→ in
Tools    

Tarzan Finds a Son
(1939) - Directed by Richard Thorpe
--------------------------------------------
Jungle Adventure
-------------------------------------------------
"Tarzan father. Call 'Boy!'"

You know, when I saw the original Weissmuller Tarzan film, I was really hoping I would be into the series as a fan of the book. But I took the book's author, Edgar Rice Burroughs seriously when I read about his disdain for the MGM franchise. So every time I turn on one of these movies in the series, I hope the creators learn their lesson. But the fourth entry pretty much confirms to me that the writers didn't care about the legend of Tarzan and the elements that made up Tarzan's popularity and legendary status at all.

Tarzan Finds a Son sees Tarzan and Jane finding an infant in a plane crash, being the only one left alive. Together they raise "Boy" as one of their own. But when distant cousins of the boy come to find the family, Jane and Tarzan are torn when they realize that they must let Boy go. Tarzan won't allow it, but Jane goes behind his back. Unbeknownst to them, the family has ulterior motives for the kid.

Plot-wise, there's barely anything new here. Despite the kid subplot, it really just amounts to the same old stuff. People come to Africa to hunt, Tarzan and Jane meet them, Jane tries to relate to them, Jane gets in danger, Tarzan saves them, whichever villains are left alive are forced to go home. I really don't think I'm giving spoilers at this point. I mean, I really, really don't think these are spoilers at this point. Although, there are a couple things unique to this, namely the whole inheritance thing. But I think that would bore children, really. If people are worried that the business talk of the live-action Flintstones movie would bore children, I feel like this would, too.

But I really, really REALLY have to say this. It's been years since Jane and Tarzan began their relationship, and Tarzan still can't speak proper English. It's gone on for four movies, and this one establishes that he still can't do it by the time the kid's at least six. This is a blatant and disgusting insult to the intelligence Tarzan constantly displayed in the original novel. Even Burroughs himself hated the changes made to Tarzan in the first film. It was bad enough that they degraded him from an intelligent thinker to a dumb ape in the first film, but this cements that the writers sold out and couldn't give one single damn. In fact, there's no way Tarzan would be trapped in a canyon for so long. If I know Taran, I know he woulda climbed the **** out of that canyon like a boss. And I'm not being a fanboy. Read the books; he would've.

Now as for the good stuff, I'll admit that I admire the movie's attempts at tugging at the heartstrings, especially considering the intro's setup. And the scenes where Boy is playing with the kids are pretty cute in general. And I especially liked the scene in which the boy speaks the "native" animal language towards the animals to get them to do stuff. Another good aspect about this movie is the use of animals operating machinery like makeshift ceiling fans and elevators, a running gag which would be later replicated in the aforementioned Flintstones franchise.

Well, after the fourth outing in the MGM Tarzan series, I can guarantee that this fan of the novel is severely disappointed in this adaptation franchise. I know now that all the MGM Tarzan series will do for me is provide fodder for the lower half of my log of every film I've seen ranked from best to worst, helping to lower the percentage of supernatural horror movies that plague the bottom half. But if I had to be honest with myself, I'll continue holding onto the possibility that somebody changes something in the series later on, even if that hope ends up in sheer disappointment for later entries until I finish the all of the films of that accursed series. I'ma make my OWN Tarzan movie someday, and it'll be faithful to the books.

= 43

Richard Thorpe's Directorial Score (4 Good vs. 1 Bad)

Ivanhoe: 72
The Sun Comes Up: 63
Challenge to Lassie: 61
Tarzan Escapes: 50
Tarzan Finds a Son: 43

Score: 57.8 / 5

Richard Thorpe drops from #214 to #228 between Gene Fowler, Jr. and Dwight H. Little.

Tarzan's Secret Treasure
(1939) - Directed by Richard Thorpe
Jungle Adventure
"Tarzan father. Call 'Boy!'"

This is my second Tarzan movie of the day. After the third movie in the series, I was starting to get a little bored, so I went months without another Tarzan movie, or a lot of other movies, so I could focus on album listening. Now that I'm back on films, I'm working through classics, and that means I'm gonna finish the Weissmuller Tarzan movie series as was my original goal when I watched the first film.

More hunters come to the jungle on an expedition and meet Tarzan, Jane and Boy. When Boy lets slip that he and Tarzan found gold nuggets somewhere in the jungle, greed gets to most of the men and they take Tarzan's family hostage to bribe Tarzan to lead them to the gold.

The whole movie is pretty much making mistake after mistake. For one thing, what's Jane doing telling a curious kid like Boy about civilization only to say, "get you mind off of civilization?" Honestly, you literally lectured the kid on it, Jane. For another thing, the kid's speaking full freakin' English and Tarzan's still doing caveman speech because that apparently sells, which I don't buy considering the kid's speaking just fine. And this little black kid that Boy befriends barely does anything throughout his screentime.

The movie is also rehashing more than usual, such as the chase between Boy and the rhino from the last film. And of course, the ending is pretty much exactly the same, so it's obvious that no matter how many different plot elements they include, the Land before Time series has more dignity at this point. And it's just too easy to get tired of.

If you wanna watch cinematic history, you'll get a better history lesson from watching VHS openings to kid's movies on YouTube with all the commercials intact. Not only is this more obscure addition to the Weissmuller Tarzan catalogue deserving of its less popular status, but it didn't even have to be made. It's a filler movie for a quick buck and that's it. On top of that, it's further proof that the episodic nature of the series is more fit for a half-hour TV series than anything, and it might as well keep the budget of a Power Rangers episode if it's also going to recycle endings.

= 30

Richard Thorpe's directorial score doesn't change.

Spy Kids: Armageddon
(2023) - Directed by Robert Rodriguez
Action / Spy / Sci-Fi / Family
"Armageddon is armed."

So whenever there's a series I've completed, I try to make sure I get through another entry when it comes out. Pray for me when I get through the Transformers movies. This time, it's gonna be Spy Kids, as a fifth one has made its way to Netflix. Chances were it was gonna be even worse than before, as the movies kept getting worse, but I wasn't gonna knock it just yet.

Another new SK team is forming as an overprotective father who maintains severe tech restrictions on his kids now has to deal with the theft of a code he created, one that can break into any computer system around the world. With his house now in danger, the kids are sent away to a safe house where they learn to be spies like their parents. But it takes more than a bunch of gadgets to save the world from a cyber-terrorist who uses his own video game as a security measure to control the world's banks, companies and everything else. They gotta play the game like pros.

Basically, this is a combination of every Spy Kids movie we've had so far. The plot is largely rehashing the first, we have our robot sidekick from 2 except it's a crab (as well as fighting skeletons with swords), a major video-game plot with elements of 3, and... the general incompetence of OSS that we didn't see until 4. So the good and the bad are both attached, and considering that the series kept getting worse over time... this is a slight improvement.

The energy of the first three films is totally there, and that energy is a key factor in any good Spy Kids movie. Our two siblings really feel like kids most of the time, rather than overly clever protagonists like they did in 4. It helps that the movie was all about video games dominating the world, so this was easy for the kids. In a way, it recreates the first film's theme of children being familiar with a childlike world, where the children had to work their way through a children's TV show. Unfortunately, the feeling isn't fully replicated here, as a lot of adults play video games these days. At least the video game aspects were delivered with some creativity here and there, improving on the unique plot of Spy Kids 3 where it counted. On top of this kind of imagination, we get a few new gadgets, but they don't really feel as cool as before.

The real issue of the movie is its completely half-assed look at honesty. "You can't just be dishonest" and "honesty always wins" is NOT gonna convince a kid to be honest without the logic of it attached. As is to be expected, the characters just naturally grow to accept it without any rhyme or reason, and of course our villain learns it, albeit with a twist that I thought actually worked for the story being developed, so it wasn't a total disaster at the end. Think of it like the ending to season one of SAO. On top of this, most of the adults are just plain incompetent, which the first movie was able to avoid. The head of the OSS was made to look like an utter fool for no reason other than to glorify our protagonists. And finally, the parents are ALWAYS bickering over the stupidest things, and as excepted, the dad was super wrong in his efforts to protect the world, as well can expect from modern day kids movies like this. Big surprise.

Well, Rodriguez isn't gonna let his biggest seller go that easily, so be prepared for more Spy Kids movies sometime in the future. But it's pretty obvious that the series is starting to lose its dignity, and may eventually be downgraded to that of another Land Before Time film. Spy Kids 5 won't really bring back the old fans, but at least it tried hard to stay close to the same spirit as the original, unlike 4. So this is, like I said, a slight improvement over 4.

= 44

Robert Rodriguez's directorial score does not change.

Tarzan's New York Adventure
(1942) - Directed by Richard Thorpe
Adventure / Comedy
"Then it's true, he's not a myth."

The Weissmuller Tarzan series has been getting worse for me. I would easily compare the fifth film, Tarzan's Secret Treasure, to MST3K movies like Horrors of Spider Island. As a big fan of the book, I really, REALLY need something to quench my thirst for a proper adaptation, and so far the best I've seen is the Disney movie. So, since I plan on completing this series, let's see how the sixth entry does.

Tarzan has been raising Boy with Jane for years, but Boy's curiosity gets the best of him when he is taken by safari-goers back to New York due to all the danger posed. But Tarzan and Jane are able to travel to New York so they can fight for their adoptive boy. Having to face the kidnappers as well as the courts, Tarzan's next adventure is something he may not be prepared for at all.

Well, six movies in, and I can finally say it: this movie has a PLOT. The second and third act are all about the development of where things are going, battery-powered by the care in Boy's safety. The first act shows a constant progression from one jungle danger to the other while also showing some of these trained animals doing some amazing things. The three elephants coordinating to the orders of Boy is one of the cutest things I've seen in the early talking era.

As far as genre-tagging goes, this "adventure" movie kind of stops being an adventure movie after the first act, and it turns into a comedy where Tarzan and Cheeta are kinda dorking around this new world. And normally these are quite amusing. By this point, the joke of a jungle dude being exposed to modern society has been done to death, but early on it really hasn't. The character has existed for only 30 years by this point, and the main focal point of all the Tarzan adaptation and crap comic book knock-offs has been the action-adventure aspects, as well as all of the fake jungle man names, blonde girls in leopard print bikinis and possible cults and deities. So when we see girls running away from Cheeta throwing hates in a nightclub, we get something fairly original here.

The third act recalls the adventure aspects after a legal session where Tarzan's "primitive" outlook rocks the courthouse with the morals of simple needs. Along with some of Weissmuller's best stunts and moves in this third act as he travels through New York looking for Boy, this entry is finally doing the classic hero some justice, if not still incomplete.

Out of the few Richard Thorpe movies I've seen, as well as the entire MGM Tarzan series as a whole, I would say that this movie is easily the best of both worlds as far as I've seen. Tarzan 6 is just slightly above Thorpe's Ivanhoe for its plotting, and I'm really happy with the improvements made over the series. They're even right next to each other on my best-to-worst films list right now. This is a well-written, cute and family friendly adventure that compliments Tarzan's character more than insulting him, which the series has been doing for a while.

= 72

Richard Thorpe's Directorial Score (5 Good vs. 2 Bad)

Tarzan's New York Adventure: 72
Ivanhoe: 72
The Sun Comes Up: 63
Challenge to Lassie: 61
Tarzan Escapes: 50

Average Score: 63.6 / 5

Richard Thorpe moves from #230 to #202 on my best directors list between Renny Harlin and Tod Browning.

Now's a good time to explain my best and worst directors lists rules so there's no confusion.

1. A director must have at least three movies to qualify for either. This is to ensure that directors who keep making movies are not overshadowed by directors who only made a couple, based on the premise that constant quality control or the constant lack thereof is a trait of one of the best or worst.
  2. No less than 3 movies can make the list, and no more than the top or bottom five.
  3. The list that a director appears on is decided by the number of good movies vs. the number of bad ones. If there's more good than bad, the director goes on the best list, and vise-versa.
  4. On the best list, the top 3-5 movies will be counted, and on the worst list the worst 5 will be counted. These movies will receive an average score that decides the position of the director.
  5. Although the minimum amount of movies is 3, the directors with 5 films will still have priority over the ones with 4, and the ones with 4 have priority over three. As such, they will be grouped by the highest WHOLE NUMBER.
  6. Directors with the same score will be ordered based on the positions of their best movie on my movies list, with the top movie giving the director priority, and lowest position for the worst directors.
  7. A movie scored 50 or higher qualifies as a good movie.
  8. If a director receives a score less than 50 on the best list despite having two movies scoring 50 or higher, the director will be given a merit minimum of 50 points. And if a director on the worst list scores over 50, the director will be given a score of 49.9. The amount of movies directed still has priority in placing the directors.
  9. If a director scores the same score three times, and it is their highest or lowest score depending on the list, that score will remain permanent until a better movie or worse movie is made. In the events of directors with the 100's or three 0's, the director's position may never change.

The Untouchables
(1987) - Directed by Brian De Palma
Cop / Crime / Historical Drama
"I want to get Capone. I don't know how to do it."

I've been very slow in my De Palma exploration, and I need to get through a few more before I really consider myself educated in his works. Because of two noir games currently on the forums, I've been in a crime mood, and I really wanted to get De Palma's Untouchables out of the way before it was taken off of Prime. Also having discovered the pilot to Lackadaisy, I suddenly grew curious about Prohibition, and decided it was for my good to watch this movie at all educational angles be them historically or cinematically.

The Untouchables recounts the story of treasury agent Eliot Ness who's been given the job of taking down Prohibition mob boss Al Capone. But a couple screw ups prove that he can't do it alone. He hires a ragtag crew from within the police force who work together to try and bring Capone to justice, but also find themselves on the fine line of what the law upholds and how criminal you'd have to go to get your way.

Lemme get my first and foremost focus out of the way: characterization. It was pretty good. It was easy to get behind the characters when they had the screentime to allow for it, especially where Costner's Ness and Connery's Malone were involved. As two differing cops with the same goals, they really brought some beautiful onscreen presence, slightly making up for the fact that Costner is no Connery and the obvious Scottish in Connery's accent despite his Irish part. But the real trouble, and maybe the only real trouble, is the fact that 80% of the plotting goes to Connery and Costner when we get so little Robert De Niro as Al Capone, which is an INCREDIBLE shame because he nails his role without trying. There seriously needed to be more Capone here.

Now for the rest: perfect. At the opening credits we get a very uniue Ennio Morricone intro with seemingly experimental timing. The score switches the vibes and thmes up between the noirish, the classical, the soaring, the mysterious and even the smoothness and jazz. I really loved how far Morricone was willing to go with this score, and it captures every atmospheric angle of the movie.

But the real star of The Untouchables is the plotting. Right from the getgo it makes a point of sucking you into the early 30's crime world. There are a couple of real shockers among the procedural scenes, too. I mean, that opening is enough to just punch you in the gut. Constanlt ywe find a new angle and a new plot device to work with, and things typically take a turn for the more thrilling, not the more dramatic. Through the plotting, De Palma shows off his camera work and direction at some of its absolutel finest, or at least the finest I've been explosed to concerning De Palma's direction. He knows how to direct a scene with perfect flair and never once sacrifices the story or plotting in his efforts to be a visual artist.

Almost perfect and beautifully fleshed out, Untouchables is almost everything I hope for in a great movie. I'd buy this DVD. This is a wonderfully-written crime tale with excellent casting and top-notch direction. De Palma was one of the earliest crime directors of the New Hollywood scene, and he made it perfectly clear with movies like this and Carlito's Way that this is his specialty.

= 96

Brian De Palma's Directorial Score (7 Good vs. 0 Bad)

Carlito's Way: 100
Carrie: 98
The Untouchables: 96
Scarface: 92
Mission: Impossible: 81

Average Score: 93.4 / 5

Brian De Palma's position on my Top Directors List raises from 82 to 38 between Michael Curtiz and Robert Zemeckis. This also eliminates all 6/10 films from his top 5. To achieve a five-star rating, De palma needs a film scoring 89/100 or higher.

Murder à la Mod
(1968) - Directed by Brian De Palma
Crime / Mystery
"What about your integrity? Is THAT cheap?"

Even more interested in Brian De Palma right now after Untouchables, once I get seriously interested in a director I want to check out the director's early history and rise to glory. For example, when I first saw Malcolm X, I checked out Spike Lee's college thesis movie, Joe's Bed-Stuy Barbershop. This time, it was De Palma's Murder à la Mod, which seems to be a commentary on filmmaking itself.

Karen is an aspiring actress who's boyfriend is involved in small-time indiee movies, but she soon finds out that he's being forced via contract to produce porn for the studio employees. Soon after this revelation, Karen ends up murdered, and the movie looks at all of the characters' stories leading up to Karen's murder and what happens afterwards.

So it's pretty obvious that De Palma was trying a bit hard to let fancy imagery pertaining to filmmaking equipment and the camera tricks themselves to speak from a supposedly philosophical standpoint to seem more meaningful than it really is. In other words, he was using experimentation lightly. And while some of these scenes are certainly well filmed, there's very little depth to these scenes, as we're not here for that kind of commentary.

However, one the characterization kicks in (despite the one-sidedness of the characters), there's some surprising depth to their single sides, making the characters and the plot slightly more interesting than these bad actors deserve. It's easy to get invested in the mystery of the murder and the events leading up to it, especially once we get to the second half where all of the characters have their ten-to-fifteen minutes of fame, and the camera is focused on what they were doing when these events transpired. And while these characters aren't amazing in their own right, with one of them just being unrealistically cartoonish, one really wants to see what's going to happen next.

So this movie made the most of lacking depth, bad actors and mysterious plotting, even though none of it was fleshed out very well. For a short indie film, this was more engrossing than it was entertaining, and I commend the strong points of De palma's debut while acknowledging the weaknesses.

= 63

Brian De Palma's directorial score does not change.

Kickboxer: Vengeance
(2016) - Directed by John Stockwell
Martial Arts
"Your brother was brave. He was a warrior. Unlike you, a coward!"

A guy needs his action movies, and sometimes some cheap thrills will satisfy. However, one movie franchise kept constantly failing to satisfy after this first film: Kickboxer. Like the Boston discography, the Kickboxer series was gradually getting worse and worse. Kickboxer 5 was just so horrible and boring that I nearly put it in my bottom 100 movies. Knowing that Kickboxer: Vengeance was a reboot, I was seriously hoping for an improvement to justify the existance of this unfortunately continuing franchise.

This is a reboot of the original film. Kurt Sloane, a martial artist, travels to Thailand to avenge the death of his brother by defeating his killer in combat: Muay Thai legend Tong Po. He's humiliated by the champion fighter and ends up being trained by the same person who trained his brother, while also forming a relationship with a cop on the hunt for Tong Po, and is supposed to arrest him.

Positively, however, I have to call this movie out for the one thing I was seriously hoping would happen: a reboot with some imagination. I mean, after they made it clear that Van Damme's character would have nothing to do with the franchise anymore, it was obvious that the franchise needed a reboot. Then they replaced the replacement three movies later, and that movie was just so ****ing awful that I nearly put it in my bottom 100. They needed to bring back the original Sloane for a new story that would do more with Tong Po, who was a weakass character with no develoment other than “superstrong” and “no honor.” But negatively, there;s still a bit of tropiness here, and I'll cover it gradually.

And guess who they get to play our villain? The only and only Dave Bautista! This guy was my all-time favorite wrestler when I was a kid watching Friday Night Smackdown. I didn't know if he could be that great of an actor at first, and I had my doubts when I saw his commercial for a Smallville appearance as a kid, but apparently it worked out for him as it got him a major role in the MCU. And now he's playing a more developed version of an iconic villain to the cheap-fun action movie fans. The way I see it, a real Van Damme fan should know Tong Po, and how he never once got his full comeuppance. For once in my life, I was excited to see a cheap martial arts movie reboot. To him, strength matters as well as bravery, and he considers the gun itself for cowards. Unfortunately, that's about the only development he gets, but he also has a better actor attacked.

Van Damme also comes back as Erik and Kurt's trainer, Durand. Maybe he's not the best actor, but it's a breathe of fresh air to see him back in the Kickboxer franchise. On top of that, it looks like, considering the type of character he's playing, that Van Damme's taking some time to just be himself. Too bad his character is a massive stereotype as well. The movie is loaded with stereotypical characters who have little development or maybe might put a slight twist on something, so just seeing Van Damme back in Kickboxer isn't exactly the fine wine one expects to sip, but rather a convenient store wine cooler which should satisfy a little for a buck 25.

The story is for the most part the same with a couple little twists. We get a stronger look into the underground of Thailand and its fighting scene, and the sets there as well as the costume design and character designs have some pretty cool autheniticty stemming from a simple and rustic but still cultural perspective. But to be fair, this is about the best thing about the movie. None of this stuff changes the fact that the story is a reboot / rehash.

Okay, so while this is still a pretty typical action movie plot, at least it takes a couple different approaches from the original film in terms of storytelling style. There's a very real chance that a viewer will be disappointed with the familiarity, but this is a massive step forward for the franchise as the reboot was at least two movies later to the party. We get Kurt back, we get some more story and there's better acting and direction.

= 52

John Stockwell needs 1 more film for a directorial score.

After
(2019) - Directed by Jenny Gage
Teen Movie / Romance
"Elizabeth Bennett needs to chill."

So this is a "best-selling worldwide phenomenon," apparently. I mean, not every worldwide phenomenon sells as well as Death Note, so what the hell. It got a bunch of sequels, and maybe, if the sequels are as bad as people say, that I'll get a good laugh out of them. But if I'm gonna start a series that has at least one movie per year, then I might as well get through them all quickly while they're on Netflix.

Tessa has been bred and groomed by her abusive mother to be the perfect school girl. But all it took was one roommate, one party and one encounter with a mysterious young man who both collides and clashes with her to rouse her curiosity.

And if you have a quarter of a brain, you know exactly how this is going to go. I'm not saying anymore about the plot, because it's JUST SO ASTOUNDINGLY SIMPLE. It didn't take me long to figure out why this movie is a worldwide phenomenon: because it's literally every college good girl's story. Like, this movie meets the absolute basics of the type of story it's telling and nothing more. This allows for a lot of relation towards teen girls, but leaves infinite room for creativity and never once uses it. It's a major disappointment.

On top of all of this, the movie is directed with the base level of tolerable cinematic quality. Gage didn't really do anything fancy because she didn't need to. Why would she need to when all of her actors aren't even trying either? Our lead is practically copying Edward from Twilight in appearance and our girl is just a stereotypical Diana Lombard with no real character that we haven't already felt in a hundred movies that had more feeling.

Oh, and you wanna know something hilarious? You know how the aforementioned Twilight was the source for a fanfiction that got turned into Fifty Shades of Grey? THIS MOVIE STEMMED FROM A ****ING ONE DIRECTION FANFICTION! I'm not kidding! Someone literally wrote a crappy romance involving the members of One Direction, and rewrote it into this! Oh my god! I'm sorry, but now it's totally unfair that my fanfiction hasn't gotten turned into its own thing, and it's geared to be an improvement on freakin' Loonatics Unleashed. And you know what? It's FUNNY.

Now that my tirade is done, I gotta say that I found nothing laughable about this movie, as it's just so lifeless in its effort to relate to the total basics of teen girl struggles. You never really "connect" on a deeper level with anyone, and the result is just another generic romance for teen girls.

= 29

Jenny Gage needs 2 more films for an average score.

All This Panic
(2016) - Directed by Jenny Gage
Documentary
"You only want greatness if it's delivered."

You ever heard of that skating documentary Minding the Gap? The one about the skaters going into adulthood? Great documentary. I bring it up for a reason. Before directing the travesty than stemmed from a One Direction fanfic: After, Jenny Gage directed a similar movie over the course of three years. This movie chronicled the relationships of a group of lady friends, notably the sisters Dusty and Ginger, and the different takes on life that they have. Lemma tell you, I was pretty damn interested in this, despite the mixed ratings around the world. RYM thinks it's mediocre, Imdb's lukewarm and Letterboxd loves it.

I think it's an honest look at the kind of things we see happening everyday among families with teen girls trying to live their lives. There's a lot of commentary on the various interpretations on relationships, a la Claire of the Moon, although it really doesn't have that deep philosophical touch, because instead of a bunch of novelists, we're hearing about it from teen girls. So there are pros and cons to the very basis of this documentary. I mean, it's good that these girls are getting their struggles out on camera, but I really don't see how strangers from across the country can help them when they need not only an ear, but advice. It seems that maybe some of these stories going on over three years might be a little too personal at times.

I think this movie fails in comparison to Minding the Gap for two very good reasons. First of all, I didn't really feel like these girls were growing up, not the way Minding the Gap's subjects were. The second reason is that we could feel the struggles more in MtG because we saw them more often. We witnessed some very harsh arguments in that movie. The third reason is probably the most important: the subjects of Minding the Gap are UNIQUE. We don't get a lot of very deep and philosophical movies or documentaries about skaters, and seeing things from their perspective is a viewpoint we rarely see. But like the last movie I reviewed, as well as the last Jenny Gage movie I reviewed, After, this movie really just shows you all the stuff teen girls argue about. In other words, we've kind of heard a fair portion of these discussions and arguments in the real world.

I think Jenny Gage's auteurist action here had some well-meaning, and it certainly shows in this documentary. We can't really get the full connection without directly being just like them, but there really isn't a story here that can't be fixed with some online research on how to fix families and a few therapy sessions. While I sympathize with these girls for their struggles, and was interested in some of the things they had to say, this is the kind of thing I can get in the real world without making a documentary over it. It's lifelike and real, but not life-changing.

= 63

Jenny Gage needs 2 more movie for an average score.

Napoleon
(2023) - Directed by Ridley Scott
War / Historical Drama / Romance / Biopic / Epic
"You're nothing without me."

I've been looking forward to Ridley Scott's Napoleon for a while, especially considering the history of Napoleon movies, minus the forgotten one about the dog in the hot air balloon... and the one with Jon Heder. See, I watched the silent film from the 20's, wehich was five-and-a-half hours long, right after having finished the novel War and Peace. I learned to love it very quickly, forgiving its runtime thanks to its historical detail and characterization, as well as its revolutionary cinematography. Kubrick wanted to do a TV series expanding on what this film had done, but never finished it. Since the man who made his mark on the world with a French Revolution film as his debut had gotten a hold of it, it was time for me to check out The Duellists in preparation for this. I planned to see it on opening day, and I'm back from the theaters to write this review.

This gives us a look at Napoleon's six different battles from the Siege of Toulon all the way to Waterloo. During this time we see the progression of his relationship with his wife, and its eventual fall, as well as his decline in popularity and his fall from grace after having conquered much of Europe.

The wartime scenes are probably the biggest selling point here. Ridley Scott fans, history buffs and Joaquin Phoenix fans aren't "high selling" demographics to the mass market, so what's left is the "michael Bay SFX" of the history scene: good ol' fashion Mister Torgue explosions. But Ridley makes a point of making war scenes more about the unadulterated horrors of the battlefield. There are levels of detailed gore here that probably shouldn't be allowed anywhere. How did they get violence this realistic WITHOUT harming anyone? And there are even hallucinogenic visuals that go hand in hand with the violence, allowing Ridley to boast some of his greatest touches of art and direction here. Some is easily better than the groundbreaking 20's film, although I don't know if this movie has anything "groundbreaking" period, just very good for our time.

Unfortunately, among the extremely detailed history that gives us the full scoop of the Wikipedia articles, and the incredible direction of war scenes, we get a basic and under-explored recreation of napoleon's relationship with his wife. There are some bare essentials that I won't bother spoiling, but it tells me that the characterization of the movie wasn't given any true focus. Honestly, that's gotta be the biggest flaw here. This epic needed character development. I mean, movies like this attract Dances With Wolves fans, so there's no reason an extra half-hour at the very least couldn't have been put here for characterization.

Ridley Scott, being the history buff he is, really did his research into both filmmaking and history here, and from both perspectives the director paid off in almost full. But lacking characterization gets in the way of this being one of his absolute best. Either way, I liked the movie and I'm eager for a possible extended DVD edition. This doesn't hold a candle to the 1927 film, but it's a good modern day movie for people who likely don't want a five-and-a-half hour silent film to get their history lesson.

= 82

Ridley Scott's directorial score does not change. It is still 94.6 / 5.

Does it come as any surprise to anyone here that I enjoy a good cheesefest? I've seen countless B-movies, largely of the brand of Band, a.k.a. Full Moon Features, and many others who followed suite like Fred Olen Ray and Dustin Ferguson. But I never said I considered these movies to be good ones, at least not usually. But it doesn't always have to be bad SFX and intentional poor quality. Sometimes, a good B-movie comes from something doomed to fail, but with an incredible level of effort put into it. Such movies become cult classics, and very few of these movies ever get me to watch it again. This is a tale of one such special movie, one with big problems but big strong points. And I mean FREAKISHLY big strong points.

Warriors of Virtue
(1997) - Directed by Ronny Yu
Portal Fantasy / Martial Arts / Family
"To take a life, you lose a part of yourself."

So, take Ninja Turtles, add an A-Movie studio with Power Rangers B-actors, write a knockoff of The Neverending Story, give us a villain who's essentially Loki, and you get one of the most well-directed dorkfests of the 90's. Warriors of Virtue is a forgotten movie with a large amount of effort put into the production value, one with costumes almost as good as the ones from the earlier costume-driven film Nightbreed. But its story needs some work.

Middle-schooler Ryan has a limp and can't play sports, which he thinks will help him fit in. But he still has friends in odd places, like his martial artist / chef friend Ming, who gives him a rare book which he thinks will help Ryan with his life. When Ryan gets a chance to hang with the teen football players, he falls down a whirlpool in a water plant and ends up in the world of Tao, where he meets up with the guardians of that world: five Roo warriors who defend their people from the maniacal tyrant Komodo (not a lizard, human). He soon finds out that the only way to truly beat Komodo is to unlock the secrets of that book: the "manuscript of legend," which ends up in the hands of Komodo.

This movie is basically all about energy told through the spectacle of production. We see some expertly-directed scenes in this debut of Ronny Yu, later known for Fearless. I mean, only Yu would put so much passion into directed a montage of a martial arts master using his skills in the kitchen. The flashiness of these action sequences still has the general behavior of 80's and 90's martial arts cheese, but each scene is handled professionally, which means the spectacle here is lived up to the fullest potential that 90's family films would allow. On top of that, we get a careful balance of colors through some highly convincing set pieces, which is probably the best thing about the movie. Obviously, Ronny Yu did the absolute best that he could've done with what he was given.

Unfortunately, there are a couple of problems. First of all, our out-of-whack story really does need some fleshing out. While it's not a horrible story and there are some decent moments, the whole of story-world concept wasn't given the care that was needed. I mean, seriously? You couldn't think of anything besides "manuscript of legend?" Auryn, anybody? On top of that, while we have much better kangaroo costumes than Tank Girl, we also have some pretty cheap acting. The cast of the kangaroos were not given enough character development to work with, and our villain, who easily has the worst dialogue in the movie (do not think thoughts???) is basically a bad proto-Loki and Angus MacFadyen performance so poor it's often laugh-inducing.

I enjoyed it slightly more on the first watch for the surprise, but there really wasn't much of a downgrade here after this second watch. So Warriors of Virtue is basically a movie strictly for a Power Rangers fan. it's got most of the ingredients necessary for Power Rangers, but with an impressive production level. Yu justified his existence in Hollywood with his direction, although we rarely heard much from the four Law brothers who created the characters, largely because these characters were as thrown together for the 90's anthro buzz the same way Street Sharks and Biker Mice from Mars was, only being more tolerable. In other words, it's a great B-movie, although it's still not a great movie in general.

= 62

Ronny Yu's Directorial Score (3 Good vs. 0 Bad)

Freddy Vs. Jason: 75
Bride of Chucky: 63
Warriors of Virtue: 62

Score: 66.66 / 3

Lowering the movie 2 points brings Ronny Yu's position on the best directors list down from 191 to 197 between Rob Cohen and Michael Bay.

Le Samourai
(1967) - Directed by Jean-Pierre Melville
Polar / Neo-Noir / Crime
"Nothing to say?"

Le Samourai is one of the pure classics of 1960's French cinema, and believe it or not, it was pretty difficult to find. I started this movie right off the back of Rififi, a movie full of story development, utilizing all three kinds of pacing, and fleshing out the characters well enough to relate to. There's a decent chance it'll end up on my film noir ballot. So I already had a movie that came really close to my ideals of perfect cinema to compare this movie to. But considering that many websites seemed to favor this one, I was hoping that it would beat Rififi in every way.

Jef Costello is a pro hitman who's good at creating alibis. Unfortunately, someone spotted him during his last kill, and now the cops are tailing him, which is exactly why his previous contractor wants his dead. Now being hunted by everyone except his girlfriend, he's gotta be on his toes everywhere he goes.

The most important and even the most beloved factor of this movie seems to be its “cool” mood. This is a tale of an average assassin trying to avoid detection and the people he's connected with as well as the people he's trying to find. And this movie does an excellent job with it. Whatever scenes don't involve the cool, weird and jazzy music relies on this mood to help you relate to the lead character, as you kind of want to be in his “cooler than thou” shoes.

But PLEASE flesh out the characters more! If there's one thing I can't stand in a movie, it's underdeveloped and tropy characters. There's barely any imagination to them. So the point of this movie is to use slow-pace to tell as little story as possible without overdoing the slow-pace and cool mood? I'll be honest. I really do feel like I could've written this movie. And I'm not saying that because I agree that it's great cinema. I think YOU could write it, I think your teenage daughter could write it, I think it's just too simple for me to even compare to movies like Rififi. In fact, lemme mention a movie I put in the same league as Rififi: Army of Shadows, also directed by Melville. That's a movie with a cool mood AND constant plot development.

Thankfully, whatever scenes did have story handled it as realistically as possible, and with all of the proper dialogue as well. That's another strong point of the movie which keeps it from being out right boring, as much if the tension in these scenes relies on dialogue, if not also revealing how tropy these characters can be as well.

I'm glad I finally got this movie out of the way, but if I really had to compare it to another movie, I'll compare it to one that also fixates on slow-pacing to deliver moods, lacking story in comparison to other movies of its type, and one that's relatable through realism: Jeanne Dielman. I'm putting this movie slightly above Jeanne Dielman.

Jean-Pierre Melville's Directorial Score (3 Good vs. 0 Bad)

Army of Shadows: 98
The Silence of the Sea: 76
Le Samourai: 72

Score: 82 / 3

Jean-Pierre Melville is placed on my best directors list at #126 between Dominic Polcino and Don Siegel.

Blow Out
(1981) - Directed by Brian De Palma
Mystery / Neo-Noir / Psycho-Thriller
"Ya know, the only trouble I ever got into was when I was TOO careful!"

This noir thing going on Movieforums right now is probably our most important buzz for a while. We currently have three games dedicated to the genre: the noir countdown, the neo-noir countdown and the HoF, and it's sucking me in. This is really helping me with completing my MoFo challenge lists as well, so I'm attempting to watch one classic noir and one neo-noir a day. Today's classic was Notorious, which is a good spy movie but not even in close to Vertigo. Instead, since I've made a point of closely following De Palma, I'm gonna review the neo-noir for today: Blow Out. I chose this one not only for the noir games, but because this is apparently the highest-rated De palma movie on Letterboxd, a site I use often.

Jack is a sound effects provider for a movie studio, and he seems to enjoy the job. Put things take a turn for the worst when he steps outside with his equipment, and accidentally catches a gunshot before witnessing a car accident. Saving the girl in the car, he finds out the dead man in the car was Governor McRyan. But the cops don't want him to even mention the girl, and nobody wants to believe there was a gunshot. But it's not long before he realizes he's being watched, and that the girl he saved is more deeply involved in the potential murder than she even knows.

Now if you've been reading my reviews, you'd probably know that I've been keeping a scored list of the best directors, taking their top three-to-five and calculating an average rating, all for the fun of it. The score for De Palma, before watching this movie, was 93.4 / 5, so to get a five-star rating (95 or higher), he needs a movie with a score of 89 or higher to overtake the last movie in his top five. Will it happen this time?

Apparently this movie is a loose and thematic remake of the 1966 movie Blowup. I didn't know that before watching this, so I may have made a mistake. I'll be sure to watch Blowup over the weekend. But this doesn't mean I didn't get anything out of this movie because I didn't see another movie first. In fact, I was put in a constant state of in-your-face thrills.

A similar movie I gave a 100 rating for is The Conversation, a movie about a surveillance investigator who overheard a conversation that he believes will lead up to murder. So while watching Blow Out, I spent the whole movie comparing it to The Conversation, measuring its fear tactics, story consistency, everything. In the end, watching a similarly-themes but completely unrelated movie is exactly what helped me get the fullest experience this movie offered.

Like I said, I was in a constant state of thrills. Brian De Palma's direction was extremely artistic but carefully paced. This helped to make even scenarios that might seem boring, like recording sound effects, fill to the brim with a sense of nocturnal mystique or even occasionally the underground aesthetic. Every genre that was used as influence was at the mercy of Vilmos Zsigmond's cinematography, whether accompanied by Pino Donaggio's wacky but moody noir music or given the silent treatment. So while this movie certainly has some focus on the cool factor, the most important thing is that the cool factor never detracted from any other aspect. Even down to those painful last two minutes, the cinematography was always perfect. This was the kind of movie that left me so hurt that I didn't even quit the movie when the credits rolled. I soaked in the music, waiting for the feeling to go away naturally.

This sense of art from De Palma, Zsigmond and Donaggio worked beautifully with a very realistic movie that handles conspiracy on a smaller scale than the blockbuster, giving it that approach while tackling these things from a psychological perspective. The stakes we see aren't always as mysterious as in The Conversation, but they certainly are more relevant to the plot of Blow Out. And our lead lightning rod for our relation to the realism, John Travolta, effortlessly gives us the proper acting needed to feel what he as an average human being feels. He didn't even need to try. While the other actors all did good jobs at the roles they were given, as well as the development therein, I felt that giving Travolta the lead role was the best decision. And it's also very interesting to see Lithgow in this early role as a psychopath. I mean, I always knew he could play one from the obnoxiousness he displayed on 3rd Rock from the Sun, but to see him pull it off so much earlier in his career was what made it intriguing.

Blow Out beats The Conversation in most of the criteria I set up for comparing the two movies. I think I should've gotten to this movie a lot sooner, as it provided me with the best experience I could've asked for this conspiracy thriller: realistic, artistic and emotional. This Hitchcockian experience is totally a must-see, and I hope it gets a good position on the neo-noir charts. Now I think my next neo-noir will be De Palma's Body Double.

= 100

Brian De Palma's Directorial Score (9 Good vs. 1 Bad)

Blow Out: 100
Carlito's Way: 100
Carrie: 98
The Untouchables: 96
Scarface: 92

Average Score: 97.2 / 5

By knocking Mission Impossible out of the top five, Brian De Palma's position on my Top Directors List raises from 39 to 17 between Stanley Kubrick and Ingmar Bergman.

Now I won't be finishing the movie I'm watching this night, but I'll give you a hint, and it's more metaphorical than you think.

I remember an episode of a cartoon that's helped me with some of my stories: OK KO. It's a cartoon about superheroes who all work in a plaza, and one kid who works in a bodega there. KO and his friend Dende, a kappa girl, find that POW cards, a series of trading cards with official heroes and power levels on them, do not include kappas because of an old stereotype involving a myth about kappas eating people. This leads them to nearly throw all their POW cards away, but they struggle with it because POW cards are how they united as friends. They change their goal to changing the POW card company to teach them why the action is wrong as opposed to just throwing the cards away and letting the evil continue. They decided to "embrace the good while acknowledging the bad."

In a way, this is what critics do everyday, but the real challenge is a personal one: separating the art from the artist. This is what happens when morality becomes a leading factor. In some cases, the overall message is the evil that leads people to even ignore good filmmaking quality. Because this notion is often portrayed by radical reviewers who keep things black-and-white with no regard for the complexity of the world as detailed by live itself (and even Donnie Darko's speech), I feel that this attempt at "punishing" something defeats honesty and the purpose of right and wrong overall. The next excuse is often "enjoyment being defeated by the morality," but this still relies on an overpowering of a person's "feelings." In other words, it's discrimination. So in a total irony, I'm going to review one of the most controversial films in history, one that is often discriminated for its message, which, ironically, is something I just spoke against: discrimination.

The Birth of a Nation
(1915) - Directed by D.W. Griffith
War / Historical Drama / Melodrama / Epic / Propaganda
"I shall deal with them as though they had never been away."

A part of me can't believe I watched this movie. It might have something to do with the movie's strange history, or maybe it's the fact that it's a three-hour silent movie with in-the-know rep in general, or maybe it has something to do with the confidence I feel at this point in my life to judge this movie properly. I haven't really felt this way since I first saw Abel Gance's Napoleon. Or maybe it's because I never really decided to watch something pro-KKK or anything like that before. I always knew I'd judge it for the technicality as well as the message, but still, I've never made this decision before. Nevertheless, I'd review it as fairly as I do anything else.

A man from the North and a women from the South fall in love during the late stages of the Civil War, and it's not long before Abraham Lincoln is shot. With the South now in economic turmoil, and some angry African-Americans wanting to push white men out of power, it's not long before the brother of our Southern lady, Ben, declares war on the free black men of the South by forming the Ku Klux Clan.

I suppose one must get this out of the way as soon as possible, especially if you don't know yet. The movie's pro-white supremacy. And it paints a bad picture for modern Southerners, especially conservatives. The one who actually taught me that racism existed and agreed that it was one of the stupidest things on Earth was a Southern conservative: my father. And lemme tell you, he never would've let me watch this, even for a film class. And this is the same man who recommended Bicycle Thieves to me when I asked him about his choices for the greatest movies ever.

You wants some examples on its supremacy? Well, first and foremost, even though the Klan doesn't really show up until the third act, the KKK is seen as a heroic force throughout its screen time. I mean, the whole save-the-damsel thing kind of cemented it. And the intertitles often have some nice words to say about them. On top of that, the intertitles throw in a negative phrasing or two concerning the Radical Republicans who wanted to punish the South. The other great example of this bull is how African-Americans are depicted as, and as an autistic man I'm being kind, special. They walk around like they don't know anything, and yet their economy relied on them knowing how to do these jobs.

And number 3: white men in blackface because there's no way they could get that many black people to star in this kind of movie. You can even point them out. To me this is a moral AND movie-making flaw. The same movie that pioneered making a few people look like hundreds of people couldn't think to just have one actor look a little different with make-up and a fake mustache? Honestly? It makes the scene from Babylon about the black guy being given blackface to look "more black" feel so insignificant that it might as well not even take the form of a grain of dirt on our Earth. That scene might as well not exist.

OK, and now for the technical stuff.

The sad truth is you can be skilled at one thing and suck at another. You can have immoral beliefs and still be a talented filmmaker. And The Birth of a Nation likely stands as the greatest reminder of this irony. Its technical achievements have been constantly replicated over the last 108 years for more humane cinema, and some inhumane cinema.

First and foremost: this is one of the first cinematic epics. AN "epic" is described as a dramatic movie with a large and dramatic scale, often defined lengthy spectacle-oriented shots and bombastic music, to put it very simply. The "sword and sandal" genre is even defined as a subgenre of this on RY, although I disagree, as many peplums are simply adventure or action-adventure, but I digress.

The war scene, as I have said, shows D.W. Griffith literally inventing the first methods of making a few people look like hundreds of people through editing. This is a major success for the movie's technical achievements and does help the grand scale of the war scene, and several other scenes for their runtime (or until the charm of the scene runs out due to excessive length).

This movie also had a fixation on how to apply the camera itself for an emotional tool. First-person shots are very common with this movie, and through that we can see the emotions of these struggling people and, from economic experience, we can relate to these people well enough. Thankfully, this movie also has an obsession with narrative. While stories from back then hardly had a lot of character, the one-sides we get mingle with each other in ways we very easily understand, because we're kind of going through some of these things on a much smaller scale, although we feel the stress of these things. Having said that, this is mostly from an economic standpoint. We don't rely on slaves but we know all about economic failure.

When it comes to racial stuff, it's impossible to relate to Ben in his KKK scenes. But I also felt a sense of disappointment during the scene in which many Northern white men were being punished out of office by the some of those from black community, despite the fact that the North set them free. You don't want anyone dead for that or anything, but if I were a Northern at that time, I know I'd be saying, "What the hell? We literally free these guys and this is how they repay us? What would their families and friends say about this?"

But I really have to say: there's another problem with this movie. On the subject of Napoleon, the 1927 movie was five-and-a-half hours long, and it never once felt drawn out or overlong. The first act of this film really does feel that way, especially the war scene. The other acts don't draw out quite as long, but the movie still suffers from it. While it's certainly trying its hardest to rely on plot, there are so many characters with one side of development that it still feels either half-full or three-quarters full. The war scene in the first act might've been a pioneering feat which would be replicated much later on, notably when editing the movie to make a few people look like hundreds, but the scene recycled shots and what not. Honestly, no matter how flashy it was at the time, to me, you might as well be filming another action sequence from Ultraviolet.

Well, on the moral side, The Birth of a Nation is misguided and offensive. On the technical side, this is grandiose, innovative and detailed. As an analytical man, I will not be joining either the love train or the hate train. I won't be saying, "this is absolute dogshit for its messages and there are no excuses for it" or "this is one of the most influential movies of our time and stands as a keen reminder of the expectations and beliefs of the time." This is an innovative movie by a misguided man who liked a misguided novel and adapted it to the big screen. No more, no less. In the art of moviemaking, the technicality matters more. A message is one part of a whole movie, and while the movie acknowledges economic turmoil, it should NOT be promoting this KKK garbage. So any merit the economic statements might've had are countered by the racial statements.

From a personal, and maybe even religious viewpoint, even if some of the economics of the Confederacy had plausibility when used in other methods, you'd think that the people reading the Moses story would realize that slavery didn't work out before. It's the destiny of the descendants of the Israelites to sin and be taught a lesson in a neverending cycle, but having become the Egyptians themselves is exactly why they lost. I can only hope for the day when good, honest non-racial Southern conservative like my dad don't get slack for the sins of their ancestors anymore.

= 77

D.W. Griffith needs 1 more movie for a directorial score.

Broken Blossoms
(1915) - Directed by D.W. Griffith
Melodrama
"They'll HANG yer!"

I'm going to give D.W. Griffith a score today, since I found myself in the mood for silent movies, and I found one of his shorter movies on Tubi: Broken Blossoms. This one's much shorter than the other one I found there: Intolerance, so I'm gonna start with this one. But this will be a short review.

Broken Blossoms centers around three people: an abusive boxer, a girl abused by her father, and a Chinese Buddhist who wants to spread the words of peace throughout the crime-ridden American streets. Eventually, he comes across the girl and does what he can to protect her. But things end badly when the father gets the wrong idea about their relationship.

I can only imagine how heavy this must've been in the 1910's. Not only is this story of abuse towards young women realistic, but certain directorial approaches bring out the absolute worst in this theme, such as having the angry father facing the camera in a menacing way. And even though this guy wasn't the best actor, he did a good enough job where it counted. So throughout this story, one would be expecting our Chinese hero to swoop in and save the girl, only to be sorely disappointed.

The thing I was most disappointed in was the fact that this movie is being tagged as a romance. They're BARELY anything happening between Cheng and Lucy. They see each other once and suddenly this is supposed to convince me that this is blossoming into a real relationship? I knew the story was simple and had some power because of it, but this is a bit much in the vein of simplicity, and worth at least a full star off of the score. In fact, more of the story was about boxing.

This review can't possibly be as analytical as my review for The Birth of a Nation because there isn't much to analyze. Broken Blossoms had a lot of potential, but without fleshing out all the other elements needed to compete with the giants of its time, this movie's gonna remain a novelty for silent movie fans to only possibly check out, and likely if they're admirers of D.W. Griffith's technical achievements, many of which have already been seen in earlier movies. It's a heartbreaking story, but only because of two people, where the third one, our nomad, has practically no effect on most of the movie.

= 63

D.W. Griffith's Directorial Score (2 Good vs. 1 Bad)

The Birth of a Nation: 77
Broken Blossoms: 63
Home, Sweet Home: 35

Score: 59.33 / 3

D.W. Griffith debuts on the Best Directors list at #243 between Andrew V. McLaglen and Dominic Sena.

Intolerance
(1916) - Directed by D.W. Griffith
Historical Drama / Melodrama / Epic / Romance / Anthology
"God! Don't let them do it!"

I decided to get one more D.W. Griffith movie review out of the way before I switch to another silent director, as I feel a need to explore Abel Gance more, having loved the only two Gance movies I've seen so far. Now D.W. Griffith is considered one of the earliest giants in film. But I feel that he's a better moviemaker than he is a storyteller, so the three films I've seen so far: The Birth of a Nation, Broken Blossoms and Home Sweet Home were all underwhelming in one way or another. So what was to come of his second most famous movie, Intolerance? Was I gonna be wasting my time with another overrated piece of history, or was I finally going to end up loving one of Griffith's movies? I kinda get Walter Hill vibes from Griffith, as many of his movies were underwhelming to me despite the status, like 48 Hours and The Warriors. But I did love Southern Comfort's thrills, so let's see.

Intolerance is a thematic piece of art combining, and often shifting through four different stories in four different periods of time: the story of Jesus, the war between Babylon and Persia between the kings Belshazzar and Cyrus, the events leading up to the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre in France, and an original tale about a lonely woman who's life comes crumbling down as her criminal husband is falsely accused of murder. And all of these movies tell stories of how people suffer because of simple-minded reasons for intolerance, notably class-related or even cultural.

First, let us all meditate on the vast, demonic powers that be which ensured that D.W. Griffith, director of Birth of a Nation, wrote a movie criticizing intolerance.

And now to get a little more serious.

Intolerance is a film Griffith made as a response to the controversy surrounding Birth of a Nation. Honestly, this guy shouldn't have been surprised. But I guess this response to backlash is a hell of a lot more positive than Uwe Boll's threats to box critics. Besides, even the best of people can make a movie about tolerance, and it's not exactly a controversial message. But what about the best of MOVIEMAKERS as opposed to the best of people?

The theme works on a variety of emotional levels. It tackles real history with some fictionalization which steers a little close to home. One story is a modern day one about false accusations, which I myself relate to because I have a serious problem with the existence of the concept. The music on the Tubi stream is purely epic, adventurous and melancholic, and it's all flowing perfectly with every scene of abuse, depression, war and even more. There are plenty of scenes here which will keep your eyes glued, especially if you're a humanist or a history buff. In fact, the war scenes during the Babylon segments are incredible. The use of sets, editing and smoking creates scenarios of entire epic backdrops of castles smoking as people are running away. Buildings crumble with artistic flair, and it tells me that this had to be a first in the world of cinema. This movie was pulling off certain feats that Birth of a Nation, in all its cinematic advancements, didn't achieve. There was literally a moment during the establishing celebration shot at the beginning of act two where I froze. I just froze at the site of it. There are even very short but impressive early attempts at choreographed dance scenes involving this scope of cinematography or close range shots of multiple dancers.

Now one criticism I do have is that the Jesus segments aren't given enough screentime. I mean, we've already seen Jesus on the screen by that point. We even had Giulio Antamoro's Christus film that same year. But it wasn't a very good one. It had some fancy direction and a very basic approach. If this movie put just a little more time into it, say bring in some scenes involving Judas, then its fourth segment would stand out, especially considering that most Jesus adaptations aren't exactly known for being groundbreaking cinema. This is a real shame because, like the other segments in the film, the costumes, sets and actors are at the top of their game. The onscreen presence, combined with the direction and music, create a cinematic atmosphere that the Bible story can't get these days. At least the prosecution of Jesus is placed in a more dramatic part of the movie where the endings mold into the theme.

Okay, I'll get behind the historical relevance of this movie. Every technical feat that Birth of a Nation achieved was improved on and shamed by Intolerance. This feels kind of like the very first "movie," as it's not just a filmed 40+ minute story told through a camera. This is all about the art of presentation, be it the visuals, the themes and the emotions that we feel through the characters. And no politics attached, just humanity this time. If not for the underusage of the Jesus segments, this would be absolutely flawless, so I feel it's only right to give this movie, applying so many new techniques to maximum effect regardless of the flaw, the barest minimum of a five-star rating I can apply.

= 95

D.W. Griffith's Directorial Score (3 Good vs. 1 Bad)

Intolerance = 95
The Birth of a Nation = 77
Broken Blossoms = 63
Home, Sweet Home = 35

Score: 67.5 / 4

D.W. Griffith moves up on the Best Directors List from #243 to #199 between Kevin Kolsch and Sylvester Stallone.

The Tenth Symphony
(1918) - Directed by Abel Gance
Melodrama / Romance / French Impressionism
"He and society, will they forgive your crime?"

Having found myself in a very rare mood for silent films, I am focusing on the possibility of constructing a list of my top 50 movies of the 1910's. I guess something rare came out of my D.W. Griffith marathon. But who I really wanted to focus on was Abel Gance, director of the brilliant silent films Napoleon and J'Accuse. I am honestly extremely happy to find The Tenth Symphony. I was afraid the only other Abel Gance movie I had access to was The Wheel, which is 4 1/2 hours on the easiest cut to find, and apparently the most complete edition is SEVEN HOURS. Having said that, if it came to that, I would watch the whole thing in three days just as I did with Satantango. But if possible I'd like to find ANY movie I can by a director I admire and haven't explored thoroughly, even if the only movie I can find stinks. Many of the Abel Gance movies on Archive.org are in French and don't have English subtitles. So I'm extremely happy that someone uploaded The Tenth Symphony onto YouTube with English subtitles.

Eve is an orphan in a relationship with Fred Rice, who manipulates her into murdering her sister and blackmailing her. Unwilling to comply with his demands, she pays him off to let her go. A couple years later, she marries Enric, a struggling composer who already has a young daughter getting ready for the world. But Rice becomes the girl's new fiancee, and Eve will take whatever steps are necessary to stop the marriage, even if it means killing herself. Eventually, Enric finds out about her past relationship and is lead to believe that Eve still loves Rice, which leads him to finish his music out of depression.

This is considered to be the first French Impressionist film, and there are many scenes which show early visual tricks for symbolic and emotional purposes. Some of these scenes feel a little cartoonish, but others have a strong sense of mystique. Within the first few minutes of the storytelling, I felt like I was going to be hooked. It sets up the moods necessary for personal intrigue and crime plotting. Unfortunately, after the first ten minutes, there was a scene that dragged on a bit too long, and that told me it was going to be common throughout the whole movie. And both pros and cons either shined or dimmed throughout the whole.

I suppose my favorite part of the movie is Eve's characterization. She's an unstable woman who's willing to even kill herself in manipulative efforts to bring someone down with her. This defines at least a good half of the story, and keeps things more interesting when the movie doesn't feel jumbled. I suppose it's all consistent storytelling, but the only one who really shines as a character is Eve. The end result is detailed storytelling which loses some of its emotional grip. But I commend Abel Gance for trying to tell a more packed story than what was normal for the era. Hell, the 1911 movie The Black Dream was a 15-minute story that was told across 53 minutes.

The final thing I should mention is the score. The music is grandiose and quite engaging, much more emotional than the movie is sometimes. But despite the skill present in the score, this is also a flaw as the music is more melodramatic than what the story calls for in many occasions. This brings another movie, The Outsiders by Coppola, which originally had a very emotional score by Carmine Coppola, Francis' father, which Coppola wasn't really happy with and changed after Carmine's death. This also brings to mind Karl Bohm's 1971 version of Mozart's Requiem, which displays a plethora of emotions with exceptional delivery, but also bears the flaw of forgetting that these happy, angry, sad and intriguing emotional sounds are playing a REQUIEM MASS, which Karajan certainly never forgot when recording his 1987 masterpiece.

Well, this certainly isn't the quality I was hoping for from an Abel Gance classic, but it certainly has its merits as a fairly well-directed French Impressionist piece. But as a story, it's standard drama that we see all the time. In fact, the subplot of finishing a classical piece wasn't fully necessary. It has good acting and music to keep it watchable, but in comparison to other movies of its time, everything about it save the music was already beaten by Intolerance. This really isn't getting the score I was hoping to give it to get Abel Gance on my best directors list, so I'll just have to hope the other Gance movies I have access to can live up to Gance's two perfect silent war movies.

= 63

Abel Gance's Directorial Score (3 Good vs. 0 Bad)

Napoleon: 100
J'Accuse: 100
The Tenth Symphony: 63

Score: 87.66 / 3

Abel Gance debuts on my Best Directors List at #82 between James Gunn and Byron Howard.