Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Tools    

What I'm about to say does not necessarily pertain to this board. It might apply here. It might only apply to other people. But I'm going to put my thoughts here anyway.

I don't get why a lot of people seem to have a problem getting their heads around the idea that fans just don't take kindly to "their" stuff being changed. It's not a new thing. It's definitely not exclusive to this movie.

Honestly, the director of this thing should know that pretty darn well. The last movie he had a hand in was The Peanuts Movie (as a producer). I can tell you right now the announcement of CGI Peanuts was not met with open arms and optimism. I've seen the designs get insulted literally years before there was any way for the public to have actually seen said designs.

If it's so common for fans to get angry over change then why is this movie in particular getting hit with such an uncommon level of hatred? I don't know. Maybe people are tired of an endless string of unoriginal ideas and this is the straw that broke the camel's back. Maybe it legitimately looks worse than other remakes/reboots/really late sequels. Maybe they messed with something with a big enough fanbase to get a real wave of hatred this time.

Maybe people don't take well to being called misogynist over stupid crud. Maybe people have tried to make the damned thing into some kind of social issue instead of a crummy movie and therefore it's been tossed around a lot for no reason. You never know.
It's arguably the biggest publicized reboot/remake of what is already a staggeringly popular movie. That alone introduces more than enough doubters, but tack on a change as significant as genderswapping the entire main cast and pushing it with a trailer that does it little service and you've got a perfect storm of riled feathers.

Originally Posted by Melissa McCarthy
The trailer said 30 years later, which I didn't get myself...believe me, the question was asked. I was like 'I think that's very confusing,' but then everyone said 'we don't care what you think.'
Hrmmm...

The Peanuts Movie
SPEAKING OF The Peanuts Movie, there's a trailer that very nearly shot itself in the face.

When did this:

Turn into this?:

I think that warrants SIGNIFICANTLY more shitflipping than what Ghostbusters is getting.

I don't blame him for losing his rag over some of the comments for this movie though. There has been some very sexist responses to the idea.
I'm sure there are. If he's just said things about some specific people then I have no problem with him being angry about that. But some people (possibly including him, I'm not sure) seem to attribute any and all hate the thing gets to not liking women, and that is bullcrud.

SPEAKING OF The Peanuts Movie, there's a trailer that very nearly shot itself in the face.

When did this:

Turn into this?:

I think that warrants SIGNIFICANTLY more shitflipping than what Ghostbusters is getting.

Going to comments sections for articles or videos of trailers show that there WERE a ton of complaints about the music. But there were two things mitigating the anger;

1. The makers said it wouldn't be in the movie. And it wasn't. And even if the creators hadn't come right out and said it, it's a common enough practice to put songs in trailers that don't show up in the movie that some people picked up on the possibility and reserved the lid flipping.

2. It was one bad thing cushioned in a promising adaption.

Originally Posted by Colors
Going to comments sections for articles or videos of trailers show that there WERE a ton of complaints about the music.
Oh I know, I'm in them.

But there were two things mitigating the anger;

1. The makers said it wouldn't be in the movie. And it wasn't. And even if the creators hadn't come right out and said it, it's a common enough practice to put songs in trailers that don't show up in the movie that some people picked up on the possibility and reserved the lid flipping.
Still a righteously BAD MOVE for a trailer. The marketing exec in charge of that decision should be fired for such extreme tone-deafness.

2. It was one bad thing cushioned in a promising adaption.
That's why I said "very nearly". Even so, isn't it worse to potentially spoil a promising adaption than something like Ghostbusters with virtually no positive expectations going in?

That's why I said "very nearly". Even so, isn't it worse to potentially spoil a promising adaption than something like Ghostbusters with virtually no positive expectations going in?
If we're going into hypothetical scenarios, maybe? I can't imagine having a movie spoiled for me because I didn't like the use of a song.

If we're going into hypothetical scenarios, maybe? I can't imagine having a movie spoiled for me because I didn't like the use of a song.
It seems shallow when you put it like that, but think of it this way:

Consider an intellectual property long built on and dependent upon it's laser focus on a dark moody atmosphere filled with dread.

Then, imagine they advertised it like this:

Still feeling the exact same way, can't imagine dismissing something because the trailer music is bad.

Still feeling the exact same way, can't imagine dismissing something because the trailer music is bad.
You assume it's not in the movie though, how can you know for sure?

I didn't want that blaring wubwub soundtrack in Tron: Legacy after I saw it in the trailer, but guess what stuck around?

You assume it's not in the movie though, how can you know for sure?

I didn't want that blaring wubwub soundtrack in Tron: Legacy after I saw it in the trailer, but guess what stuck around?
Because, again, the makers of the film said it wasn't sticking around. And they also released a soundtrack list that was distinctly lacking the song around the same time the trailers were dropping. Anyone who was really that concerned could find these things easily enough.

And also again, I think having one bad song in it is an extremely crummy thing to dismiss a movie over.

Why is this relevant again? Peanuts had one thing in its trailers that ticked people off, and that one thing was something commonly screwed with and misrepresented in trailers and simultaneously had easily accessible evidence that it was in fact misrepresented and the unliked thing wasn't actually going to be used. Ghostbusters' trailer is ticking people off with everything in it, mostly with things that are extremely unlikely to not be in the finished film. The latter got more hate because that's logically what flows from the situation.

Because, again, the makers of the film said it wasn't sticking around.
That's just one situation.

And they also released a soundtrack list that was distinctly lacking the song around the same time the trailers were dropping. Anyone who was really that concerned could find these things easily enough.
We're talking about the popular majority here. How many people investigate past surface impressions? Scarce few.

And also again, I think having one bad song in it is an extremely crummy thing to dismiss a movie over.
You say "dismiss", but I don't. I just think it's telling.

Some people are dismissive, but to be fair if they're reserving their movie watching to only those things that "look good", anything with a glaring issue like that is liable to slide off their radar. They'd be justified in that decision too.

"Did you see The Peanuts Movie?"

"No."

"Why not? It's good."

"I thought the trailer was questionable."

"Well you know, you could have easily looked up and found out that that was just a bad trailer."

( o__o) "Dude, I work 2 jobs and can barely afford internet, give me a break."

Why is this relevant again? Peanuts had one thing in its trailers that ticked people off, and that one thing was something commonly screwed with and misrepresented in trailers and simultaneously had easily accessible evidence that it was in fact misrepresented and the unliked thing wasn't actually going to be used. Ghostbusters' trailer is ticking people off with everything in it, mostly with things that are extremely unlikely to not be in the finished film. The latter got more hate because that's logically what flows from the situation. You apparently thinking the former should have got more hate has nothing to do with anything.
The outcry of betrayal is pretty friggen' relevant.

Especially since the original point was that changing things nets complaints; the music was changed, it got complaints. It didn't get as many as Ghostbusters because, again, the screw up was smaller and more likely to just be a trailer problem.
It's that "likely" thing. I'm speaking generally here, and again, how many people investigate past surface impressions?

Not only that, but how many need to? General history has given people more that enough reason to doubt modernized reboots.

I'm not continuing this conversation wherein people have time to see movies but not Google things (and where the movie with rotary phones and typewriters is modernized. And where the topic suddenly shifted from "You" to "Everyone") until you tell me what this has to do with my point.

Change = Complaints. The music changed, people complained. What, exactly, is the problem here?

I'm not continuing this conversation wherein people have time to see movies but not Google things
It's not a matter of time, it's a matter of motivation.

and where the movie with rotary phones and typewriters is modernized.
Modernization is not limited to time period, in-world technology, or out-world technology. It can simply refer to shifting things to appeal to a newer demographic.

Change = Complaints. The music changed, people complained. What, exactly, is the problem here?
I think you're simplifying a complex issue. There's a fine line between knee-jerk aversion to change and disgust at seeing a favored license cynically exploited by gutting and repackaging it to pander to a profitable crowd.

tell me what this has to do with my point.
If I still must, then I'll leave it there.

It's not a matter of time, it's a matter of motivation.
I've been talking about fans from the start. People who are actively invested in what's going on with the properties they like, and SHOULD have the motivation. You decided to fan it out to the general public.

Modernization is not limited to time period, in-world technology, or out-world technology. It can simply refer to shifting things to appeal to a newer demographic.

Can I just ask; have you actually seen Peanuts?

I think you're simplifying a complex issue. There's a fine line between knee-jerk aversion to change and disgust at seeing a favored license cynically exploited by gutting and repackaging it to pander to a profitable crowd.

You know you could have just said that without spending multiple posts complaining about a completely different movie's trailer, right?

I've been talking about fans from the start.
Oh. Well, my mistake.

It's worth asking what constitutes a fan though.

Can I just ask; have you actually seen Peanuts?
No, but I really want to. It does seem promising.

I saw Star Wars instead.

You know you could have just said that without spending multiple posts complaining about a completely different movie's trailer, right?
You mean Peanuts? I wasn't. Peanuts is just an example. Like Tron: Legacy, Cat in the Hat, or Land of the Lost.

I honestly didn't begin this by disagreeing with you, just expounding off on what you said.

Wow... I just checked the Youtube comments section for the trailer of the movie.... that place is WORSE than here... worse than Rodent's comments.... they really hate this movie. It's beautiful.

Wow... I just checked the Youtube comments section for the trailer of the movie.... that place is WORSE than here... worse than Rodent's comments.... they really hate this movie. It's beautiful.
There's a pretty big difference in depravity between this thread and your average Youtube comments section.

So...? We should go tell everyone on youtube they are awful or what? Rodents comments are here, if he wants to backtrack he can but i don't think he'd like being compared to youtube comments either, whatever though.

There's a pretty big difference in depravity between this thread and your average Youtube comments section.
I know how Youtube is, but it still surprised me to see how so many people already hate this movie. It's like... OF COURSE this Ghostbusters 3 thread is this way. It would be that way at any movie forum.

So...? We should go tell everyone on youtube they are awful or what? Rodents comments are here, if he wants to backtrack he can but i don't think he'd like being compared to youtube comments either, whatever though.
? Stop drinking.