?
such an "intelligent" and high profile person shouldn't be so ignorant and if you're going to sign a petition and speak publicly about such an immensely touchy subject i would get my facts straight wouldn't you?
He's talking about The Swedish Academy.
yes i was, but i wasn't sure...
"Her"??? Now wait a minute... I'm not manly enough for you? Now that hurt.
woops sorry man, i don't know why i assumed you were a chick...

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Some pleasure, sure! And it can indeed make me feel a bit better, depending on what kind of day I had.

Awwwww, shucks. Thanks. But I still won't go past first base on our first date. Well, not unless you take me to a really expensive restaurant. That'll by you a little second base.

Just honk the horn, I'll be ready by 8:00.
i'm sure you get a lot of action with that "lovely" personality of yours...

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
I'm sorry but what's the award of Bob Dylan for?

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by adidasss
such an "intelligent" and high profile person shouldn't be so ignorant and if you're going to sign a petition and speak publicly about such an immensely touchy subject i would get my facts straight wouldn't you?
I'm sure I would and I'm not sure what exactly it is he's said about all of this but I'm sure that if it was worth digging deeper into the reporters, who love controversy, would have been all over it by now. I still think based on what you've said that it's not enough for the Academy to take it into consideration when appointing the winner of the prize.

woops sorry man, i don't know why i assumed you were a chick...
Ah, hence the the pics of you in briefs you've been pm:ing me recently....

Originally Posted by terry
I'm sorry but what's the award of Bob Dylan for?
There's a Bob Dylan Award? I wasn't aware of that.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Of the authors on that list, I recommend Orhan Pamuk. His writing is wonderful. Even though he's only in his early 50s I think he'll probably get the Nobel in the next handful of years. His memoir, Istanbul: Memories & the City, is his most recent book, but his latest novel, Snow, is now available in paperback and very, very good.
Here it is a year later and I was right.

I was very happy to see yesterday that Turkish author Orhan Pamuk was named the Nobel Laureate in Literature. Being embroiled in his own legal troubles with the Turkish government probably helped push him over the top this year, but the bottom line is he's a great writer.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I am having a nervous breakdance
Here it is a year later and I was right.

I was very happy to see yesterday that Turkish author Orhan Pamuk was named the Nobel Laureate in Literature. Being embroiled in his own legal troubles with the Turkish government probably helped push him over the top this year, but the bottom line is he's a great writer.
I think I will have to read Snow. I've heard only good things about it. At least this time the prize went to an author whose books are actually available in stores.

The Swedish Academy always reject the "accusations" that politics has anything to do with who they pick. But as you said, his political fight and possibly the fact that he's a secular and democracy loving muslim, might have influenced individual Academy members to consider him.