Cussin'

Tools    

I can trace the first instance of the word c**t appearing in a mainstream movie to 1971.

Both Play Misty for Me and Carnal Knowledge contain that word - though Eastwood does mutter his under his breath.

Can anybody pin-point the real trailblazer?

And what about the F word? Must be 60's right?

I know Richard Attenborough says F-ing in Loot in 1970, but I don't even think that can be the first British example.

Help me out folks, and hi!

Daisy

I just have to say: Great Thread!

I find it hillarious that the above is Daisy's only post ever.

The F word first appeared in the famous 1955 movie The Seven Little Foys. Bob hope cussed, F***, one of my foys is missing!!!!

Yes I love it! Hahahaha

Nice one, Pig.

thanks for the replies folks but we're still nowhere near real knowledge. I just need to know, Zwee! Well Sultan, I just guess not everyone can be an old timer like yourself - I've got catching up to do (at least a couple of weeks!)

BTW loads of foul language got tossed around in front of the cameras in the silent days - until they got complaints from lip readers!

Daisy

Rock God
ah, offensive movies. a favorite topic i have no idea when the first f word was dropped, but for a lesson in just how nasty the 70s were, everyone should check out Fritz the Cat. a classic, for sure.

Rock God
oops, that should have read 60s.

and welcome, daisy!

My bro Pigsnie said the movie that changed everything was Whos afraid of Virginia WOOLF & it came out in 1966.

See, Toose? This is how I do research. Ask Pigsnie, hahaha.

Pigsnie also said the word f*** was first utterd on broadcast TV in 1965 by ken Tynan. thats the BBC I guess.

Nothin wrong with swearin. Pigsnie does it all the time like when he stubs his toe. he says, Bloody f*** F*** me for the honor of the F***ing Scots, THAT HURT!!!!

No I don't giggle it's just this fuc%ing web-site and any web-site for that matter and how it restricts the way that I can talk. Trust me if I could I would be saying Fu-- every other word on this site. That or Bullsh*t. So I just appreciate it that Daisy has started such a thread.

Yes, I know, it was a joke. I figured you would get that. Anyway, if that's indeed the case, then I'm glad I've restricted the way you talk, because language like that has no place here -- or in most other places, for that matter. Swearing has it's uses, but there's simply no good reason to use it all the time -- none at all. There are an awful lot of words in the English language...so I don't see the point in reusing some of them (which happen to offend a lot of people) so often.

I don't curse a lot either just when I am part of a debate of some kind. That's when I feel it is a lot of fun to use. Get off your high-horse.

You don't curse a lot?

Trust me if I could I would be saying Fu-- every other word on this site. That or Bullsh*t.
No high horse here -- unless you're imagining one. As you'll notice I didn't put you down, I just told you why I think what I think. If you disagree, feel free to say why. Just because someone thinks, for example, that swearing that often is crude, it doesn't mean they're on an ego trip.

I was watching Bridget Jones Diary the other day. I know, I watched it 'cause I heard it was #1 in the U.K. and I wanted to see what kind of movies they like. It was a girl pic I know, I felt embarassed about watching it. Anyway, there was a lot of cussin' in it. Both in English and ..uh..English. You could tell they put that in there just for the movie ratings. So I was wondering, how do the Brits know how to say f***? Then I thought, I always see Brits cussin on tv here, they don't edit out the B words. Maybe in England they don't edit out the F words. Is there a lot of cussin' over there?

Yes, Sunfrog, a lot of swearing in British TV progs especially after the 9pm "watershed" where these days anything seems possible.

I myself have heard the C word used twice in dramas made for TV both times for comic effect.

In the Police drama The Cops a criminal in the doc is asked by the magistrate why on earth a policeman would lie to the court. Pause for effect, then: "Coz 'e's a c***!" Laughter in court.

Yup, Piggie, I knew about critic Tynan's unprecedendet outburst on live TV back in the swingin' sixties - but it's the movies I'm really interested in and the big C in particular - that's such a taboo word.

Al Pacino isn't even able to pronounce it properly in Glengarry Glen Ross:

"You stupid f**kin' CONT!"

British TV has always been more relaxed about swearing. Check out Til Death Us Do Part - the mid sixties English original for All in the Family. It was bloody this and bloody that and "you silly moo!" Caused a storm. Monty Python regularly used the word Bastard for comic effect.

The words t**t, piss, ****, arse, bollocks, fart are now considered so mild you hardly notice them slipping into all sorts of programmes. But c**t is still rare.

Funniest and best use of the word? Trainspotting. It takes a good Scottish movie to really bring out the C word's potential. Especially Begsbie's little story about his encounter with the "so-called hard c**t"!

For some reason it is an especial favourite word of the Scots. Perhaps that is why I'm facinated by it - or maybe I'm just a dirty woman!

Daisy

[Edited by TWTCommish on 08-18-2001]

You watched the sissy movie BJones, Sunfrog? Hahahah. Well I did too, I liked it, it was pretty funny. I would like to go to a Tarts & vicars party & dress up as a cardinal. (Are you lookin at me funny, Daisy? )

Hummmm, yeah I think Brits cuss a lot on TV & in real life.
I didnt even think arse & fart & bloody is a cuss word anymore, I hear it so much. Pigsnie does swear a lot (especially the F word)but there are some words he never uses, at least not in front of me. he never uses c**t or tw*t. He uses merde a lot which is sh*t in french, hahaha. Jiminy christmas, I must go out & footle now.