Do you suffer from Box set syndrome?

Tools    

Something about the box set gets my blood going.

I own these box sets:

Star Trek TNG seasons 1-7
Sopranos season 1
Godfather collection
Back to the Future
Buffy seasons 1-2

Today I will be getting A Nightmare On Elm Street collection.

I LOVE box sets and can't get enough of them.

Anybody else get a blood rush when confronted with a box set?

Originally posted by Saruman
Today I will be getting A Nightmare On Elm Street collection.

I bought A Nightmare On Elm Street boxed set when it was first released and let me tell you it is wildly addictive. As a fan of Freddy , I love it with a passion.

Something about the box set gets my blood going
Oh yes. Boxed sets are great. I just enjoy enjoy having the "entire" collection of a television, movie trilogy, or even cartoon series. I get a chill up my spine when having, in my hands, a boxed set.

I own such boxed sets as:

The Simpsons: Season One
The Simpsons: Season Two
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season One
The X-Files Season One
The X-Files Season Two
The X-Files Season Three
The X-Files Season Four
The X-Files Season Five
The X-Files Season Six
Nightmare On Elm Street Collection
24: Season One
Scream Trilogy
Back to the Future Trilogy (Sending in II and III in Feburary)
E.T.The Extra Terrestrial Collector's Boxed Set
Spiderman Collector's Boxed Set

Just a question, any of you buy movies from trilogies separately as they come out ( star wars prequels, LOTR) or will you wait for the boxed sets, when all three movies are released together.

I still buy single movies that are a part of a trilogy. I just can't wait that long for a box set.

I'm thinking of getting the 4 alien films separate.

I have such sets, on DVD and one very key trilogy on LaserDisc. Can't say they get my "blood going" exactly, but yeah, they're nice to have, particularly to have complete seasons sets of television series....and especially if somebody else buys 'em for you.

I've got...
  • the original Star Wars trilogy (Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi), LD - sorry, suckers!
  • The Godfather trilogy
  • the Dirty Harry collection (Dirty Harry, Magnum Force, The Enforcer, Sudden Impact, The Dead Pool)
  • the Alec Guinness collection (The Man in the White Suit, Kind Hearts & Coronets, The Ladykillers, Captain's Paradise, The Lavender Hill Mob)
  • the Back to the Future trilogy
  • The French Connection and The French Connection II
  • "The Sopranos", seasons one, two and three
  • "Twin Peaks", first season
  • "The Simpsons", seasons one and two
  • "Sports Night", the complete series
  • "The Mary Tyler Moore Show", first season
  • "M*A*S*H", the first season
  • "Malcolm in the Middle", first season
  • "The Larry Sanders Show", first season
  • "Mr. Show with Bob & David", seasons one and two
  • "The Awful Truth", seasons one and two
  • "Fawlty Towers", the complete series
  • "The Twilight Zone", set 2

If you want to include multiple disc "collectors editions" of individual films rather than film and television series packed together (jrs mentioned Spider-Man and E.T.), well that's a much, MUCH longer list.

I guess that's it. Most other film series I've either bought one at a time (such as Leone's "Dollars" trilogy, the Indiana Jones flicks on LD) or simply picked which of the series I wanted to own and bought 'em individually (like I have no interest in Alien3 or Alien: Resurrection, so I scooped up the first two only).
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally posted by frutkake
Just a question, any of you buy movies from trilogies separately as they come out ( star wars prequels, LOTR) or will you wait for the boxed sets, when all three movies are released together.

With trilogies it depends. Star Wars per say is one by one (so far) , with Episode I and Episode II. LOTR, even though I have the 4 Disc Expanded, am definitely buying Two Towers Extended Edition and then Return of the King. All Seperately.

To wait for a boxed set of LOTR? That's nerveracking!

As for TV shows and cartoon series, I always buy the boxed set.

i have..

the american pie boxset (dont kill, me please)
die hard 1+2
dirty harry (5 films)
the godfather trilogy
reservoir dogs
pulp fiction

Originally posted by leinad
i have.....die hard 1+2.....
pulp fiction

Thanks for reminding me leinad !

I too have Die hard yet I have THE boxed set - The Ultimate Collection.
As for Pulp Fiction I have that too.

i totally sympathize with the box sets. if something is good, i just want to keep watching it. i just bought the box set for queer as folk season 2. what other television box sets do you guys like besides x-files and buffy?

holden, you sure have a TV box set addiction! although i admire many of your choices, especially the simpsons, i respectfully disagree about the x files.

anyone else a TV box set junkie?

capt_jackie

Sir William Wallace
i got monty python set very very fun
ahahha sux0rz

isn't the box set for my so called life coming out soon??? anyone know where to find it?

All 19 episodes of "My So-Called Life" (1995) were already released together in a R1 five-disc boxed set in November of 2002. It retails for $90.

You can find it at any decent retailer I suppose, or at the very least they can special order it for you. Even easier, order it from any one of the on-line e-tailers, who should all have it in-stock and discounted.

Originally posted by Holden Pike

All 19 episodes of "My So-Called Life" (1995) were already released together in a R1 five-disc boxed set in November of 2002. It retails for $90.

You can find it at any decent retailer I suppose, or at the very least they can special order it for you. Even easier, order it from any one of the on-line e-tailers, who should all have it in-stock and discounted.
Gracias. Quite a show. Remarkably quotable considering its target audience.

Originally posted by frutkake

That was what happened with James Bond and some others.

If the films are pretty much the same, I keep the singles.

If the box set offers more for me, then I get rid of the singles in place of the box.

Lately, you will see a lot more box sets coming out faster than the singles.

I just watch CHARLES BRONSON ACTION SET, which is great! Yet, the titles were not on DVD as a single.

The other consideration is Investment. If you wanted to sell a set, then it would be more valuable by and large.

And last, amazon.ca (the Canadian store) has had killer deals on preorders for box sets.

Originally posted by Holden Pike
. . . am bored by "The X-Files".

I fetlt the same way when I first bought the VHS edition from Costco in the 1990's. Each set had about 3 episodes on a tape, and about half-way through the 2nd episode I thought "Gosh, when is thing going to DO SOMETHING!"

But I persisted into the 3rd one, and then got hooked on the multi-plots.

Starting out on X-Files with commericals is a downer. For me, I had to watch it from it's roots as a mini-series.