3. Spirited Away
4. Fantastic Mr. Fox
5. The Triplets of Belleville
6. Waltz with Bashir
7. Mary and Max
8. $9.99
9. Princess Mononoke
10. Fritz the Cat

And anything by the Quay Brothers and Jan Svankmajer.

Overrated: Up

A loving heart is the truest wisdom.
1. Beauty and the Beast
2. Princess Mononoke
3. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
4. The Little Mermaid
5. Castle in the Sky
6. My Neighbor Totoro
7. Hercules
8. Anastasia
9. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (flawed but still one of my favorites)
10. Kiki's Delivery Service

Overrated: The Lion King.

I'm also not too fond of the Walt Disney era movies like Snow White, Cinderella, and Peter Pan. None of them are bad but they haven't aged all that well in my opinion.

I thought wreck it ralph was actually really goood. I forgot about while making my list up top.

G, How can you say Spirited Away is 10 times better than anything on my list when even you ranked Grave of the Fireflies higher than it in your OWN list
Ok. Better than the first 9 combined.

Which is incomplete, so I won't reveal it here

Instead, what about a top10 of overrated animations? Just for the fun, I'll do a best to worst format:

1- The lion king
2- Akira
3- When the wind blows
4- Howl's moving castle
5- Frozen
6- Evangelion 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance
7- Alice
8- The cat returns
9- Origin: Spirits of the past
10- Fire and ice
Akira, Evangelion 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance and Howl's Moving Castle are great films. All on my top 200. True, Akira is lacking in character development but criticizing it for that reason is like criticizing Tokyo Story for it's lack of action scenes. Howl's Moving Castle doesn't make sense but it's a film like an animated version of 8 1/2, a tour of emotions (the writer of the Ghibli blog that make that comparison http://ghiblicon.blogspot.com/).

And Eva 2.0 is certainly weaker than the TV series, but I regard the TV series as one of the most impressive works ever made in the medium of animation, very few things can be compared to it (in more objective terms, maybe the two greatest works in the animation/comic book medium are the Nausicaa manga and Evangelion), taken as an individual movie, it's better than 97% of all movies I know, and now, after watching a ton of anime, rewatching Evangelion shows how great the whole thing is, Miyazaki has great respect for Hideaki Anno (who he put as the voice actor in The Wind Rises) and Evangelion, a giant robot TV cartoon, may possibly be the single most ambitious work in the field of cinema ever attempted (it's ambitions are incredible when I read interviews about it (http://loopingworld.com/2013/04/27/e...istic-tension/), truly the work of art that defined the life of it's maker, in several ways). Anno said that he is making the Rebuilt films to make Evangelion more accessible (and he himself, though, has changed over these 15 years which affected his work as well) and EVA 2.0 is the best out of the 3 movies at this point in time.

The others that I have seen, I agree that they are overrated, Lion King is a movie that's loved by many because of it's epic quality but I personally didn't like it very much (it felt a bit forced).

Well no surprises to throw out, but here we go. No particular order,

Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Kung Fu Panda 2
The Man Who Planted Trees (1987)
Grave of the Fireflies
Heavy Metal
Yellow Submarine
Beauty and the Beast
Wall-E
Akira
I think I need to watch Beauty and the Beast again, given it's so loved by people who like other animations I also love (and I noticed that you are graduated in film, so you really understand a lot about movies ).

Also, + Rep for The Man Who Planted Trees, truly a great film that not many people talk about, my favorite animated short as well, even better than Tale of Tales.

Im not so well-versed in animation and a lot of them are childhood favorites, but here is my top 10:

1. Akira (1988) by Katsuhiro Ôtomo

2. Spirited Away (2002) by Hayao Miyazaki

3. Princess Mononoke (1997) by Hayao Miyazaki

4. Tale of Tales (1979) by Yuriy Norshteyn

5. Grave of the Fireflies (1988) by Isao Takahata

6. Paprika (2006) by Satoshi Kon

7. Bennys badekar (1971) by Jannik Hastrup and Flemming Quist Møller

8. Wallace & Gromit in The Wrong Trousers (1993) by Nick Park

9. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984) by Hayao Miyazaki

10. Metropolis (2001) by Rintaro

1.Monster Inc
2.Princess Mononoke
3.The Incredibles
4.South Park The Movie
5.The Lion King
6.Persepolis
7.Ratatouille
8.The Great Mouse Detective
9.Up
10.Wreck-It Ralph

(As far as the movies you listed in the OP). Definitely Toy Story for me - I grew up with that one and hit has some good nostalgia. Aladdin wasn't bad either (the Genie and Iago characters were badass) - I'm not big on animated films but I still enjoy re-watching the ones from my kid years every now and then

I'll go with...

Akira
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Tale of Tales
Ratatouille
Horus: Prince of the Sun
The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
Monsters, Inc.
Memories
Princess Mononoke (in spite of the facile ending.)
Allegro Non Troppo

Honorable Mentions:
Fist of the North Star (just a bit too long)
The Incredibles (not sure why I don't quite love this as much as I used to. I may just need a long break from it.)
Aladdin
Pom Poko
Ninja Bugeicho (wasn't sure if I should count it as animation so I left it off)

Shorts:
Minnie the Moocher
The Skeleton Dance
The Old Man of the Mountain
The Battle of Kerzhenets
Water, Water Every Hare
Can't Go Wrong Without You
The Great Piggy Bank Robbery
everything will be ok
The Whale Hunt
Porky Pig's Feat

Most overrated:
Toy Story 3
Ghost in the Shell

Just watched Wind Rises, so I felt I need to remake my top 50, Wind Rises is a masterpiece and easily top 10 material:

1 - Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie (parts 1 & 2)
2 - Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
3 - My Neighbor Totoro
4 - Princess Mononoke
5 - Grave of the Fireflies
6 - Spirited Away
7 - Porco Rosso
8 - The Wind Rises
9 - Only Yesterday
10 - Whisper of the Heart
11 - Kiki's Delivery Service
12 - Castle in the Sky
13 - Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal
14 - Howl's Moving Castle
15 - Millennium Actress
16 - Evangelion 2.0
17 - Children Who Chase Lost Voices From Deep Below
18 - Summer Wars
19 - Scott Tenorman Must Die
20 - The Man Who Planted Trees
21 - Galaxy Express 999
22 - 5 Centimeters per Second
23 - Tale of Tales
24 - Paprika
25 - Summer Days with Coo
26 - Ghost in the Shell
27 - Wings of Honneamise
28 - Castle of Cagliostro
29 - Ponyo
30 - Gauche the Cellist
31 - Hedgehog in the Fog
32 - Akira
33 - Wall-E
34 - Wolf Children
35 - The Place Promised in Our Early Days
36 - Night of the Galactic Railroad
37 - UP
38 - Evangelion 1.0
39 - Horus: Prince of the Sun
40 - Memories
41 - Ratatoille
42 - The Illusionist
43 - From Up on Poppy Hill
44 - The Plague Dogs
45 - Tokyo Godfathers
46 - Dimensions of Dialogue
47 - The Incredibles
48 - Mind Game
49 - Watership Down
50 - Fantasia

Put Galaxy Expresss 999 on 21st place, because it's a classic that deserves to be this high up. Fantasia is also better than The Triplets of Belleville so I decided to kick that film out. Also put WIngs of Honneamise higher than Akira because it's better but also very different (a very slow, arthouse type of film, compared with the busting testosterone of Akira).

I'll go with...

Akira
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Tale of Tales
Ratatouille
Horus: Prince of the Sun
The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
Monsters, Inc.
Memories
Princess Mononoke (in spite of the facile ending.)
Allegro Non Troppo
So few Japanese titles....

Most overrated:
Toy Story 3
Ghost in the Shell
Toy Story 3 is indeed extremely overrated. Toy Story 3 is among the most mediocre films in Pixar's arsenal, not even top 1,000 animated features it should make, it is a competent, average film, just like one out of the hundreds that the US makes every year.

However, Ghost in the Shell is a great film, one of the best science fiction films ever made. So I even upgraded it in my ranking, to 26th place.

I've seen plenty of anime and like some, but yeah I'm not especially a fan in general (though I used to be). Looking at the list again I'm kind of inclined to bump on of the movies for Millennium Actress, which I saw at it's American debut. Speaking of theatrical anime, I first saw Horus on a big screen at a convention about 14 years ago. Also saw The Whale Hunt and a couple other rare Miyazaki shorts (I think they were made specifically for the Ghibli museum) at a festival in N.Y. around that same time.

FWIW here are my most recent thoughts on Ghost in the Shell and why I think it's not a good sci-fi film and not a good film period. I don't really have anything to add to that post at this time. I couldn't find my movie tab post on Toy Story 3 but I don't think I had much to say about it anyway; it's pretty forgettable.

Are you a fan of the Wallace and Gromit shorts?
Certainly. I had The Wrong Trousers in my top 100 list that I made 6 years ago. I think I'd have that in the same category as The Incredibles now. Movies I used to adore and still have a lot of affection for but just maybe have over-watched them for this lifetime (hopefully not). I have to say I was disappointed by that most recent W&G short, however.

1) WALL-E
2) My Neighbour Totoro
3) Pinocchio
4) Grave of the Fireflies
5) Spirited Away
6) Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
7) Toy Story
8) Who framed Roger Rabbit
9) Wallace and Gromit = The curse of the Were Rabbit
10) Princess Mononoke
11) Fantasia
12) Water Babies
13) Shrek
14) Jungle Book
15) Beauty and the Beast
16) Rango
17) Dumbo
18) Up
19) Nightmare before Christmas
20) The Lion King

Overrated

The Incredibles

Certainly. I had The Wrong Trousers in my top 100 list that I made 6 years ago. I think I'd have that in the same category as The Incredibles now. Movies I used to adore and still have a lot of affection for but just maybe have over-watched them for this lifetime (hopefully not). I have to say I was disappointed by that most recent W&G short, however.
The Wrong Trousers is certainly their best for me and the one I have seen the most. Then A Close Shave I think. Although I can't remember that much about the others.

I've seen plenty of anime and like some, but yeah I'm not especially a fan in general (though I used to be). Looking at the list again I'm kind of inclined to bump on of the movies for Millennium Actress, which I saw at it's American debut. Speaking of theatrical anime, I first saw Horus on a big screen at a convention about 14 years ago. Also saw The Whale Hunt and a couple other rare Miyazaki shorts (I think they were made specifically for the Ghibli museum) at a festival in N.Y. around that same time.
But like, if you watched more anime than western animation you would tend to have more of it into your top 10, I guess. Also, I personally do not find anime to be something as homogeneous as allow any labeling such as "fan in general".

To me it is so heterogeneous that it only makes sense to talk about liking specific genres or directors and most of my favorite animations are anime simply because most animation is anime: western animation is a tiny field, for instance, I know every single western animation that was mentioned in this thread (with the exception of a couple of shorts mentioned by Tyler1) while there are hundreds of anime classics that I never heard about. I just happen to specifically like the most famous anime director by chance, though I noticed that my tastes tend to converge to the famous stuff: favorite American director? Kubrick, favorite Japanese live action director? Kurosawa, favorite European director? Tarkovsky, etc.

Overall, I would think that if someone who is an adult and watches 20 hours of animation per week, after a couple of years, will tend to have only anime in his or her animation top 10.

FWIW here are my most recent thoughts on Ghost in the Shell and why I think it's not a good sci-fi film and not a good film period. I don't really have anything to add to that post at this time. I couldn't find my movie tab post on Toy Story 3 but I don't think I had much to say about it anyway; it's pretty forgettable.
I see. Well, I didn't find your criticism to be convincing (obviously, given I love it). I watched Ghost in the Shell for the first time when I was 14, it remained impregnated in my memory that when I watched it again, 9 years later, I still remembered most of it and it's interesting to view it from two different perspectives: of a teenager and of an adult. The first time I was very impressed but the second time I understood it better even though I wasn't as impressed.

But like, if you watched more anime than western animation you would tend to have more of it into your top 10, I guess. Also, I personally do not find anime to be something as homogeneous as allow any labeling such as "fan in general".

To me it is so heterogeneous that it only makes sense to talk about liking specific genres or directors and most of my favorite animations are anime simply because most animation is anime
Well, sure, I'm a fan of individual directors, but you're being kind of ridiculous, lecturing me that my list isn't dominated by all the anime I've seen while at the same time claiming terms like fandom don't make sense with respect to anime. If I had a list that was almost all anime I'd say I was a "fan in general", and I think most people from this planet would understand what I meant.

For my part, I'm having trouble making sense of your hypothetical non-fan who watches 20 hours of anime a week. How much of that 20 hours is taken up by series that aren't even eligible for this list, anyway?

1. Mary and Max
2. Les Triplettes de Belleville
3. Grave of Fireflies
4. Spirited Away
5. The Land Before Time
6. The Little Mermaid
7. The Hobbit
8. An American Tail
9. The Brave Little Toaster
10. Dumbo

Honorable mentions: The Thief and the Cobbler, The Secret of Nimh, Who Framed Roger Rabbit (not sure if it qualifies), Pinnocchio, UP, Monsters, Inc.

Most Overrated: The Lion King - I just remember when EVERYONE loved this movie and I just wasn't into it. Also, I'm just not big into Disney animations in general, with the exception of a few....

Note: I wrote this list out before reading everyone's posts, then edited it a few times as I went through everyone else's lists as I was reminded of films I couldn't think of at first. (Brave Little Toaster and Dumbo weren't on my list originally, for instance)...

Hmmmm so since I made this thread a week or so ago I tried to watch Akira but couldn't get through it. Its too grungy and I think probably fit much better in the time period it was released it.

I can't believe people think of lion king as overrated!!! It was the pinnacle of progress at the time. Music, animation, story, it tugged on the heart strings.

I still have a bunch of films to get through...my neighbor totoro is next.

I'll give spirited away another try I suppose...at least I was able to get through it without turning it off like Akira