Movie Tab II

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
REWATCH LA Confidential
Loved the movie from the first time at the theater, even higher praise for the book and the series it came from
"Some guys get the world. Others; ex-whores and a trip to Arizona."

Love Crazy (1947)??
William Powell and Myrna Loy. A team who did very well with the Thin Man movies, continues their usual casually elegant aplomb when, to avoid divorce, hubby claims insanity.

REWATCH Army of Darkness

"This. . . is. . . my BOOM stick!"

[i][b][IMG]
Contempt (1963) -

A City of Sadness (1989) -
+ A DISAPPOINTMENT BADGE]

Contempt is probably my favourite JLG film.

Surprised you didn't like A City of Sadness that much.

I've seen In the Company of Men a few days ago (I liked it) and I'll add Your Friends and Neighbors to my watchlist. Thanks for the recommendation!
Your Friends and Neighbors is a similar theme, belonging to the genre I call psychosuburbia. It's not a perfect film- like Happiness, the pace is a little slow- but it's much shorter and sharper with the lines. Happiness does have some sharp lines but they're kind of buried under the sort of pit of grimness.

Roger Ebert described Your Friends and Neighbors as "the kind of date movie that wants to make you go home alone" and it's true but only because it's so spot on about the negative aspects of relationships.

Your Friends and Neighbors also has a great comic/chilling scene (2.26 to 8.29):

Dawn of the Dead (1978):
+
The Fly (1986):
-
Heat (1995):

Platoon (1986):
-
Battle Royale (2000):

Five Fingers (2006):
-
Tokyo Gore Police (2008):
+
Smiley (2012):

Deep Red (1975):

The Incredibles (2004):

The Elephant Man (1980):

Candyman (1992):
+

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Pot o’ Gold (George Marshall, 1941)
-
An Ideal Husband (Alexander Korda, 1947)

The Oxford Murders (Alex de la Iglesia, 2008)

Silver Linings Playbook (David O. Russell, 2012)
+

Hollywood Canteen (Delmer Daves, 1944)

Vanity Fair (Mira Nair, 2004)

Larry Crowne (Tom Hanks, 2011)

Stakeout (John Badham, 1987)

Crazy in Alabama (Antonio Banderas, 1999)

Raid on Rommel (Henry Hathaway, 1971)

Sweet Home Alabama (Andy Tennant, 2002)

Team America: World Police (Trey Parker, 2004)

Visioneers (Jared Drake, 2008)
+
You Can’t Fool Your Wife (Ray McCarey, 1940)

Background to Danger (Raoul Walsh, 1943)

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Peter Jackson, 2012)

The Amorous Adventures of Moll Flanders (Terence Young, 1965)

Extreme Measures (Michael Apted, 1996)
=
Flight Command (Frank Borzage, 1940)

The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio (Jane Anderson, 2005)
-

Your Friends and Neighbors is a similar theme, belonging to the genre I call psychosuburbia. It's not a perfect film- like Happiness, the pace is a little slow- but it's much shorter and sharper with the lines. Happiness does have some sharp lines but they're kind of buried under the sort of pit of grimness.

Roger Ebert described Your Friends and Neighbors as "the kind of date movie that wants to make you go home alone" and it's true but only because it's so spot on about the negative aspects of relationships.

Your Friends and Neighbors also has a great comic/chilling scene (2.26 to 8.29):
I'm watching it one of the following days for sure. I very much appreciate your recommendation.

No, your rating for Team America: World Police was really low. That's a high rating for a silent comedy.

Adaptation. (Spike Jonze, 2002)

Sympathy For Delicious (Mark Ruffalo, 2010)

Memento Mori (Dan Browne, 2012)

Harvie Krumpet (Adam Elliot, 2003)

Franz Kafka’s It’s a Wonderful Life (Peter Capaldi, 1995)
+
Tale of Tales (Yurly Norshteyn, 1979)

The Dream of a Ridiculous Man (Aleksandr Petrov, 1992)

Presto (Doug Sweetland, 2008)

The Cotton Club (Francis Ford Coppola, 1984)
+
The House is Black (Forugh Farrokhzad, 1963)
Originally:
Revised:

Envelope (Aleksey Nuzhny, 2012)

Duck Amuck (Chuck Jones, 1953)

Dimensions of Dialogue (Jan Svankmajer, 1983)

The Terrys (Tim Heidecker & Eric Wareheim, 2011)

Wake Me When It’s Over (Mervyn LeRoy, 1960)

High Wall (Curtis Bernhardt, 1947)
-

Outer Space (Peter Tscherkassky, 2000)

La jetee (Chris Marker, 1962)

Way… Way Out (Gordon Douglas, 1966)

King-Size Canary (Tex Avery, 1947)

Everything Will Be OK (Don Hertzfeldt, 2006)

Meshes of the Afternoon (Maya Deren & Alexander Hammid, 1943)

10/65: Selbstverstümmelung (Kurt Kren, 1965)

Geri’s Game (Jan Pinkava, 1997)

Resisting Enemy Interrogation (Bernard Vorhaus, 1944)

Screaming Eagles (Charles Haas, 1956)

A New Kind of Love (Melville Shavelson, 1964)
+
The Bride of Frankenstein (James Whale, 1935)
+ Classic Rating:

The Return of Peter Grimm (George Nichole, Jr., 1935)
+
It Came From Beneath the Sea (Robert Gordon, 1955)

Carefree (Mark Sandrich, 1938)

The Red Balloon (Albert Lamorisse, 1956)

I'm not old, you're just 12.
The Wedding Singer - Remember when Adam Sandler was actually funny and even a little bit charming? Remember when Drew Barrymore was actually in movies? Yeah, this was a great little bit of fluff, lots of 1980's jokes and a fun Billy Idol cameo. It seems to me that both of the best Adam Sandler films had Drew Barrymore in them, so they should REALLY make more, maybe it will get him out of his unfunny "Jack and Jill/That's My Boy/Grown Ups" rut..

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Good to see you watching animations for the tournament Mark. From what I have seen so far I give the same ratings for Memento Mori (difficult to rate), Harvie Krumpet, Presto and King-Size Canary, however I rate La Jetéé much higher.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Lately you've been watching a lot of great shorts, mark. + for that.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I know about it, but I'm too lazy to watch these nominated shorts. I watched Sherlock Jr. instead. It's short - about 40 minutes.

Sherlock Jr. is great. The only Keaton film I've truly liked so far. Why not vote on the ones you have seen though, Minio?

For donnie:

I'll admit that I'm too tough on The House in Black, but to quote the film, "Alas, my wounds have numbed my spirit." It's tough for me to watch it in my post-stroke life. I'm much better off than these people but my right arm is still mostly unusable and it's difficult to walk even with the walker. I also have sore skin from rubbing against the bed I sit/lay on, so I do relate to those shown in the film. The fact that there is an overriding prayer is also tugging at my conscience since I've periodically wished I were dead - not only to put me out of my "misery" but to provide my family with some much-needed cash from my life insurance. All this has probably skewed my viewing, thinking and feeling of the film, but I do feel that it's easy to overrate something like this just because of the subject matter. If I don't think it's great cinema then I must be a bad person. I will say I'm raising my rating but it won't be that much higher; at least I don't think so. It's still hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

I'll talk about Envelope later, but that rating stands.

Sorry to hear Mark, but I do think it's great cinema, while I didn't find The Red Balloon touching at all, so I guess I'm the bad guy. I thought Envelope was the best, but Spacey did two more short films with that company, if you'd like to check them out. They're both less professional but more comedic.