Comic Book: Ripclaw Special (inking project)

Tools    

As delightful and fun as TRHPS is don't let yerself be sidetracked yin. Th . . . . ink only about the task in hand my friend, keep thinkink

p.s. Rip is still coming along nicely

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
thinkink.
BRILLIANT!!!!

lol. Thanks for keeping tabs

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Awwwwwww, sorry but I don't really like it now ..... it just looks too busy and cluttered
Just kidding yin, looks great! No idea how you have the patience to do some of the detail

Awwwwwww, sorry but I don't really like it now ..... it just looks too busy and cluttered
Just kidding yin, looks great! No idea how you have the patience to do some of the detail
Honestly appreciate the nudging. Helps the motivation. Drawing was always my first passion, I guess. Years before I discovered music, which took over. I don't get to do it much anymore as it's always been kind of cumbersome to dedicate to (material and convenience). It's just easier to grab a guitar and noodle around on the couch.

This laptop seems to have changed all that. I have never used a stylus before so I really was not expecting much, but this thing works pretty damn good, IMO. At least better than I expected so that's been a bonus. I catch myself sitting at my desk sketching for 30 minute pops while Mad Men runs on the T.V. I believe you would call it a telly? lol. But yeah, it's been great fun. BTW, we don't say great fun round these here parts. I picked that up from some Aussie. That and bee's-knees, and spot-on. Oh, and crikey. Must not forget crikey!

As to the details, eh. Lines are crap, but I'm dismissing that to being out of practice (for years) and to learning the ins and outs of new tech. As you said earlier, it's just a ooooh what was it, "posh tracing?" lol. Pretty much. Dude already drew it out, so I'm just tracing his lines and filling in the gaps as I see them. I kinda feel like this one sheet shouldn't take more than 8 hours, maybe 4-5 with experience. I'm looking at probably 12 total. Now if I could freehand this from scratch, THAT would be something!

I'm mostly just dumbfounded by how much I've done on it. I've stayed up several nights to around 2AM because I can't let it go. That's a good feeling, and a rare one since entering adult life decades back. Most things hit me hard then fade just as fast. So far so good on that front. Maybe another 3-4 hours and it's done!

Anhoo, I know you didn't ask for all that. Mostly I just wanted to say thanks for the bumps and commentary. It's not necessary at all, but comments from you and Steel have been most encouraging.

Honestly appreciate the nudging. Helps the motivation. Drawing was always my first passion, I guess. Years before I discovered music, which took over. I don't get to do it much anymore as it's always been kind of cumbersome to dedicate to (material and convenience). It's just easier to grab a guitar and noodle around on the couch.

This laptop seems to have changed all that. I have never used a stylus before so I really was not expecting much, but this thing works pretty damn good, IMO. At least better than I expected so that's been a bonus. I catch myself sitting at my desk sketching for 30 minute pops while Mad Men runs on the T.V. I believe you would call it a telly? lol. But yeah, it's been great fun. BTW, we don't say great fun round these here parts. I picked that up from some Aussie. That and bee's-knees, and spot-on. Oh, and crikey. Must not forget crikey!

As to the details, eh. Lines are crap, but I'm dismissing that to being out of practice (for years) and to learning the ins and outs of new tech. As you said earlier, it's just a ooooh what was it, "posh tracing?" lol. Pretty much. Dude already drew it out, so I'm just tracing his lines and filling in the gaps as I see them. I kinda feel like this one sheet shouldn't take more than 8 hours, maybe 4-5 with experience. I'm looking at probably 12 total. Now if I could freehand this from scratch, THAT would be something!

I'm mostly just dumbfounded by how much I've done on it. I've stayed up several nights to around 2AM because I can't let it go. That's a good feeling, and a rare one since entering adult life decades back. Most things hit me hard then fade just as fast. So far so good on that front. Maybe another 3-4 hours and it's done!

Anhoo, I know you didn't ask for all that. Mostly I just wanted to say thanks for the bumps and commentary. It's not necessary at all, but comments from you and Steel have been most encouraging.

Awwwww dude, could you not have added tl;dr "cheers" at the bottom to help save my poor eyesight
Glad you're having so much fun with it

p.s. We don't say 'telly' round these parts, we say 'magic box ' (has to have the at the end too)

DONE!
Kinda surprised I finished, if I'm honest. I may try to color it next. Not sure.

Well done Master Yin, good work!!!! Hope to see plenty of ecru if you do colour it.
If not then how about freehanding him petting a goat in profile next??

I'm afraid your goat petting fetish will have to be put on hold ;P

I've started coloring! Because I'm using Photoshop (the free app, GIMP, should provide the same features btw), I've set up layers for each major shape in the drawing to fill with a flat color. Technically, I'm not filling. Instead, I'm using the brush tool to color in between the lines as if I'm in a coloring book.

I can be a little loose with this by placing the "ink" layer on top of the layers panel list. Any color bleeds will mostly be hidden by the black lines. Once the flat shapes have.. .well… shape, I can CTRL + Click the layer icons to make a selection effectively masking out everything but the element I want to detail. Here's the shapes without the black ink lines that would normally hide the edges. Each color shape here is a different layer that can be selected independent of everything else for highlights and shadows.

Also, I don't mean holding goats.

I've been busy this afternoon I guess. I'm maybe 50% done coloring. Using the earlier image in which each flat color element is on a different layer, I can then select just that shape and use a brush to paint on highlights or shadows and such. In this case, I was able to select just a glove and paint it without worry for spillover. Same for the chest, hair, and every other element. I haven't touched the face or claws yet. Maybe tomorrow or the weekend.

Blooming 'eck Yin, that's some colouring spurt you've put on there and I likes what you have done. Especially love the way it bleeds a little outside the image boundaries - proper looking that is

Appreciate the technical 'how to' speak - got to admit personally you lost me right after "I've started colouring!" but I'm sure it will make perfect sense to the resident 'Munk without junk'

BOOM. So I'm not sleeping much this week due to this little project of mine. Case in point: It's now 1:00AM and it was only 10:00PM not 20 minutes ago =\

Ah well.

Right now I have 5 claws remaining to color. After that I'll go over it all to clean up random lines and trash and maybe detail a few spots a bit more. I expect two more posts after tonight, then I'll close the thread. This turned into more of a blog run than I wanted. Sorry for the off-topic bandwidth drain, but most of the point was just to obligate myself hoping it would motivate me to finish it as so many pet projects are left open with me. I shouldn't count my baskets for they hatchet (or whatever the phrase is), cuz I'm still not done.

Also, Chyperooni. Totally dig the "Aaaargghhhhpril" tag. Pure genius, your monthly spins. I imagine if you and I had a real conversation, the point would get so buried under one reference tangent to another until, by pure luck days later, we find our way back to whatever topic started the journey, like type-writing monkeys quoting Shakespeare.

Whatever. Two more updates and we'll be done.

BOOM. So I'm not sleeping much this week due to this little project of mine. Case in point: It's now 1:00AM and it was only 10:00PM not 20 minutes ago =\

Ah well.
Tempus fugit

Right now I have 5 claws remaining to color. After that I'll go over it all to clean up random lines and trash and maybe detail a few spots a bit more. I expect two more posts after tonight, then I'll close the thread. This turned into more of a blog run than I wanted. Sorry for the off-topic bandwidth drain, but most of the point was just to obligate myself hoping it would motivate me to finish it as so many pet projects are left open with me. I shouldn't count my baskets for they hatchet (or whatever the phrase is), cuz I'm still not done.
For what it's worth I've appreciated the blog aspect - brought the wife up to date with the thread last night and she was like "Oooooh, I'm learning GIMP at the moment and layering is literally the next bit I have to get to grips with!".

I magnanimously told her that if she had any questions to just ask Mister Google as you are far too busy

Also, Chyperooni. I imagine if you and I had a real conversation, the point would get so buried under one reference tangent to another until, by pure luck days later, we find our way back to whatever topic started the journey, like type-writing monkeys quoting Shakespeare.
Not the first time I've been likened to a monkey and very much doubt it will be the last

I think to most casual observers any convo between the two of us would probably be like trying to understand a message from an Enigma machine without access to the daily code

Whatever. Two more updates and we'll be done.
Looking forward to both seeing the end result and you getting your life back

Alright alright alright!

I do believe I'm done. There's some cleanup that I could work on but battery is around 10% so ima call it. Time? 10:07, Doctor! Good. Very good.

Final post.