Favorite foreign film

Tools    

Hey, new here, and sorta wanted to test the water out, sorry fi this is a common broad topic, but what is your favorite foreign film, director, actor, or whatever.

Film: Yojimbo ( my first kurosawa film, ..)

director: geuss....(Fellini's a runner up, some times anyway.)

Actor: Takeshis pretty fun, im tryin to remember the name of sharkskin from sharkskin man and peach hip girl, I could check, but im lazy...

City of Gods*Brazil).Cool characters,cool photography and great camera work. La Haine(French) is a close secound.

yeah, this thread has been done before a few times. feel free to post all about your kurosawa fandom here as well.

i'll take your yojimbo and raise ya a 'seventh seal'. go fish.
i'm also very fond of a few japanese films, vengeance is mine and the ballad of narayama [imamura], minbo and tampopo [itami] being a few. for animation i'll go with akira [otomo], horus: the little norse prince [takahata] and tale of tales [norstein]. bergman has done a couple of other decent films beside the sevent seal too, 'wild strawberries' f'r instance.
even kurosawa has his fare share of good movies: the seven samurai, ikiru, stray dog, ran, sanjuro etc. etc.
a few others that i like a lot are love and anarchy [wertmuller], seven beauties [wertmuller], to live, shanghai triad and raise the red lantern [yimou].

My favourite foreign movie is "Doberman"(French).

By foreign you mean non-American?

I`ll go with Il Buono, il Brutto, il Cattivo ("The Good, The Bad & The Ugly"). Italian, Sergio Leone, 1966.

France
1.Amelie Jean-Pierre Jeunet

2.Blue
3.Red Krzysztof Kieslowski
4.White

Germany
1.Run Lola Run Tom Twyker

Italy
1.Cinema Paradiso Giuseppe Tornatore
2.Life is Beautiful Roberto Benigni

Mexico
1.Amores Perro Alejandro Gonzalez
2.Y tu mama tambien Alfonso Cuaron

Argentina
1.Hombre mirando al sudeste
Eliseo Subiela
2.El lado obscuro del corazon

Spain
1.todo sobre mi madre Pedro Almodovar
2.Abrelos ojos Alejandro Amenabar

i forgot the cubans

1.Blaft
2.fresa y Chocolate
3.Vampiros en La Habana

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
Cool lists and welcome to the forum!

Easy call... straight outta Japan I gotta pick "Battle Royale".... up close on the list would be "Brotherhood of the Wolf" and "Cronos"... p.s... I love Sc-Fi & Horror if you can't tell.

I am having a nervous breakdance
There is a really good finnish film called Häjyt / The Tough Ones (1999) by Aleksi Mäkelä. It is a tragic comedy about three friends. Two of them have just been released from jail while the third one has become a cop. Well, it is hard to explain in a good way what it is about. But it is very good and it says a lot about the Finns.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Amores Perros.

Nothing even comes close.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by moviemandavid
Amores Perros.

Nothing even comes close.
Yeah, that's a good film.

Anyone seen any swedish films?

City Of God
La Dolce Vita
8 1/2
La Haine

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Ladri Di Biciclette (1948)
(The Bicycle Thief)

1. Amelie (french)
2. Lola Rennt (German)

The Bear with the Funk
Shower (japan)

One of my favorites is a japanese movie called Sugar Sweet!

all mine have been named already, darn.

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by bolverk
all mine have been named already, darn.
Let us know what they are so we know what your tastes are.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Hi
Branded to Kill Seijun Suzuki greatness.
I've posted lists in other places and im too lazy to make one here..