The Top 10 Films of All Time

Tools    

10 Seven, 1995 (Director: David Fincher)
"A haunting and thrilling masterpiece marveled by it's beautiful direction, superb acting, and very intelligent script. The best serial killer movie ever."
- Cedric M. Grant movieforums.com

9. (Tie) Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho, 1960
"The most terrifying psychological thriller ever made; a masterpiece from the geniune an all time film master."

9. (Tie) The Usual Suspects, 1995 (Director: Bryan Singer)
" The most shocking mystery ending ever written. A graceful, energetic, hypnotic, and clever film, that provides more corosive dialogue and first class acting, than most films of it's class."

8. Traffic, 2000 (Director: Steve Soderbergh)
" The most vivacious and courageous political assault assembled since Hiroshima."

7. As Good As It Gets, 1997 (Director
"The funniest dialogue ever brought to the screen. A brilliantly acted and hugely funny film with more wit than Albert Einstein. The best comedy of all time."

6. LA Confidential, 1997 (Director: Curtis Hanson)
"A dazzilying spectacle, a one of a kind mystery. This film contains more style and more substance than most movies combined. This IS the all-time best cop movie ever made."

5. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, 2000 (Director: Ang Lee)
"A gorgeous escapade of love, loyalty, and honor. Action packed, wildly imaginative, superbly acted, and vividly directed, it towers over any martial arts film to date. This is what classic movies are all about."

4. The Matrix, 1999 (Director: The Wachowski Bros.)
"A mesmirizing epic with explosive action and exhillarating special effects. This is probably the most revolutionary and influential pics of all-time behind Pulp Fiction."

3. The Exorcist, 1978 (Director: William Friedkin)
"The scariest movie ever made. So much more than just a horror. A beautiful psychological thriller, an emotional drama between mother and child, and a superb journey through fear with absolutely frightening results."

2. mag-nol'ia, 1999 (Director: PT Anderson)
"The most dynamic drama ever made. This script deserves a thousand Oscars, ten thousand golden globes. It is by far the most enthralling, captivating, and emotional movie ever made. It's a marvelous masterpiece of original thought shaped into a beautiful memorial of pictorial proportions."

PS - To understand this film more read Exodus 8:2 (Bible)

1 Pulp Fiction, 1994 (Director: Quentin Tarantino)
"An electrifying, dazzilying, and explosive film. A one of a kind original. Quentin Tarantino has created movie brilliance for the ages. Ultimately, the all time movie ever made. And Samuel L. Jackson is a legend."

I can't believe there isn't a Top 10 List on Movie Forums yet. Oh well. Good choices, Cedric, but surprisingly recent. Since I am far more decrepit than you are, my TOP 10 list must necessarily be ancient history.

1/2. YOJIMBO and SEVEN SAMURAI. Practically equal in my eyes. Greatest foreign films ever made, should have got a hundred million Oscars, BAFTAS, Globes, Cannes Film thingies, whatever. Made by the late Akira Kurosawa. Also, if you watch his movie, THE HIDDEN FORTRESS, you will see exactly where STAR WARS came from. Also see: RAN, RASHOMON, THRONE OF BLOOD, IKIRU. Sub-titled.

3. CYRANO DE BERGERAC (Depardieu version). Lyrical and moving and infinitely sad plus the actress playing Roxanne is a hottie. Sub-titled.

4. TAMPOPO. A Japanese movie about the search for the perfect noodle recipe. Hilarious, plus you learn a lot about Japanese food culture and the relationship of sex & food. And a live turtle gets its head cut off in a meal preparation. Made by the late Juzo Itami, who killed himself by jumping off a building because of frenzied Japanese press coverage of an extramarital affair. Sub-titled.

5. ROB ROY. Hey, finally, a movie with no sub-titles! Just love the whole broadsword/rape & revenge/evil laird business. Love Liam Neeson, Tim Roth, John Hurt, worship Jessica Lange -- basically, this movie has a lot of my favorite actors.

6. ALL ABOUT EVE. Wittiest American screenplay ever written. Top notch actors, particularly Bette Davis, George Sanders, and Anne Baxter. Also marks Marilyn Monroe's first appearance in the movies.

7. THE MASK OF ZORRO (Banderas/Hopkins version). I just love this movie, don't care what anyone says. Zorro is just so cool: the flamenco-inspired soundtrack, the flaming Z in the opener, Hopkins' whip saving the peasants, Hopkins teaching Banderas what he has to do to be Zorro, Catherine Zeta Jones' undies, I could go on & on.

8. THE EXORCIST. (Ok, the Zorro description exhausted me.)

9. THE BOUNTY. Have always admired Captain Bligh; this well-made movie redeems him. This picture is also Surprisingly chock-full of great British actors, past & Present: Laurence Olivier, Anthony Hopkins (as Bligh, I thought it was almost as good a part as Lecter), Daniel Day Lewis, Liam Neeson. And of course, not Brit, but still good: Mel Gibson.

10. LA CONFIDENTIAL/SILENCE OF THE LAMBS. Couldn't choose and didn't want to leave either one out.

Bubbling beneath the surface, in no particular order:
MY FAVORITE YEAR. "I am not an actor," yells Peter O'Toole, hilariously. "I am a MOVIE STAR!"
QUIZ SHOW, REMAINS OF THE DAY, TITUS, TOUS LES MATINS DU MONDE (All the Mornings of the World, with Depardieu as a 17th century court cellist), ON THE WATERFRONT, HERCULES (the witty Disney version).

Here ya go...keep in mind that these are not totally in order, but these are my ten favorite, roughly jumbled. I left "Rope" out, because I think some of the main characters over-acted a bit too often.

[red]Number Ten:[/red] The Matrix. There's no way around it, this is a modern-day Sci-Fi classic. Keep your "2001" - Sci-Fi is better a tad more fast-paced, most of the time.

[red]Number Nine:[/red] Babe. Yup, the movie about the pig. Should have won best picture. Very clever, and pretty funny, too.

[red]Number Eight:[/red] Silence of the Lambs. I don't think I need to say too much about them. The title alone is very, very good.

[red]Number Seven:[/red] Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. I saw this one in the theatres three times, and I wouldn't mind seeing it again. I've never seen a movie three times in the theatre before.

[red]Number Six:[/red] The Lord of the Rings. Alright, this is cheating on my part, but I find it very, very likely that this will be right here on my list when it's released.

[red]Number Five:[/red] Rounders. The kind of movie I see the beginning of, and have difficulty walking away from the rest of the time.

[red]Number Four:[/red] It's A Wonderful Life. "And why do we have to have all these kids, anyway?" The part where he fully realizes his financial ruin and clutches his children's heads is absolutely heartbreaking.

[red]Number Three:[/red] The Apostle. About the third or fourth time I saw this, it dawned on me..."Ohhhh! Robert Duvall isn't really Sunny! He's ACTING!" - I'm dead serious.

[red]Number Two:[/red] Unbreakable. Yeah, I'm gonna catch some heat for this, but I think this movie has the best Cinematogrophy I've ever seen. The subtle hints here and there make for interesting post-movie discussion, as well.

[red]Number One:[/red] Dial "M" For Murder. Best movie of all time, in my opinion. You see very little outside of the apartment, but it just doesn't matter. It is superbly acted, and the plot is obviously downright amazing.

Besides: how many movies present you with a villain so clever that you actually find yourself hoping his scheme goes as planned?

Mr Pigsnie has the best ten so far but Rob Roy? and Mask of Zorro? I'm guessing you're a swashbuckling fan! Then go and watch a few Errol Flynn films.

Commish and Cedric, you're choices are tosh, pure tosh!

It's so hard to pick 10 so instead I've chosen eleven.

The 10 Greatest Films of All Time (+1)

11. Pinocchio. The pinnacle of animation. A wonderful story of a wooden puppet desperate to become a real boy. Can you believe this was made in the 40s? The whale scene still scares me and I have never drunk beer as I am afraid I will grow donkey's ears. Beauty and the Beast and Toy Story come close but this is Disney at its best. "I've got no strings..."

10. Almost Famous. The best film of this year. I wondered whether or not I should put it on my list simply because it is so recent, but I couldn't leave it out. Cameron Crowe's film is so lovely, it's huggable. Every character will stay with you forever. Went to see it twice in the cinema and I am desperate to get the DVD. "Hold me closer, Tiny Dancer..."

9. Babe. Yep, the one about the pig. If you didn't get goosebumps at the end, then you are not human. "That'll do pig. That'll do."

8. Life is Beautiful. The first foreign language film that I saw and it's still my favourite. A parable on how all father's should treat their child. "Bonjourno principessa"

7. The King of Comedy. Not one of Scorsese's more revered works, but it's his most underrated. De Niro stars as a nobody desperate for fame. He's scary only because he's so real. The scene where he stands in front of the cardboard audience and does his stand-up routine is strangely eerie. "Better to be king for a night than a schmuck for a lifetime."

6. The Graduate. A defining film for any person unsure where their life is headed. Hoffman is great. Bancroft is Mrs Robinson. And that ending has become a classic even if it's not altogether a happy one. "Mrs Robinson, are you trying to seduce me?"

5. Shawshank Redemption. Why is is that so many people have grown to love this even after it failed initially at the Box Office? Is it just because of the ending? I don't think so. Darabont's direction is so patient, so underwhelming. It's fabulous. And the performance of the two leads is mesmerising. Nearly the best film of the 90s. "Get busy living, or get busy dying"

4. The Godfather. Nothing to say about this only that it's "supoib". "I believe in America..."

3. Raging Bull. Scorsese at his very best. The fighting scenes alone are the best ever, but its the scene where La Motta punches the wall that is the most disheartening. WOW! "You couldn't knock me out"

2. Casablanca. I've seen a lot of the classics. Some don't stand up as well today but this one does. Sheer class in every department. "Our problems don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world"

1. City Slickers. It's a personal choice, but no film has ever connected with me as much as this one. I've watched this film more than any other and I guess that's the key to victory. A comedy with some dramatic elements. Crystal, Stern and Kirby were never better. And Palance was iconic. It's wonderful. "What was your worst day? Same day"

Yeah, I forgot about BABE, that was a mighty excellent movie. That should be in my Top 15. Well, if you can have your CITY SLICKERS, Big, I can have my ROB ROY, hee hee. And yes, I do love swashbucklers -- should've also mentioned Errol Flynn's THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD and THE SPANISH MAIN with Paul Henreid. Henreid made kind of a short pirate but Maureen O'Hara fell in love with him anyway.
[Edited by Pigsnie on 04-04-2001]

MovieForums Extra
This is a hard one...I'm actually surprised that no one thought about that, though we might have had something similar

Let's see, here's my list, more or less in order...Although there are many many movies I had to leave out, these stand out to me as being contenders for the top 10 of all time:

Number 10:Amadeus - A great movie by Milos Forman, portrayed Mozart as an eccentric genius Who could ever forget that laugh?!

Number 9:La Vita e Bella - One of the best Italian and foreign language films I've ever seen, Roberto Benigni is definitely a very talented actor from the "old school".

Number 8:A Clockwork Orange - A dark and disturbing film which won several Oscars, but which was so controversial that it was banned in the US and around the world (at the time).

Number 7:American Beauty - Very inspirational movie, and even though it's a newby compared to most of the others, it still deserves a place in the Top 10 list of all time.

Number 6:Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho - Indeed one of the most terrifying psychological thrillers ever, it's influence can still be seen in today's horror flicks. "Mother! Oh God, Mother! Blood! Blood!"

Number 5:2001: A Space Odyssey - For me, this one remains one of the greatest Sci-Fi movies ever made. No comment !

Number 4:Rain Man - A great drama with a very memorable performance by Dustin Hoffman (the one which I usually remember him by), it swept the Oscars winning a total of 5 including Best Picture...what more can I say?!

Number 3:One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest - Another Forman flick, anyone who disagrees with me on this one hasn't seen the movie !!

Number 2:Scilence of the Lambs (or Shut Up Sheep as it is jokingly referred to in certain circles) - Definitely one of the greatest thrillers ever, with a sequel that is just as good.

Number 1:The Godfather (bet you saw that coming!) - Without a shadow of a doubt, the greatest movie ever made in the history of cinematography! One critic described it as "The embodiment of perfection". Need I say more?

The Shawshank Redemption! How could I forget? I am such a fool. Replace the upcoming Lord of the Rings movie with Shawshank, and stick "The Green Mile" and "Breaveheart" in there, tied for slots 8 and 9, or something.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
10: Titanic
9: The Matrix
8: Braveheart
7: American Beauty
6: Ravenous
5: L.A. CONFIDENTIAL
4: American History X
3: Gladiator
2: Pulp Fiction
1: The Shawshank Redemtion

I can pretend that things last.
Hi guys,

Well this is an interesting post. I like seeing lot of people having different top 10's.Very Nice.

Well here are my top ten in NO order.
  • Duck Soup. The MArx Brothers are BRILLIANT.No doubt.I love them and their gags.This movie is a must for all ages.A CLASSIC.But other Marx Brothers film can also fit here. This is their BEST.
  • Taxi Driver. "You Talking to me?" .WOW. This film is disturbing and powerful.Robert DeNiro is fantastic.
  • Gone With The Wind. I cant leave this out. What else can I say?
  • Ninotchka.Well,Greta Garbo is one of my favourite actress.The film has a superb dialogue and the humour is very good.
  • The Shawshank Redemption.Prison Drama with Superb all round perfomances.
  • Star Wars. This is my toy always.I guessed i must've seen it 100+ times!!!
  • Life is Beautiful. A TRIUMPH for human spirit.
  • Full Metal Jacket. Great war movie especially the boot camp scenes consisting of colourful profanity.
  • Gandhi. A movie of a life of a great leader.It made me emotional.Since he was part of our country and APOSTLE of world peace,this movie is not to be ignored whatever country u may be.
  • Chariots of Fire. A Sports movie.Superb.

Actually the list is endless.I like all types of movies.But mostly good quality ones.Well heard of ones.

Cheers
Aditya

Originally posted by OG-
10: Titanic
9: The Matrix
8: Braveheart
7: American Beauty
6: Ravenous
5: L.A. CONFIDENTIAL
4: American History X
3: Gladiator
2: Pulp Fiction
1: The Shawshank Redemtion
No Starship Troopers?

10.The Great Escape
9.Jaws
8.Rear Window
7.Back To the Future
6.Pulp Fiction
5.Modern Times
4.Raiders of the Lost Ark
3.The Shawshank Redemption
2.Dr. Strangelove
1.Star Wars
[Edited by Rodney on 04-19-2001]

I'm not sure if I have seen STARSHIP TROOPERS. Is that the movie with the giant alien locusts whose leader is this huge squashy larva type blob with a mouth like a .. er, pudenda? I only seem to remember that part, snortle.

MovieForums Extra
There are more than ten movies that can be placed in the list, but because of space constraints, lots had to be left out. For example, Taxi Driver is a fabulous movie, as well as Shawshank Redemption, Godfather II (which is a great sequel), The Green Mile...etc.

I'll make a poll about this when Chris upgrades the forum with better Poll support...

The ten best films are:

10.The Matrix

9.Mo better blues

8.Unbreakable

7.Full Metal Jacket

6.Desperado

5.Minnesota

4.Pulp Fiction

3.Deep Cover

2.Snatch

1.Malcom X

No doubt, these are the greatest films of all time!

Thanks TWTCommish!

10. American Beauty
9. L.A. Confidential
8. The Silence of the Lambs
7. A Clockwork Orange
6. Dr. Strangelove
5. The Shawshank Redemption
4. Chinatown
3. Taxi Driver
2. The Godfather
1. The Crucible

Honorable mentions include North by Northwest, Vertigo, Citizen Kane, Lawrence of Arabia, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Godfather Part II, Inherit the Wind (Stanley Kramer version), Hamlet (Olivier version), The Shining, Goodfellas, The Usual Suspects, Blade Runner, Seven, Fight Club, American History X, Rounders, Braveheart, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Amadeus, Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, The Maltese Falcon, Akira, Pi, Alien, Aliens, Die Hard trilogy, Indiana Jones trilogy, Star Wars trilogy, Monty Python trilogy, Star Trek II: Wrath of Kahn, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, Deliverance, Lolita (1962), Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World, What's Up Doc?, Real Genius, The Breakfast Club, Maverick, Unforgiven, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Sneakers, Almost Famous, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Carrie, The Exorcist, Evil Dead 2, Army of Darkness, Howards End, The Remains of the Day, Psycho, Batman (1989), Ghostbusters, Strange Brew, Help!, A Hard Day's Night, and Yellow Submarine.
[Edited by Arthur Dent on 04-26-2001]

10. Raiders of the Lost Ark
9. Forrest Gump
8. Gone with the Wind
7. Rear Window
6. Shakespeare in Love
5. American Beauty
4. Scent of a Woman
3. Matrix
2. It happened one night
1. The Usual Suspects

Heres my list of American ones:

Citizen Kane - Orson Welles

Singin' in the Rain - don't know the director

2001: A Space Odyssey - Kubrick

Casablanca - Michael Curtiz

The Godfather - Francis Ford Coppola

McCabe & Mrs. Miller - Robert Altman

Do the Right Thing - Spike Lee

The Night of the Hunter - Charles Laughton

Rear Window - Alfred Hitchcock

Raging Bull - Martin Scorsese

Most of those are pretty standard choices, I suppose. I guess I like old movies alot, I dunno. I'm going to cheat as well, and say that HOOP DREAMS is the greatest documentary ever made, therefore set apart from fictional films. Theres lots of runners up to that list, which I'll post later.

I think I'm also going to post my foreign film list later.