My 2017 Movies - ranked

Tools    

That's a really boring list from Sight and Sound. Usually they pick more lesser known films, glad about Twin Peaks anyway if i was counting it as a film it could be #1.

movies can be okay...
I can only make a solid top 5 so far:

1 - Loveless
+
2 - It Comes at Night

3 - Good Time
-
4 - A Ghost Story

5 - Get Out

I'm watching "mother!" tonight, so that will probably place somewhere in this list as well.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

But Camo, Faces Places is co-directed by and stars 89-year-old Agnès Varda.
Yep Don't think i'll be able to see that anywhere for months though . The poster with tiny Varda is amazing:

What i meant by that comment was usually Sight and Sound bring up at least a few i'm not aware of, this year i had heard of all 30 so it was a little underwhelming.

Welcome to the human race...
I'm not sure where "here" is for you, I live in the US so go by US release date. The differentiation of years applies primarily to foreign films that were released in their home countries in 2016 (or even 2015) but didn't make it Stateside until 2017 or festival titles that had a screening at a ticketed/badged festival in 2016 but weren't released to public audiences until 2017. A Quiet Passion for instance didn't play anywhere in the US but film festivals until April 14, 2017 when it finally got a proper release. I think those cases are pretty straight-forward.

Oscar nominees in regular categories were by definition released in the US last year as that's what it takes to qualify, so Manchester, Moonlight, etc. are all 2016 films if you're American. They may have expanded the number of theaters they played in throughout and into 2017, but they had legitimate theatrical releases in 2016 -- they had to.

Where it can get a bit tricky is in the foreign, doc, and shorts categories where the rules are a bit funky and sometimes the only US screenings in the year they're nominated are at qualifying festivals or private Academy member only screenings. I Am Not Your Negro is the one title I think on my list that represents that. It held screenings for one weekend in December 2016 in one theater in NY and one theater in LA that were free to AMPAS voters but closed to anyone else to qualify for an Oscar nomination, which it got. But it wasn't actually released to the public by its distributor until February 3, 2017. In my opinion, if there's no screening where a random guy off the street with $20 can purchase a ticket, your movie hasn't actually been released yet.

There's typically only a dozen or so cases of that kind of awards chicanery each year though and otherwise I think releases are pretty straightforward. The year next to a title on the mainpage at IMDb is pretty worthless unless you're going by first screening for anyone anywhere, but their release dates page makes pretty clear when a movie has first had a public release.
"Here" for me is Australia, which is all over the place when it comes to releases. Sometimes we get films considerably early (e.g. The Lobster saw non-festival release here in 2015 yet most other places ended up counting it as a 2016 wide-release), sometimes we get them on time (The Handmaiden was released here in November 2016 so I'm not going to count it in my 2017 list), and sometimes we get them late (like Moonlight). The overlap between years definitely makes it a challenge and I question whether or not researching every single possible 2016 movie that could qualify for a 2017 list is worth it (though a cursory look at IMDb indicates that Silence might qualify now if its only 2016 releases were limited ones). Such a complicated state of affairs.

These are the only movies I've seen this year
Happy Death Day
Baywatch
Resident Evil The Final Chapter
Guardians of the Galaxy Part 2
Wonder Woman
IT

I'll need to watch more to make a best 2017 list, out of these movies I seen so far, Baywatch would be the only one that wouldn't make my list since it wasn't that good imo

Going to post all the films i've seen here and update as i watch more. Nathan For You: Finding Frances is something i wouldn't have even thought of, technically it's an episode of a tv show but it's feature length and it's on Letterboxd so i'm counting it. Removed Raw and The Lost City of Z, both were technically released in 2016 but there was no way for me to see them then which is why i had them on my 2017 list, i'm just a weirdo who gets annoyed at films with 2016 on Letterboxd being on my 2017 list haha.

01. The Florida Project (Sean Baker)
02. Good Time (Ben and Josh Safdie)
03. LA 92 (T.J Martin & Daniel Lindsay)
04. mother! (Darren Aronofsky)
05. Call Me By Your Name (Luca Guadagnino)
06. Lady Bird (Greta Garwig)
07. Logan (James Marigold)
08. Song To Song (Terence Malick)
09. Brigsby Bear (Dave McCary)
10. City of Ghosts (Matthew Heineman)
11. Detroit (Katheryn Bigelow)
12. A Ghost Story (David Lowery)
13. The Meyerowitz Stories (Noah Baumbach)
14. The Other Side of Hope (Ari Kaurismaki)
15. The Beguiled (Sofia Coppola)
16. The Lego Batman Movie (Chris McKay)
17. John Wick: Chapter 2 (Chad Stahelski)
18. Logan Lucky (Steven Soderbegh)
19. Blade Runner 2049 (Denis Villeneuve)
20. Ingrid Goes West (Matt Spicer)
21. Wind River (Taylor Sheridan)
22. Get Out (Jordan Peele)
23. Brawl In Cell Block 99 (S. Craig Zahler)
24. Bad Genius (Nattawut Poonpiriya)
25. IT (Andy Muschietti)
26. Okja (Bong Joon-Ho)
27. Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson)
28. Wonder Woman (Patty Jenkins)
29. Columbus (Kogonada)
30. Spider-Man: Homecoming (Jon Watts)
31. The Boss Baby (Dreamworks)
32. Ghost in the Shell (Rupert Sanders)

Pretty good year so far. The only one i hate there is Ghost in the Shell, even The Boss Baby was a solid enough film to watch with my nephew and niece.

Trivia - I give three of your bottom six
and four of the rest the same rating.
Spider-Man, Wonder Woman and Okja i guess? They are all
for me Okja might be +. I enjoyed them as i said Ghost in the Shell is the only one i hate so far.

This might just do nobody any good.
42 directors name their favorite movies of 2017 (and sometimes television shows too)

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/12/dir...no-1201911679/

I've watched 31 so far if you include Finding Frances. My rankings are a few posts up or here.

Going to watch: Call Me By Your Name, Dunkirk, It Comes At Night and Three Bilboards soon hopefully. Getting busy right now and it's impossible finding time with all the other stuff i want to watch.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
42 directors name their favorite movies of 2017 (and sometimes television shows too)

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/12/dir...no-1201911679/
Thanks for that article, Saunch. Without it I wouldnt have heard about some films, including this documentary which is probably a must for mofos

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5215486/

You can't win an argument just by being right!
That's because you never check my posts at Movie Tab II or my new mark f's Mpvie Tab III.
I'm sorry, mrk. I find movie tabs a bit hard to read. Will try harder in future My eyes aint what they used to be. They get a bit temperamental.

"Luck don't live out here."
My Top 10:

1. Blade Runner 2049

2. Logan

3. Wind River

4. Star Wars: Episode 8 - The Last Jedi

5. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

6. Baby Driver

7. Dunkirk

8. It

9. Thor: Ragnarok

10. The Lost City of Z

Honorable mentions: Get Out
, Spider-Man: Homecoming
, The LEGO Batman Movie
, Split
, John Wick: Chapter 2

End-of-year list (* = technically 2016 release)

1. Blade Runner 2049
2. Baby Driver
3. Logan
4. John Wick: Chapter Two
5. The Florida Project
6. Brigsby Bear
7. Alien: Covenant
8. World of Tomorrow Episode Two: The Burden of Other People's Thoughts
9. Coco
10. Get Out
11. The Shape of Water
12. Colossal*
13. A Ghost Story
14. Call Me By Your Name
15. The Death of Stalin
16. Good Time
17. Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie
18. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
19. Star Wars: The Last Jedi
20. Raw*
21. A Cure for Wellness*
22. Okja
23. War for the Planet of the Apes
24. Loveless
25. Thor: Ragnarok
26. It
27. mother!
28. Happy End
29. Detroit
30. Wonder Woman
31. Dunkirk
32. The Lego Batman Movie
33. Mudbound
34. In this Corner of the World*
35. Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
36. xXx: Return of Xander Cage
37. Logan Lucky
38. Spielberg
39. Graduation*
40. The Disaster Artist
41. The Big Sick
42. Kong: Skull Island
43. I Don't Feel At Home In This World Anymore
44. It Comes at Night
45. First They Killed My Father
46. Nocturama*
47. Ingrid Goes West
48. T2 Trainspotting
49. Spider-Man: Homecoming
50. Lucky
51. Joan Didion: The Center Will Not Hold
52. David Bowie: The Last Five Years
53. The Beguiled
54. Boyka: Undisputed
55. The Problem with Apu
56. Chasing Trane
57. Gerald's Game
58. Resident Evil: The Final Chapter*
59. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
60. The Bad Batch*
61. Professor Marston and the Wonder Women
62. The Killing of a Sacred Deer
63. The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected)
64. Kingsman: The Golden Circle
65. Atomic Blonde
66. The Fate of the Furious
67. Wind River
68. Girls Trip
69. Beauty and the Beast
70. Death Note
71. Song to Song
72. Savage Dog
73. Free Fire*
74. Ghost in the Shell
75. Transformers: The Last Knight
76. Murder on the Orient Express
77. Salt and Fire*
78. Life
79. Wheelman
80. Security
81. Message from the King*
82. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
83. The Dark Tower
84. The Mummy
85. Justice League
86. XX
87. Split*
88. The Great Wall*
89. Long Shot
90. Mindhorn*
91. Pottersville
92. The Circle
93. American Made
94. Bright
95. The Hitman's Bodyguard
96. Lost in Paris*
97. The Book of Henry
98. Becoming Bond
99. Kidnap
100. The Only Living Boy in New York
101. My Father Die*

Perhaps. I tried adding each new title as the year progressed and then started mixing and matching the order just now since it's all kind of arbitrary (even thought about breaking it down by rating e.g. everything from A Ghost Story to In this Corner of the World is a
) but yeah, maybe it is a little higher than it should be. In any case, it was a surprisingly well-done piece of work that's far better than I would've expected a Captain Underpants movie made by DreamWorks in 2017 to be.

There's still a lot I want to see, but here's my current top 10.

1. The Killing of a Sacred Deer
2. Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond
3. Get Out
4. Call Me by Your Name
5. Lady Bird
6. The Disaster Artist
7. Good Time
8. Raw
9. Mother!
10. Spider-Man: Homecoming