ICONS: Mojo Magazine lists the 100 greatest music stars of all time!

Tools    

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by Aniko
I think they had one too many martini's when they complied the list. I really don't get some of the choice's and the placement of other's, and excluding others. Missy Eliot is before James Brown? Egad! And where's Donna Summer? She was the original 'Hot Stuff'. Where's George Benson? Where's Duke Ellington and Glenn Miller? Heck...Where's my martini?
No one was excluded. They just didn't get enough votes. And who's George Benson? Maybe he's on spot 101.

As far as icon status...for me an icon either stands the test of time, or is so popular that everyone knows who they are. Some people on that list I have no clue who they are. And as far as Britney goes...as much as I can't stand her, you can't deny she's made an impact the same way Madonna did.
Thank you.

Is that enough Piddy?
That'll do just fine, yes.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Okay, so I'm bored.... I tried to think of 50 other icons not on the list, and here's what I came up with (some have been mentioned here before):

John Bonham
Glenn Danzig
Chet Baker
Miles Davis
Billie Holiday
Trent Reznor
Leadbelly
Marianne Faithfull
G.G. Allin
Chuck D
Flavor Flav
LL Cool J
Afrika Bambaataa
Van Morrison
Beck
Glenn Miller
Duke Ellington
Ella Fitzgerald
Nina Simone
Charlie Parker
Cliff Burton
Dave Gahan
Curtis Mayfield
Notorious B.I.G.
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Diana Ross
Lee Perry
Gene Simmons
Paul Stanley
Ace Frehley
Peter Criss
Jerry Lee Lewis
Jennifer Lopez
Little Richard
Tom Jones
Billy Idol
George Clinton
Flea
Townes van Zandt
Aaliyah
The Edge
Ritchie Blackmore
Dr Dre
Timbaland
Phil Spector
Zack De La Rocha
Tony Iommi
Eva Cassidy
Louis Armstrong
Barry White

Official Sacrifice to Holden Pike
After looking at your list, it has convinced me even further of how much the original list is screwy. Stevie Ray Vaughn, Van Morrison, Beck, Louis Armstrong, Dr. Dre, Trent Reznor? Yes. Yes! YES!

And this is my BOOMstick!
Britney, 50 cent? That list is bullcrap. I hate MTV.

Official Sacrifice to Holden Pike
Originally Posted by Nitzer
I hate MTV.
It's not---
Oh. Nevermind.

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by Piddzilla
No one was excluded. They just didn't get enough votes. And who's George Benson? Maybe he's on spot 101.

Thank you.
George Benson is a jazz musician (guitar) who is well respected (played with many big names) and had recorded jazz instrumentals in his early career. His album, "Breezin'" in 1976, had him singing for the first time (I think) showing he had a wonderful voice and had a monster song on the album, This Masquerade. It's a nice fusion of jazz, pop and soul. His popular time was late '70's early '80's with other huge songs such as On Broadway, Love Ballad, and Unchained Melody. He released a greatest hits CD earlier this year.

You're very welcome.

By the way, Peter...you made great list.

Originally Posted by Nitzer
I hate MTV.
It's not MTV...read the first post...it's the british music magazine Mojo.

No f***ing Zappa?

P.S. - The way some of you are fighting to prove that Britney Spears isn't an icon, in a way, only goes further to prove what an icon she actually is. It's the sad truth, I'm afraid.

And this is my BOOMstick!
It's not MTV
I know it's not MTV and i DON'T CARE. It' because of MTV that those excuses for an artists even have a place on the list whereas hundreds of good artists and bands don't.

George Benson is a jazz musician (guitar) who is well respected (played with many big names) and had recorded jazz instrumentals in his early career. His album, "Breezin'" in 1976, had him singing for the first time (I think) showing he had a wonderful voice and had a monster song on the album, This Masquerade. It's a nice fusion of jazz, pop and soul. His popular time was late '70's early '80's with other huge songs such as On Broadway, Love Ballad, and Unchained Melody. He released a greatest hits CD earlier this year.
Hmmm... That reminds me of another jazz guitarist not on the list but absolutely a legend, at least in the guitar world. The parisian gyspy Django Reinhardt burned his left hand really bad and could only use three fingers on it, which may be one of the reasons to his unique style that influences guitarists still to this day. Maybe the reason to why he isn't on the list is that his first name would cause more commotion in this thread than Britney.

Originally Posted by Garrett
No f***ing Zappa?
That is a very good observation. I can't believe I didn't think of Zappa myself when making that other list of mine. But apparently I'm not the only one who forgot him...

Bruce Campbell Groupie
My two personal Icons would have to be David Bowie and Trent Reznor, I literally worship them.

history *is* moralizing
Originally Posted by Piddzilla
I think you're misunderstanding things if you view this list as a talent or musical influence competition (even if I do think Britney has influenced the business more than many are prepared to admit). And I do think at least a certain amount of fame is necessary for an artist to end up on the list.
i don't "view this list as". i thought we were talking.... music and stuff, talent, influence, celebrity... i don't expect, since childhood, to find a list any public place that would correspond to my tastes.

my list is
Tuxedomoon, there's NO greater and more influential American band than they.
Throwing Muses
Cocteau Twins
Wolfgang Press
Pixies
that for the *historical* bands that influenced each like 200 later bands

and more recent ones,
Radiohead
Catpower
Shannonwright
i still don't know the degree of influence they'll have.

now i know Hendrix and Pink Floyd will always be more famous. at least these ones deserve it, unlike Elton Jones and Phil Collins...

Originally Posted by chicagofrog
i don't "view this list as". i thought we were talking.... music and stuff, talent, influence, celebrity... i don't expect, since childhood, to find a list any public place that would correspond to my tastes.

my list is
Tuxedomoon, there's NO greater and more influential American band than they.
Throwing Muses
Cocteau Twins
Wolfgang Press
Pixies
that for the *historical* bands that influenced each like 200 later bands

and more recent ones,
Radiohead
Catpower
Shannonwright
i still don't know the degree of influence they'll have.

now i know Hendrix and Pink Floyd will always be more famous. at least these ones deserve it, unlike Elton Jones and Phil Collins...
Well, both Frank Black and Thom Yorke were on the list... And you should listen to Elton Jones' (?) '70s production.