Movie from the 40's or 50's

Tools    

I saw this movie about 15 years ago at least. All I remember is that it was about survivors of a shipwreck that are left to drift in a tiny row boat. Maybe the ship was sunk during WWII? Anyway, one guy kinda becomes captain and as they run out of supplies, he sends some of the survivors off into the ocean. In the end, is found by an aircraft carrier or something like it and all the passengers get on except the captain because he knows he will be put in prison for sending those other people off to their death. It was probably made in the late 40's or early 50's because of the WWII angle. I know that it's not Alfred Hitchcock's Lifeboat. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
It was probably made in the late 40's or early 50's because of the WWII angle. I know that it's not Alfred Hitchcock's Lifeboat. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
There have been movies made with the WW II angle in more than just the 40's and 50's.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Looks like a good film. I can't remember seeing it.

Semper Fooey
Definitely Abandon Ship. There's a Gary Cooper movie with the same situation, Souls at Sea (1937), but it's set in the 19th century.