Politics Continued...

Tools    

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Originally posted by PigsnieLite
I know I shouldnt be here becuz my head might explode but Id just like to say I love you OG-!
Right back at ya, slick!

Why do you ASSUME Archie comes from Archibold? How do you know I am not named after the expeensive vegtable, the Archiechoke? Or that Pigsnie wanted me to be like the famous Greek writer Archiebiades? Hahaha

Archie-who? I wasn't assuming anything -- you started using "Archibold" -- is that even a name? Oh, by the way, Archibald stems from some German words meaning "genuinely bold." My oh my, how appropriate.

Michael, on the other hand, comes from the Hebrew name meaning "who is like God?" Hmmmm, not quite as appropriate.

Yeah yeah, whatever Archibald archibold, I just dont wanna be bald in 10 years, LOLL! And it figgers youd have a Lives of the Saints on your bedside table, I got one TOO!!!

Saint Archibald - teenage saint famous for his piety & stunnin good looks! Boiled to death in a distilery becuz the
famous evil vamp Thmilin wanted to take advantage of him & Archibald wouldnt let go of his underpants.

Originally posted by TWTCommish
Because the death penalty does not conflict with Christianity, Steve. Dunno what made you think it does. I guess a lot of people have this picture in their heads of Christians as completely docile people, eh? Far from it. God wants us to take charge when need be.
I'm a Christian and I just came from church. I didn't see any Kill Bin Laden signs anywhere. I saw Blood Drive signs tho. My God wants us to help our fellow man not kill him. I really hate when people kill in God's name. Man kills in man's name, for man's sake. I believe in the death penalty and I know it's wrong. I take responsibility for that. Some human beings should not be allowed to keep on living. I can't get over it. I try but I can't. Some people need to die.

I know God says it's ok to kill to save your life or in times of war. The death penalty is usually neither of those, it happens after the fact so it's not self preservation. And sometimes war criminals are given the death penalty, I guess that could be times of war. Bin Laden would be times of war, sort of, I guess. But God does not want us to take charge and kill whoever we want. That's a sin. The death penalty is a sin. Now I sound like a terrorist. America is evil and I know it. But like I say, I try, but I can't be one of those people who believes everyone should live. You should hear some of the heinous things people did to get on death row. I can't get past that.

P.s. 3/4 was my figure. I said it. O'Reilly is the Jerry Springer of the news media. How can you not know that??? Actually, Jerry is pretty cool. O'Reilly is a cross between Jerry and the National Enquirer.

I'm a Christian and I just came from church. I didn't see any Kill Bin Laden signs anywhere. I saw Blood Drive signs tho. My God wants us to help our fellow man not kill him. I really hate when people kill in God's name. Man kills in man's name, for man's sake. I believe in the death penalty and I know it's wrong. I take responsibility for that. Some human beings should not be allowed to keep on living. I can't get over it. I try but I can't. Some people need to die.
Well, I don't carry a sign around either, but if the subject comes up, I say what's on my mind: Bin Laden should die.

And no, we do not always kill for man's sake, but even if we did, it makes sense. Killing Bin Laden would be in the name of justice, something that, for me, stems from God.

I know God says it's ok to kill to save your life or in times of war. The death penalty is usually neither of those, it happens after the fact so it's not self preservation. And sometimes war criminals are given the death penalty, I guess that could be times of war. Bin Laden would be times of war, sort of, I guess. But God does not want us to take charge and kill whoever we want. That's a sin. The death penalty is a sin. Now I sound like a terrorist. America is evil and I know it. But like I say, I try, but I can't be one of those people who believes everyone should live. You should hear some of the heinous things people did to get on death row. I can't get past that.
America is not evil. America is the victim of evil, and a fighter against evil. America is a wonderful, beautiful, and above all, FREE country. We're not that bright, and we're overweight on the whole, and yet we're still wildly successfull...all because of freedom.

Here's something that really gets me: you're allowed to kill someone who's trying to kill you, but apparently it's bad to kill someone who actually DOES kill you. I don't really care if it's after the fact.

And no, the death penalty is not a sin, assuming you believe in The Bible, which you seem to. Not sure where you're getting that from. And yes, Bin Laden's actions can be taken as warlike...no doubt about it. And besides: the death penalty could very well be a deterrant...killing Bin Laden, and other criminals, could very well be an act of self-preservation. In the former's case, I think it most definitely is.

As for O'Reilly: my point is that your number is made up. And no, the things he says are not. His show is wildly successful, so I'm sure he has a fact-checker of sorts. I doubt his facts are wrong significantly more often than any other major talk show host. He's articulate and forceful, and his politics are solid and grounded in common sense most of the time.

I hear a vauge hatred of him from you, but I don't know what it is you hate about him really. Details, details.

. We're not that bright, and we're overweight on the whole, and yet we're still wildly successfull...all because of freedom.
I dont know why but I started laughin like nutsy when I read this TWT! You are a comedian after all.

On Sunfrog sayin America is evil, well I do think America tries not to be evil but half the time, they screw up & now, even more people hate them than ever before. Which is sad becuz I like hamburgers.
[Edited by TWTCommish on 09-20-2001]

Well, I've just not (as in over the last hour or so as I type this), learned a heckuva lot about how the economy works. Thus, I offer my delayed response to your post, Peter.

Now, first off, I think you've misunderstood me, though through NO fault of your own: when I say it's from the wrong perspective, I don't mean that there are many opionions and standpoints that need to be considered...I mean that there is a RIGHT way to look at this, and a WRONG way...and saying that the government having more money is a good thing is (most of the time) the WRONG way. If the government has a surplus/loads of cash, it means they've taxed us too much.

In respone to "why raise taxes? Why not cut programs" Cutting programs would have very strong side effects, much more so than raising taxes would. The US may temporairly gain some money, but it wouldn't last(where as in a tax raise, the money gained would be much higher). Also the cutting of programs would weaken the economy. The US pays for those programs so the economy does not have to. If the US didn't pay for police, fireman, or hospital workers, then the economy would have to, and thus the economy would be much weaker. Lets say you cut a program such as medicare. Again the economy grows weaker because thats more money it has to pay directly to the benegits that a program such as medicare provide. Not only would it weaken the economy, but cutting government funded programs would make it a less desireable place to live. Thus raising taxes is a much more logical step.
No! This is a basic economic principle: the government should not offer anything more than the basics. Here's why: the government will never spend your money as wisely as you could have. When the government taxes us to give us more social services, they're basically telling us we don't know how to use/spend our money, so they're going to take it and do the work for us.

The problem there is that all the politicans take their cut along the way...it goes through the political machine, and comes out considerably lighter in terms of actual cash...which is why we constantly pour more money into programs like social security, than we actually get out of them.

Cutting programs and giving the money back to the public is good for the economy. Raising taxes is almost never good for it. I recommend Henry Hazlett's "Economics in One Lesson." It explains quite clearly why the government can basically never spend money as well as the individual it takes it from. I can elaborate on this point a bit if you'd like.

Show me how Clinton actually hurt the US. Show how he was a bad president. Don't tell me he was a bad prez because he got some putang and it became public. I'm not concerned with that. That has nothing to do with the state of the US, that only has to do with his personal life. His doing what he did, did not hurt the US in anyway. If anything it strengthned it because it showed the US could deal with such scandals and still remain as strong as it did. I'm not saying I condone his lying under oath, it just has nothing to do with the general state of America. Show me how any bills he passed, any laws he passed, anything he did while in office actually hurt the US to a state lower than it was before. You won't think of much.
Hang on now. I never said Clinton was a bad President. Now, morally, he sickens me. In terms of honor, he is a complete disgrace to the office. I have no doubt he's engaged in many criminal activities, and knowingly lied/misled people constantly in an effort to cover his own lack of morals...

...HOWEVER, economically, I didn't say he was bad...but I'm hesitant to give him a whole lot of credit. To be honest, I'm not as concerned with Clinton's record as I am with Reagan's. Clinton was not bad for the economy...though he did make some mistakes. My real problem lies with Steve's ignorant comments about Clinton. Yes, ignorant. No offense to Steve, but I have serious doubts about his economic knowledge. I think he's shooting from the hip when insulting Reagan.

What you need to understand (everyone needs to understand this, actually) is that cutting taxes and giving the public a stable, healthy economy, will clear up any government problems. Reagan cut taxes, and also wanted to cut social spending, so that he could build up our military. Those on opposition stopped this from happening, and as such, social spending remained at it's current (at the time) level. What next? Well, Reagan's economy is cruising (due to his tax cut), and he says that we need a strong military, regardless of debt.

Now, let me ask you this: why do you assume Reagan put is into debt? If we're spending 1 trillion dollars a year on various things, and $200 billion of that is on the military, why is it Reagan's fault? Why not blame the people who refused to cut other programs? Doesn't seem to make sense to blame Reagan simply because his spending came after the others.

Reagan was completely right: a healthy economy, when simply left alone, will fix governmental debt. The military was improved, The Cold War was won, and the economy was kicking a**.

So, enter George Bush. Bush, having worked closely with Reagan, knew very well what was going on. The economy was growing, and as such, revenue was growing (it completely skyrocketed under Reagan, by the way). Now, if we were going to let all that extra governmental revenue pay off our debt, we had to make sure not to go spending all this new cash...we had to use it to pay off our creditors.

Bush had to compromise: he gave in and raised taxes, so that the other side would give in enough to put some spending caps in place. This was a necessary evil. Bush was naive for making a promise he could not keep, but his compromise was a good one. Once the spending caps were in place, all that extra tax revenue, that stemmed from the growing economy, was freed up to start paying down the debt. And despite popular belief (and a completely ignorant claim by Clinton), the recession under Bush Sr. was basically the smallest in American history...not the worst in the last 40 years, as Clinton stated.

Now, after this, Bush leaves office. Clinton wins, but before he is sworn in, he meets with Greenspan (I'm not making this up, BTW. This is not my "opinion" of the things that happened), Chairman of the Federal Reserve. At this time, Clinton has not taken office yet, but he's going to...he's won the election. People are vying for his attention and favor. A lot of Democrats want to increase government spending DRASTICALLY. Greenspan tells Clinton that the debt will completely take care of itself if spending is kept under control. Clinton, in what is a surprising decision to most, agrees with Greenspan.

Now, again, we have a compromise: Clinton compromises by raising taxes on the the wealthy. This doesn't have much effect, because there are very few wealthy people, and the economy and debt are kicking a** once again.

BUT, as the economy grows, and the deficiet is beat into the ground, we end up with more and more wealthy people, and his earlier tax hike effects more and more people. A lot of people are, all of a sudden, paying HALF of what they make to the government. People decide it's not worth all the trouble, and the economy starts to dip, which is why things took a turn for the worse shortly before Clinton left office.

It's also worth noting that Greenspan made a mistake when he saw the economy surging: he bought some bonds back, in an attempt to curb what he thought was inflation (it wasn't). Seeing as how that kind of economic growth had never really been seen before, it caused confusion, and he made a mistake. When coupled with Clinton's tax hike, which was now effecting many people who had become wealthy, we started to go downhill, which is where we are today.

Now, what can be gathered from all this? Several things:
  • Clinton was not bad for the economy. On the whole, he was good for the economy, but he made a mistake which we're now feeling some of the heat for.
  • Reagan certainly did not single-handedly send us plunging into debt. He built up our military and spurred major economic growth, which was CONTINUED thanks to a compromise made by both Bush and Clinton.

Thus, Reagan, economically, started a great trend, which Bush (having been his VP and all) picked up on and helped to continue, and which Greenspan/Clinton saw as a good idea...and so, they followed suit. Clinton needed convincing...which is why everyone thought he was going to go crazy on spending.
  • Greenspan did a great job in convincing Clinton to curb spending. Clinton was wise in listening to him. I don't know if he NEEDED to compromise with a tax hike for the wealthy, but it was a bad thing either way. At the very least, Clinton should have reacted when he saw that his earlier tax hike was now effecting many more people.
That's the long and short of it. If I did say Clinton was a bad President economically in the past, I was wrong, but I don't believe I did. I do believe he was a disgrace, and a stain (no pun intended) on his office, but economically, he listened to the right people and made several good choices, as well as some bad ones. On the whole, a GOOD economic President...

...but Reagan was better. Reagan did so much. Quite frankly, I'm in awe of Steve's comments. I'd love to see him back it up with something.

I hope this clears my point up a bit, Peter. We are in agreement that from an economic standpoint, Clinton was a good President...but Reagan was better, and got the ball rolling with some very sound economic concepts. My real problem lies with Steve, and anyone else who claims that Reagan somehow hurt us...which is blatantly absurd.

See, I did reply! Took me 5 days, but I did it.

Originally posted by PigsnieLite
I dont know why but I started laughin like nutsy when I read this TWT! You are a comedian after all.
Laughing as in it was funny, or laughing as in it was crazy/absurd? And I'm sorry, I don't think most people hate us. I think there are some very vocal people who hate us, but there are still lots of people who would love to live in the United States. Anyway, I'm not up for an argument on the USA's past offenses (or lack thereof) right now.

Right wing republican bast@rd! I didn't even read all of that because if comes from a republican it has to be cr@p. F you and all of the other people that enjoy wearing large belt buckles and riding in an oversized truck that I can't see around when i need to turn. F u all in you Fing @ss.

This is your first warning. Speak that way again, and you're banned. Now, if you're ready to behave at least half your age, I'd appreciate some logic...or are your beliefs based on blind rhetoric and unfounded hatred?

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Well Chris, all I've got to say, as of now, is that was quiet the lengthy post!

I'm in St. Louis right now, staying with my bro in his dorm for a few days, so I'll post back more when I get back to my house.

Zweee, that was F*cking hilarious!

Originally posted by OG-
Well Chris, all I've got to say, as of now, is that was quiet the lengthy post!

I'm in St. Louis right now, staying with my bro in his dorm for a few days, so I'll post back more when I get back to my house.

Zweee, that was F*cking hilarious!
No problem. I took my own sweet time too, so it's all good. We've all got more important crap going on. And yeah, I got the vibe that Zwee was messing around, but honestly, I can never tell with him. He's one irritable dude, it seems.

Hey, I'll talk about whatever you like. And I don't know where the uproar was, because I was too young to remember it...so I have nothing to go on right now but your word that there was no uprise. Overall, though, Clinton seems to clearly have more crap on him...he's got a pardon scandal of his own, if you'll recall.
I was born in 1981, so I hardly remember that either. However, I seem to recall Republicans screaming about Clinton’s “unprecedented” (key word here) abuse of the presidential pardon. it’s obvious that Republicans either ignored Bush’s Pardongate scandal or have just developed amnesia.

Hey whos this Arthur guy? I think Pigsnie will like him, hehehe.
I think Pigsnie should already know who I am, as I’ve been here for a while now. Also, I seem to recall you accusing me of liking Hitch the Snitch a few months ago.

TWT, there are two things your theory ignores here. First of all, how do you explain the economic boom of the 1950’s? The income tax was at its highest during that period (sans the short period of time during WWII when the top rate was at 91%).

Secondly, why do you pretend the military is not part of the government? The military gets its money from taxes. Reagan slashed social spending, yes, but he also raised Defense spending significantly (higher than the amount he slashed).

Real economists still argue whether Reaganomics was a succes or not, so I’m not even going to try to argue about it, except to point out glaring contradictions in Hazlett’s theory.

And why does know one care about the lies and criminal activities of the Reagan and Bush administrations? The October Surprise (which questions the very legitimacy of Reagan’s presidency) should have received more attention than Monicagate (and a bigger budget), but conservatives still refuse to debate about it. Not to mention the assasination manuals at the School of the Americas, the lie about the “War on Drugs”, Iraqgate, Death Squads in Latin America, Bob Dole’s frantic urgings to Bush to pardon the Iran-Contra felons (who hadn’t gone to trial yet), the support of terrorist groups, the illegal mining of the Nicaraguan harbor, etc, ad nauseum.

Chris
Thank you for taking so much time and effort and writing that post. You really did a great job and I for one appreciate it. I do want to pull out one item and investigate it. Not that it will do any good, I'm just curious.

Clinton was not bad for the economy. On the whole, he was good for the economy, but he made a mistake which we're now feeling some of the heat for.

We know now that the military is roughly 1/3 to 1/2 the size that it was under the Reagan administration. This is well documented... look it up if you don't believe it. I want to know what happened to the $ that was being funnelled into the defense budget? Obviously if the military was cut that drastically it had to be much less expensive to run. I'm going to dig and see if there are any Clinton "transfusions" into the economy to make it appear better than it actually was (I mean transfusions other than the obvious skimming from all $ that is routed through the Govt).

Don't lump me in with those other Republicans who convienently forget things unless you want to be lumped in with crazy Democracts.

1950s: uh, my history is poor, but wasn't that wartime? Doesn't the economy always boom during wartime?

I am not pretending the military is not part of the government. To me, it's one of our necessities...whereas many other programs in place are not.

I see not contradictioin in Hazlett's teaching. Feel free to point it out...I really do not see it. And no, there should be no debate on Reaganomics. The logistics of the economy aren't too complicated in real life. It's amazingly easy to twist things to fit your ideals when it comes to the economy...you can point to a certain happening and claim that it was the result of so-and-so, but what seperates the good economists from the bad is taking the time to consider the effects of different policies in several ways...not just on one group of people, for one period of time.

As for lies and such, I'll say this: I believe every administration has it's secrets....and I do mean virtually EVERY administration, with maybe some lower-level as an exception. But no, I don't think Reagan knowingly did anything wrong concerning Iran-Contra, and I believe Bush and Reagan simply did what they had to do to make this country a better place. I don't think you or I can testify as to the things they've done, though.

But with Clinton, it's quite different. His scandals were all about covering up his own moral shortcomings. It was about self-preservation all the way.

Originally posted by Toose
Clinton was not bad for the economy. On the whole, he was good for the economy, but he made a mistake which we're now feeling some of the heat for.

We know now that the military is roughly 1/3 to 1/2 the size that it was under the Reagan administration. This is well documented... look it up if you don't believe it. I want to know what happened to the $ that was being funnelled into the defense budget? Obviously if the military was cut that drastically it had to be much less expensive to run. I'm going to dig and see if there are any Clinton "transfusions" into the economy to make it appear better than it actually was (I mean transfusions other than the obvious skimming from all $ that is routed through the Govt).
No doubt that Clinton has harmed this country by making things difficult for our military and intelligence-gathering organizations, but from a purely economic standpoint, he listened to the right people, and, it seems, made only one mistake. It's a significant mistake, but on the whole he took the right side in a very important choice, which, IMO, made the difference.

But with Clinton, it's quite different. His scandals were all about covering up his own moral shortcomings. It was about self-preservation all the way.
Like an attack on Serbia to cover up Monicagate?

For an example, yeah, I suppose so. I expect all administrations to have some things they keep under lock and keep...it's the friggin' government, it's going to happen. Sometimes it's for the best...sometimes it's not. But with Clinton, he sure seemed as if he was just interested in keeping his a** covered at all times.

I see not contradictioin in Hazlett's teaching. Feel free to point it out...I really do not see it. And no, there should be no debate on Reaganomics. The logistics of the economy aren't too complicated in real life. It's amazingly easy to twist things to fit your ideals when it comes to the economy...you can point to a certain happening and claim that it was the result of so-and-so, but what seperates the good economists from the bad is taking the time to consider the effects of different policies in several ways...not just on one group of people, for one period of time.
As far as I know, you are not an economist, so don't pretend to be one. I acknowledged that it's easy to twist things around to fit your views, which is what you're doing when you say there should be no debate on the matter. Reaganomics is not empirically proven, and Keynesianism has never successfully been dsiproven (Hayek attempted to, but stopped short).

As for lies and such, I'll say this: I believe every administration has it's secrets....and I do mean virtually EVERY administration, with maybe some lower-level as an exception. But no, I don't think Reagan knowingly did anything wrong concerning Iran-Contra, and I believe Bush and Reagan simply did what they had to do to make this country a better place. I don't think you or I can testify as to the things they've done, though.

I barely even mentioned Iran-Contra, but it's PLAINLY obvious that both administrations were covering up certain things (in a self-serving way) when Bush pardoned the principal suspects BEFORE TRIAL. Don't even try to deny it. And I think covering for genocides in Latin America and becoming friendly with dictators, terrorist groups, and narcotraffickers is a sign of moral shortcomings as well (all of which was covered up).