The Top 10 Films of All Time

Tools    

Where did my post go!!!!!!!!!!! Damn all of this $hyte. That is messed up TWT!!!! I'm gone.

And the Golden Globes and the Academy Awards are not the last word on what is good and not nor is AFI. I mean really now does West Side Story deserve to be in the top 100 or did Dances With Wolves even deserve to be named best picture. They know $hyte about movies.

F!@$ all of this $hyte im out of this F(&$ up'd $hyte hole.

The only thing that's messed up is what you said, and the fact that you have the self-control of a toddler. When you're ready to be more respectable towards others, you'll be welcome here. Until then, you can leave, because that kind of junk is not welcome at this site. To be frank, if that's the ONLY way you're capable of acting, then you're not wanted. If you decide to show some manners, feel free to come back. Bye.

Oh, and by the way: I think those academies know more about movies than you do...but I'm not surprised at your words. You're what, 16? And you're telling these organizations full of people who have seem more movies than you've even had time to in their lives, that they don't know anything? Sounds like a rebellious "take on the world" teenage thing to me.

TWT, maybe you should have edited it rather than zapped it altogether. From what I recall, I think he was responding to another poster and he can express that he does not believe in AFI's or whatever's list . . .

Zwee provided "personality" for want of a better word . . . that's why I keep returning to this site . . . I like the clever and wise-cracking dialogue. I think classicists refer to it as Attic wit. Although Zwee was more of a homicidal bent . . . I liked him too.

OK i couldn't stay away becaus I knew Chris would say somethin that would make him sound more intelligent than he really is. If it make you feel better to categorize me than go for it, but you obviously have no idea who i am. Steve and OG can tell you that you stuck up, "Your 16 right?", home-schooled, closed-minded, republican.

What would have happened if Martin Luther King Jr. didn't think that he knew more than "the white man". Is that what your saying. That we should all just go with everyone else. Well if you choose to you can be a conformist, but not me because unlike you I have a mind of my own.

But like I said im not rebelious in any way.

HEY I think TWT just insulted toddlers, how DARE you sir? I ought to kick your little bottom, teehee. And I agree, Zwee has Attic wit altho you know, our attic really isnt all that clean, hahaha.

Dont go Zweee, Steve is movin to Texas already, what shall I do? where shall I go? Urp!!!

Oh yeah, Zwee, that's what I'm saying: give into "the man" and don't fight the power. What are you, a drama queen? Chill out. What I'm saying is that you sure don't mind talking some serious crap about people who've seen more, and probably know more, about movies than you do. I can't believe you, a 16 year old who likes to insult people and make tasteless jokes about God and murder, have actually gone as far as to compare yourself to someone like Martin Luther King Jr.

Think you know more? That's a far cry from what you said, IMO. Your basic philosophy was: I'm right, kill yourself if you think differently, and all these people who are older than I am, and were watching movies before I was born, don't know crap.

Stuck up? How can I be the stuckup one when you're the one insulting anyone who disagrees with you, refuses to fall basic rules of courtesy, and talks crap about people more experienced than you, implying that they're idiots?

Hey, I'm 17. But then again, I don't talk the crap you do, because I'd be a fool too. It's funny that you accused me of not knowing who you were, and labeling you, and then you turn around and do the same two things. Pretty hypocritical.

And yes, I'm a robot without a mind of my own. I'm just waiting for someone to free me. Uh-huh. I guess that's why I'm not going to college, even though everyone says I should. But no, I'm still a conformist, right? As you so plainly put it: "you don't know who I am."

Wart: you have a point, but I do not regret my decision. I don't know if he went more than a sentence without saything something at least partially out of line.

Now With Moveable Parts
Now I'm curious.Obviously it was directed towards me.Oh well...if you can't creatively post and have to say things that get deleted to make a point,then they're better off removed.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Zweeedorf

And the Golden Globes and the Academy Awards are not the last word on what is good and not nor is AFI. I mean really now does West Side Story deserve to be in the top 100 or did Dances With Wolves even deserve to be named best picture. They know $hyte about movies.
I don't always agree with the Academy's selections,that's why I put other award ceremonies down as well.Clearly not ALL institutions are idiots about movies,you'd be very close-minded to think YOU are the only one with any sense about movies.The SAG awards is the acting community themselves giving each other awards of excellence;surely you can't discredit that.Braveheart and American Beauty are the only two movies I get passionate about,so I apologize if this debate has been a big,whopping bore to some of you.Zwee,dude,come back when you can discuss movies like an adult.I'm open to opinion and I for one,missed the deleted post so you failed at delivering a point and I'm still here...THE LAST WORD...Ha!

These are, by no means, in any order. I wouldn't say that they are, either, the top 10 best of all time, although they are 10 of my favorite.

"Smoke" (1995) Wayne Wang. Crafty, Altman-style plot weaving, punctuated by fine performances from William Hurt, Harvey Keitel, Forest Whitaker, et al. It's sequel, "Blue in the Face", is entertaining but pales in comparison to its predecessor. I love the cameos from Jim Jarmusch and Lou Reed.

"Reservoir Dogs" (1992) Quentin Tarantino. In-your face, blackly comedic crime drama. Shocking violence you can't turn away from.

"Do the Right Thing" (1989) Spike Lee. Racially and politically tense drama, sprinkled with fresh humor. Standout performances from Danny Aiello and Ossie Davis. Samuel L. Jackson holds the movie seamlessly together as the local dj.

"Barton Fink" (1991) Joel and Ethan Coen. Multilayered murder mystery centering around a disillusioned old-hollywood writer. Exquisitely filled with symbolism, hidden meanings and plot twists.

"The Cement Garden" (1993) Andrew Birkin. Disturbing and surprisingly humorous account of a VERY dysfunctional family. Shockingly believable performances.

"Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown" (1988) Pedro Almodovar. Madcap, estrogen-driven comedy from Spain. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned!

"Citizen Kane" (1941) Orson Welles' timeless monument to filmmaking. This one makes my list on sheer aesthetic merit.

"Harold and Maude" (1971) Hal Ashby. Classic, black comedy about love, life and death. This film ought to be experienced at least once.

"One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" (1975) Milos Forman. Brilliantly acted, thought-provoking, poignant story of human nature and class struggle. Ken Kesey's book is by far superior, but the film in itself is a modern masterpiece.

"Orlando" (1992 ) Sally Potter. Glorious, visually stunning adaptation of Virginia Woolf's classic yarn of gender and immortality. Tilda Swinton is flawless in her portrayal of the similarities between women and men.

It was SUPER TOUGH to cut the list to 10.
You get me slapped with a fine, you argue with the customers and I have to patch everything up, you get us thrown out of a funeral by violating the corpse, and then to top it off, you ruin my relationship. I mean, what's your encore? Do you, like, anally rape my mother while pouring sugar in my gas tank?

Mark knows as much about movies as anyone else on this board (except Holden, and ggfletch. maybe Pigsnie too ). I agree with him that the Academy, Golden Globes, Cannes, Screen Actors Guild, etc are in no way the final authority on movies. No one is. That's why it's fun to talk about them. There is no 'best', only what we favor. I think the problem with the Academy et al is there are too many variables involved. Movies that lose 50 Million dollars don't get nominated for best picture (Hello Almost Famous! Hello Wonder Boys!). Movies with good ad campaigns have better chances of getting nominated (Chocolat and The Green Mile come to mind). The academy is old... Most of the people in it are over 50. This excludes movies like Requiem for a Dream from being nominated for anything. There are more problems...

I think what Mark says isn't at all meant to be taken literally. He's just got a twisted sense of humor. But I know it does bother him that the site is run like a fascist regime sometimes. And it's not a matter of courtesy to him, it's a matter of principles. Let him say what he wants...if he curses or whatever edit it out, but otherwise just let him shoot his mouth off. Wart's right - it spices up the site. We can't all be carbon copies of each other, that'd be boring. It's much nicer to have some doses of humor thrown into the mix (however tasteless they may be, they're hilarious.).

YES I agree with Steve, Zweees not as bad as all that. I like reading his posts! Even Pigsnie thinks hes a good guy. Just the other day, he asked, Is your mate Zweeedorf still around? Funny bloke.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Steve N.
Mark knows as much about movies as anyone else on this board (except Holden, and ggfletch. maybe Pigsnie too ). I agree with him that the Academy, Golden Globes, Cannes, Screen Actors Guild, etc are in no way the final authority on movies. No one is. That's why it's fun to talk about them. There is no 'best', only what we favor.

You know what Steve N.? Some of you guys are the authority in taking things out of context. I,in no way,said that those organizations are THE last word.Of course not.I'm saying that discrediting EVERYTHING they do is freakin' retarded.What your saying is that it's okay for you and me and the people on this forum to make OUR top ten list,but whatever makes best picture at the award ceremonies is Bull****.I don't just take my opinions and make them facts...I like to support my choices with the opinions of others...i.e.the Academy.I can say,"Hey,I think Braveheart deserves a spot on the top 10 list,and so does the Academy."Just as you can say,"Blah,Blah,Blah..the Academy sucks." Mark needs to learn how to step off his soapbox and quit forcing his'screw the system'agenda,on the rest of us.Argue with some freakin' power once in awhile instead of always trying to hold the record for Best 'Attic Humor'.It gets old and people stop taking you seriously.

Steve: you're right when you say they are not the final authority, but that's not what Zwee said at all. He said they don't know crap, I believe. My point is that he sure is cocky about it when I'll bet some of them have MADE more movies than he's SEEN, for crying out loud.

What do you expect this site to be? A democracy? If you must know, Steve, Zwee said something along the lines of "How can God send me to hell when I killed him?" If you want to defend that, that's your right, but I think it was out of line, as are many of the things he says.

If he's joking, why doesn't he say so? Why doesn't he EVER break character? Where's the smilie face? I'm sure half the time he is just messing around, but just because you're joking, it doesn't always mean it's okay. No, I will not let him say what he wants and just blank it out. He's been warned several times.

I really don't see how my not wanting him to mock God and tell people to "F-ing kill themselves" when they don't agree with him means I'm being unfair, or that I want us all to be carbon copies of each other. That's one major exaggeration. And no, it's not ALL hilarious.

If he wants to defend his case, he can. I dunno about you, but I think I'm pretty damn lienent in a lot of these situations. I mean, his last post was full of completely 100% hypocritical bull, which I shot back at. If he does come back with anything, it sure won't be a logical argument, IMO.

So, go ahead, take whichever side you want, but let's keep things in perspective. Steve, you're not a carbon copy, and I don't tell you to stop what you do. PigsnieLite is as original as you can get, and I don't censor him. Please do not exaggerate and make it sound as if I'm some kind of tyrant who's on some power trip with everyone here, because all I'm doing is telling Zwee three simple things:

1) It's pretty damned arrogant to declare that all these experts who are much older and more experienced than you don't know crap.

2) Some things are just downright offensive. If you're joking, well, maybe you should make it more obvious, and even then, there IS a line of courtesy and taste. Zwee seems to have no line on taste.

3) If you're gonna try to come back at me with crap like he did, it'd better make some sense. If I were really a tyrant, do you think I'd let people like him, PLite, and Kevin insult me blatantly?

I've said it before, but I'll say it again now: maybe you don't realize it, but most forum owners tolerate much less crap than this. Unfortunately, there's a Zwee on every board...someone who whines and complains about a perceived lack of freedom, and just can't learn how to act their shoe size.

Originally posted by PigsnieLite
YES I agree with Steve, Zweees not as bad as all that. I like reading his posts! Even Pigsnie thinks hes a good guy. Just the other day, he asked, Is your mate Zweeedorf still around? Funny bloke.
Well, maybe you're not upset by it, but some people are. I don't really know how funny he is, or how nice he is...no do I care. I'm only concerned with his behavior on this forum, and even you, the friendly-to-everyone PLite (), cannot find justification for some of the things he says, and does.

And yes, Sades is correct: Zwee's whole gimmick is to be over the top and offensive to everyone. It's pretty weak when used in actual discussion, though, rather than in some Badger thread or something.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Zweeedorf
Where did my post go!!!!!!!!!!! Damn all of this $hyte. They know $hyte about movies!
Yeah,the Academy knows nothing...that's why it's THE most coveted award in the film industry...get over it.

Well since you deleted that last post before I could see it, I guess I wont ever know now how offensive Zweee really got.

And I dont like Everyone TWT! How dare you Sir! I oughta kick your little bottom. Humm, is there an echo in here? teehee. Anyhoo, I jest shut up & complain to the Cat. That way no one gets hurt. For now. Bewahahahahaha !!

Now With Moveable Parts
Sound like he told me to kill myself or something really mature like that...you should be proud of him PigsnieLite,takes real brains to be so witty.

Well, I told ya man: he said he killed God, so he couldn't send him to hell, and he told people who don't agree with him to kill themselves. He's said that kind of stuff before. And yeah, you do like everyone! 'Cept for Reagan, or me.

Now With Moveable Parts
Let's not give it anymore time than it deserves.You deleted it for a reason...let's not dignify it with commentary.That's just what he would want.

You guys are reading in to what Mark says too much. He likes black humor, so shoot him. I think that's funny, what he said about killing God or whatever, just becuase of how over the top it is. The whole point is to be cheeky. It's not meant to offend. It's meant to bring some light to these boards.